Another civ3 map editor?

pottu10

Chieftain
Is there any other editors than civ3edit :confused: because it doesn't work in 10.4.:cry: I'm also not using an intel mac so i can't use the pc editor. Can someone please help me.:( It has to be for vanilla.

There is only one Civ3 editor for Mac OS.

It still worked in 10.4 for me, before I upped to Leopard (apart from the magenta triangles which are irritating but not life threatening). How does it fail on your system?

Sorry, haven't been here for a while.:cool:
The editor starts up as it should but won't display the map, and complains about brushes and terrain types and it won't load any maps.:( How does it work on your computer?:confused: Could the problem be that i have iMac or that i run 10.4.10. I also tried searching :sad: for updates but didn't find any.

There are no updates, and as far as I am aware it will run on any Mac with any OS X version, at least since 10.2.On Tiger and Leopard it displays magenta triangles on the map, which is annoying, but doesn't stop it working.

It's a bit fussy about the config you run it in. It will only run when placed in a Civ3 vanilla folder where the Civ3 .bic file is from version 1.21g, and it must not be in a subfolder.

I can't find any Civ3.bic folder :sad: and the editor is in the civilization 3 folder. Still it won't work, is there any repair patches?:confused:

It's not a folder. It's a file called civ3mod.bic.

Are you sure your Civ3 is version 1.21g? It *will not work* with any other version.

if you have confirmed all of the above, and it still will not work, then either you are on a non-English version of Civ3, or maybe you are using a case-sensitive version of OS X.

Okay... now i know what the problem is!:) I am using 1.29:lol: , and think i have been trying to search an answer for a year now. Thanks.:woohoo: :hammer2: :banana: :bounce: :thanx: :deadhorse: LOL!
Thanks again.

Hey, I had the same problem. I'll go delete my Civ3Edit download from my drive.

I'm actually planning on getting Conquests to mod my Vanilla, but I'm not sure if it's available in mod form for Mac or if I"ll have to get Complete.

There are two variants of Civ3 for Mac.

1. Civ3 vanilla, produced by MacSoft, comes on CD at version 1.14g or some such, and can be patched to version 1.21g to run with Civ3Edit, or to 1.29b2 to be save-file-compatible with PC version 1.29f.

2. Civ3 Complete from Aspyr comes on DVD as C3C version 1.22. It also includes PtW 1.27, which is unsupported. It isn't an expansion pack or an upgrade, it's a new product. It doesn't have a native editor for the Mac, but it will run with a lot of the Windows-created mods out there. Be warned, some of the mods need a bit of tweaking to get them to run, though.

You can use the Windows editors if you have an Intel Mac, either using Bootcamp or one of the Windows compatibility products - VMWare Fusion, Parallels Desktop, or maybe Crossover. See this thread

Hello... i already own Civ3 vanilla for Mac, and just bought C3C for Mac today. it had been so long sense i had played my Civ3 i just thought that the original game didn't have the editor included in it and thought C3C would.
Having read this post a number of times now i understand there is no real editor for C3C. However this thread and a number of other threads mention a editor for vanilla! but when i search for this i come up empty and any links from these threads say the url can't be found or they don't have the download anymore.
Is it still possible for me to download this editor someplace? I am pretty upset about this. Feeling like i wasted my money buying C3C. Editing the Civ games to me is the best part.

Is it still possible for me to download this editor someplace? I am pretty upset about this. Feeling like i wasted my money buying C3C. Editing the Civ games to me is the best part.

You'd have a case claiming you "waster" your money on a mac. A lot of game mac ports lack editors. And civ3 is not an exception, unfortunately. Civ4's editor is integrate into the game, and therefor, ported, but Civ4 has other mod issues that where not ported, or properly cross-platform.

The Vanilla editor is crappy though, you can't do much with it. The C3C editor is far better. Also, it produces files that don't include the expansion features.

If you want the editor, you must use the windows editor, but, you are lucky! It is possible to use the windows Civ3 editor (which is a free download) in combination with the mac C3C installation. If you have either bootcamp or virtualization software such as VMWare or Parallels, or VirtualPC.

The Civ3 version number is displayed on the main menu screen screen, bottom left corner.

I finally found a working link for the Civ3 map editor for Mac and downloaded it, but other than telling me to put it in the game file there is no info on "unpacking" or installing it. Can someone help please! I'm feigning to edit units and maps, haven't been able to do that since '02!

hi. I recommend that you get Civ3 Complete and look at Quintillus' Cross Platform Civ3 editor.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=377188

If you really insist on trying to get the obsolete and buggy version 1.21g of Civ3 working, then please tell me the precise name of the editor file you have found, and I'll try to help you.

Nope, never mind that old file, I appreciate the info. That just didn't come up in my initial searches. I'm exploring Quintillus' editor now, thanks!

Quintillus editor is one I would suggest - based on my experience as an active member of the C&C community. It's still in development. He is very responsive to requests for features from people who are using it. When completed it will be able to do many more things than the firaxis editor.

Top Bottom