1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Classic SG ...

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Stories & Tales' started by Andu Indorin, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Andu Indorin

Andu Indorin Retired Druid

Just referencing the code-name for the WWII operation for the invasion of Kyushu before the decision was made to drop the bomb. My father was scheduled to take part in that operation. Guess that's makes me a "Nuke Baby."

Let's see what Kev can do.

2. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

Oh I think that Kev the Easter Bunny may throw a party and invite lots of folks -- didn't he once empty out a bunch of cities and invite the barbarians in?

3. TimTheEnchanter

TimTheEnchanter I...am...an Enchanter!

Yes indeed he did, hence my comment about Loki. I had just completed a killer set of turns but had screwed up the game version when I rebuilt my computer after a hard drive crash. That gave the opportunity for Kev to do his damage, then I had to come in and try to clean up the mess.

(Not to give him any ideas, but simply starving/disbanding the Wonder-ful town of Belfast right now would change our situation dramatically.)

4. Kev

Kev Hired Goon

Hello all

Sorry for the delay, but with the holiday I was out of town.

Thank you all for allowing me access to this game - I was very disappointed when I could not join from the start, but I'd be happy to join in.

While I won't "pull a Loki" on you all, my rustiness combined with not following the total game may look as if I did. I will try to keep status quo and pass along - possibly to someone else to wreck completely.

I will play and post this eve (Tues night EST).

Good to be back!

5. Kev

Kev Hired Goon

Wow. It's late and I just finished my turns.

I was so far removed from Civ2 that I probably just messed everything up. Still, I did not have any barbarians over for company.

I was looking forward to a cute little story interspersed with relevant Irish references, but given the time and given that I've held up the game long enough I hope you will not mind a more "MACRO" version of my turns.

The Tale of Kevyn the Unready

920 (0)

There once was a man from Dubh-Linn
    Who was considered as lazy as sin
    In 920 AD
    Came the people's decree
    And saw lazy Kevyn sworn in

The president then shook his head
    And turned to his council and said
    Build more boats for the seas
    And cut down some trees
    I'm heading back to my bed

I just am not up on the game, so I just took the tact of one who just does no know history. Interestingly, this could probably describe the last several US Presidents.

I figure with Bach about to come on board that our happiness was going to start coming under control. Still, I wanted to start disbanding the caravels and use the shields to rush some galleons. It would give us a few extra spaces to move and nip the unhappiness a bit.

I also wanted to get some new cities built. There were a few supported settlers that would be key for this. I could never keep track as to how many cities would increase unhappiness and all that jazz, so I just went for it.

Decided to hold off on trading techs so the English would not benefit. Thought briefly about getting econ from the Americans and getting Adam Smith's built, but I did not know where they stood on that, and I did not want the English to get econ in the mean time.

940 (1)

Kevyn slept for near twenty years
    And awoke to the glare of his peers
    Some new cities we need
    He said with all speed
    And rested while they trained engineers

Yes, rushed a few engineers and caravans with the nice pool of money given to me. Nothing too exciting here.

Americans discovered gunpowder and they started Adam Smith's. Rats, guess I could have gone for Econ and been able to get it for us.

960 (2)

Electricity has shown us the light
    But to Kevyn this presented a plight
    Wait for a Clapper he said
    As he stayed in his bed
    Reaching for switches just isn't right

The Celts discover Electricity and disable the Great Library. We are given the choices of Chivalry, Conscrption, and Theroy of Gravity. I chose TOG even though we probably won't bother with Newton's.

Just some more moving about of engineers, ships and caravans.

The Japanese discover invention.

980 (3)

To trade is the essence of wealth
    And better than trying by stealth
    Trade knowlede and maps
    Said Kevyn between naps
    It beats doing it all for yourself

Well, no maps, but we traded for some stuff. The Americans sympathize with us, but will not trade. Not sure if this is us growing in power or because they are building a wonder and don't wish to trade.

We do get 200 gold from the Spanish and 100 gold from the Vikings. The Vikes offer us Chivalry in a trade, but I turn it down. I want to keep horsemen available for rush building.

The Japanese offer engineering, but want gunpowder. They accept Steam Engine instead.

The Vikes discover Bridge Building
    The Spanish Discover Medicine
    The Japanese start the Eiffel Tower

The most Advanced civ is the Celts!

1000 (4)

Kevyn's people were starting to weep
    For the filth in the streets was quite deep
    Given them water, he said
    From his Craftmatic bed
    Just keep them quiet while I'm trying to sleep

With some "We love the Pres" days, I rushed some aqueducts so our core cities might grow a bit.

Am I worried about the overall effect on happiness and all that? I probably should be but I did it anyway. Bah.

1020 (5):

Kevyn had a sister named Kerry
    Who wanted to move out of Derry
    Build a city up north
    And with your children go forth
    The resulting silence will make me quite merry

The city of Kerry was built with a supported settler that will take advantage of four specials. I'd like to use it as an engineer factory eventually for colonizing further north.

Japan almost done with Eiffel
    Americans discover TOG and start Newton

1040 (6):

Kevyn once awoke from a snooze
    And was finally given the news
    A city was founded they say
    Near Guiness that day
    Kevyn decided to stick to the booze

Harp was founded near Guiness. Just filling up area as I fear the barbs.

An exploring NON-caravel and diplomat find a hut with 100 gold.

America's patience is thin
    Spain gives us 50 gold
    Vikes give us 100 gold
    English think we are too puny for peace
    Japanese have nothing to over

Nagoya builds Eiffel Tower

Part II to come

6. Kev

Kev Hired Goon

1060 (7):

Kevyn had just had enough
    For travel by horse was too rough
    By sea is by sail
    And land should be rail
    As he went back to bed in a huff

We have Theory of Gravity and were given several choices to study. I chose railroad because I like to have rail lines and because some day I (or the next player) may wish to go for Darwin. It probably messes things up somehow to get rr, but I can't remember why so I just did it anyway :)

Hey, we've got 5,000,000 citizens now. Hmm... Maybe we should start protecting some of them.... NAH.

1080 (8):

When Kevyn was calling in sick
    Twas his scotch that always did the trick
    While he surely got well
    His servants got hell
    And in turn they made fun of his small..... ears

The city of Glenfiddich was founded. It is a canal city of sorts and fits in well with the city of Kerry.

A gems caravan to Viborg gives us 360 gold.

The Spanish give us 100 gold

English become a republic.

1100 (9):

There once was a man from Dinas Emrys
    But we don't really know who he is
    He made the Celts proud
    But was much too loud
    And Kevyn erased him from histories

Not too much this year. Dinas Emrys was built on the home continent. Want to fill in some areas and I was able to use another supported settler.

Japanese discover gunpowder on their own
    Vikes discover gravity
    Americans are a democracy and are almost done with Newton's

1120 (10):

Kevyn was not there to greet
    The Spanish when they came to meet
    Give them some silk he said
    From the comfort of bed
    Just leave me enough for my sheets

Silk caravan from Dubh Linn to Granada nets 1,012 gold.

The city of Cardigan is built. I can't even remember where it is now. I'm tired.

A hut gives us another 100 gold

1140 (11):

Said Kevyn more often than not
    That the Celts were an industrious lot
    So go forth and build
    Or whatever you will
    Just be sure you leave me a cot

With the caravan delivery, we get railroad. I was given choices of Atomic Theory, Econ, Industrialization, and Leadership. I KNOW that once we get industrialization it affects something. Guess what. Yeah, I chose that. Still thought it was better than the other crud we could study.

Bangor Silver to Granada gets us 507 gold.

Vikings and Japanese declare peace.
    Spanish discover Engineering
    English discover RR and start Darwin

1160 (12):

For Kevyn it was finally time
    He had stayed 40 years past his prime
    He was unready to lead
    And lazy indeed
    And his name was a true pain to rhyme

Well, I took two more turns because I wanted to see how the Dye caravan turned out that was going to hit Valladolid this turn. But, the dopey city went into disorder so I did not deliver. Stupid city.

I did trade the Americans steam engine for econ and physics for sanitation. No gift - patience wearing thin.

Sorry I did not get too much done. I am a terrible micromanager and it was all made worse by not playing in years and the fact that I was too lazy to read the past accounts in detail.

There are a good number of caravans being built on the home island, and we can probably get Darwin if we really, really wanted.

I tried to get the ship chain of galleons together, but they are still not fully set up yet. Still some tweaking to do. There is also still a caravel out there that is supported and can be disbanded later. There is a NON caravel that is exploring new lands. I realize now it probably would have been better to just suck it up with the caravels and wait on transports now that we're close to industrialization, but this is the great part of weak leadership: more skilled players can look even better by comparison. :)

I look forward to following things from here.

Now let's see if I can remember how to attach a game file.

Attached Files:

7. TheViking

TheViking The world is not enough

Great to see Civ2 is working on Kev's machine. Things are looking good IMO, our empire is almost unrecognizable when compared to what it looked like when I played several weeks ago.

IMO what we should do is expand, expand, expand ! We need lots of engineers now, both to build railroad everywhere and to expand towards Japan by founding cities on the islands north of Glenfiddich (there is a NONE horsemen unit on one of these). There are also several nice city sites in the western (partially unexplored) part of our main island and founding cities there also gets us closer to our allies the evil Vikings.

Also we have lots of size 1 cities. It probably makes sense to add engineers to them to quickly get them to size 3 so they can start celebrating. To accomplish this neighboring, big, celebrating cities can crank out engineers every two turns without shrinking (Drogheda, Galway and maybe Guinness are obvious candidates).

It is now obvious that any wars in this game will be conducted using modern weapons :nuke:.

8. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Warlord

I guess I'm up - good! I'll try and take a look at it and play my turns by Saturday.

9. Kev

Kev Hired Goon

I'm thinking the same thing. Given the quickenss in tech advancing and the physical distance to our more advanced competition, I would say we woud be in danger of losing the space race unless we are going to build a ship ourselves. At the very least, we will probably be in a nuclear situation once we get the chance to take on the English and/or the Americans at war

I'm not quite up on the house rules we set up. I'm assuming we're going to try to keep our rep spotless, not bribe the AI (other than barb units) and all the usual, but I'm not sure what conditions of victory we are allowing for ourselves.

Speaking of bribing barbs, I had considered sending a dip or two near Skara and bribing some barb units there. I think they'd be NONE units, and perhaps once we had a bunch they could take Skara for ourselves. However, Kev was too lazy.

10. Andu Indorin

Solid set of turns Kev.

Well, we should getting working on those "Early Modern" warfare units: Cavalry, Alpine Inf., Artillery, and Spies ... And, of course, keep an eye out for the UN.

11. TheViking

TheViking The world is not enough

Yes, spies are always useful and also cavalry and artillery if we can start building it before anyone discovers conscription. Japan is a particularly tempting target :ar15: (I'm assuming we'll have discovered tactics a few turns from now). For strategic reasons I think we need to found cities at (60,196) and (64,188). This enables us to sail between these two islands in one turn. Founding a city at (65,189) only is also possible.

12. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Warlord

Midnight and must hit the sack. Have finished my turns - will post in the morning. Oh oh!!!!!!

Attached Files:

• pr.jpg
      pr.jpg
      File size:
      6.5 KB
      Views:
  13. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Warlord

I must confess that when I first looked at the situation I couldn’t pinpoint one particular thing to focus on. Nice wonders available or coming up very soon, the need for engineers for rails and possibly adding into our small size 1 or 2 cities in preparation for celebrating, expansion, the ever present trade deliveries, and maybe starting a bit of a military. After staring blankly at the screen for some time I decided to chase the wonders while trying to extend our reach on the trading front. I liked the idea of having rails on the original island, with ships linking to the other islands and their rail networks – Viking’s city sites for joining the islands look good. Maybe we can then extend our ship chain up to the Americans with their big juicy cities.

At the start I see that the AI has no techs we don’t have, and they’re researching pretty lame stuff too (I think the Spanish learning Chivalry is the only thing we don’t know). The English claim to be researching nothing – eejits! (bit of Irish slang in case it’s not familiar). So it’s up to our clever boffins to make progress without much help for now.

So without further ado I’ll have a craic at achieving something. (Ho ho – hugely impressive Irish play on words!)

1160(0) - I muck about with a few little bits of workers here and there. A bit of rush buying of vans etc.

Japan develops Railroads and begins Darwin! They swap it with the Vikes for University. The Japs have a lot of gold so they may race to Darwin, and I quite fancy it myself. We shall see…

1180(1) – 7 vans built, 1 library and 1 aqueduct too. Belfast begins building Darwin. Viking’s beloved dye van from Dundalk arrives in Valladolid and rewards us with 358g (D). Tech will be done next turn.

I decide to send the galleon with 4 vans in it to Spain as the demand is there and none in Japan.

TSL set to 60/10/30 – net 371g per turn.

1200(2) – Industrialization learnt. (Atomic Theory, The Corporation, Leadership, Refrigeration, Steel). Quite a few red hats appear after the tech, but nothing to be overly concerned with. No rebellion at 30%.

Caravel up north finds English but the dip doesn’t land as I think they’ll demand something and I want to avoid that.

Visit Spanish, request gift, and they leave! Americans demand railroad which I give. They don’t give me anything. End.

TSL set to 70/0/30 – Darwin the goal.

The Americans have nearly completed Isaac Newton, and they abandon the SoL.

1220(3) – Portmarnock and Wexford founded. More IRB of vans, couple of harbors, engineer etc.

Japanese have nearly completed Darwins! All will be in place next turn for me to steal out from under them! Muahaha!
    Vikes develop Economics, change from Isaac Newton to ASTC. Americans start ATSC. Washington builds Isaac Newton’s College.

1240(4) – vans disbanded in Belfast and 20 shields bought to complete Darwin.

Lahinch & Ballybunion founded.

Spend gold down to 582g.

Vikes get Engineering and Invention from Japs, who get Theory of Gravity and Economics in return. English develop Industrialization and start Womens Suffrage!

1260(5) – Belfast builds Darwin’s Voyage. Women’s Suffrage started in Belfast. Japs change to ASTC.
    Corporation discovered, (Atomic Theory, Conscription, Steel, Refrigeration).
    Steel discovered, Communism selected for UN.

TSL to 10/60/30.

Dundalk gems to Kyoto (N) 206g, Derry Dye to Kyoto (D) 227g, Galway van (forgot what) to Osaka 159g. Note that I’m going to call them all vans here, whether they’re camels or freight trucks – freight is too hard to type!

Kyoto builds Adam Smiths Trading Company, Americans change to SoL, Vikes abandon. Japanese learn Physics.

1280(6) – More vans built etc. Waterford silk to Seville (D) 712g. Tech done so will leave the others until the next turn.

Spanish visited, Metallurgy gifted, they give us 50g. Swap maps with Americans, no gift. Visit Vikes who are uncooperative, give demanded Industrialization, then give The Wheel (ha!), Physics. Cordial now, so maps swapped, and they give us 25g. End

Vikings begin Womens Suffrage. Spanish learn Chivalry.

PEASANT REVOLT NEAR LAHINCH!!! Oh no, that very valuable 1 horse town on an otherwise unpopulated island. And the rebellion is not that near. Yawn.

1300(7) – Communism - (Atomic Theory, Electronics, Espionage, Genetic Engineering, Leadership, Refining, Refrigeration).

RB a dip in Lahinch to form a little defence. Merthyr salt to Saragossa (N) 126g, Cork silver to Seville (D) 670g, Bangor gems to Seville (D) 720g. 2495 gold in the pot.

Here I did what is likely a stupid thing. :confused: Flush with all that gold, the dip in the NONE caravel way up north bribes 2 English vans. I have great ideas of shipping them up to the Americans since the ship isn’t that far away, but then I suddenly realise that I have no idea what sort of payoff (if any) a NONE van provides!?!??? This confusion will continue through the rest of my turns – so please enlighten me – do they need to be rehomed??

I meet the English – no to war with America, I give in to their demands for Metallurgy, but still they refuse a peace treaty. End

IRB down to 941g.

Spanish get Gunpowder from the Japs, Americans develop Atomic Theory.

1320(8) – Electronics – (Atomic Theory, Conscription, Refrigeration).

All this while I have been producing a few engineers and they are busy railroading the main island, and will ship over to the next island when they can.

Durrow silk to Osaka (D) 316g. Galway salt to Kyoto (N) 294g.

Visit Americans, swap Industrialization for Atomic Theory, no to war with England and demand for Electronics. No gift. Vikes give us 50g, Spain 25g.

TSL to 0/80/20 to ensure tech next turn. Vans disbanded to complete Women’s Suffrage next turn. I haven’t had any warnings but I really want to get started on the U.N. soon since Communism has killed off MPE. Am flying blind in terms of what the AI are researching, and both U.N. and Hoover are vital IMO. Also, Belfast is only producing 10 shields per turn so not much is gained by waiting for it to add some shields (5 turns = 1 van).

1340(9) – Espionage selected over Conscription, Genetic Eng, Leadership, Refining.

Belfast grants Women’s Suffrage. Vikes abandon, as do the English. UN started in Belfast.

Drogheda gems to Osaka (N) 196g. Gems demand has pretty much dried up. TSL now set to 60/10/30 as tech will be done next turn. IRB – gold down to 330 remaining.

Americans nearly complete SoL.

1360(10) – Espionage (Conscription, Genetic Engineering, Leadership, Refining[\B], Refrigeration).

1 barb musket near Lahinch bribed for 61g, and it promptly loses a fight to another musket. Doh!!! Sloppy play here. :(

Tara copper to Kyoto (D) 259g, Kerry silk to Osaka (D) 222g. TSL 10/60/30 again. Net +13g, 6 turns for discoveries.

Lahinch builds a spy.

Spanish give us 25g, Vikes 50g.

Situation:

The barbs are still there but there should be time to deal with them (if you don’t do dumb things like I did). Only 1 city at risk (size 1) so either way not a big deal. The caravel in the area has a dip I was going to drop on the island – maybe get a engineer to build a fort – from memory there is a handily placed hill which could provide the barbs with something to bash themselves against while being bribed away (although the hill might be too close to Lahinch and the units wouldn’t be NONEs).

The ship chain is a mess – sorry! The deliveries to Spain, and then some other vans from different islands all appearing at the same time meant I had to get things out of shape to get them there quicker.

The rails are finished on the main island and my team has just begun on the Drogheda island. I’ve got a transport going between there and Dundalk. We could do with a ship linking Killarney to Galway too. The rest of the ship chain can be moved further north once then engineers railroad up to Wexford and then found a city on the next island within reach.

2 vans are near Kyoto, but only the coal one is demanded – the silk one can move a bit further and find demand.

4 vans have just left Galway – coal, silk and gems.

There are 6 vans in Belfast, and the UN could be built right now if you wanted to spend some cash and the vans. A few more vans will be ready next turn too. Up to the next player – how long do you mind not knowing what the AI is doing now that MPE has expired? I don’t think the AI is near Electronics – haven’t seen any notices re starting Hoover of the UN.

You could also build the SoL if you wanted to deprive the Americans of it next turn, but can’t see the point myself.

Here’s the save:

Attached Files:

14. Andu Indorin

Well, the bad news is, we're not supposed bribe AI units, just Barbs. Nor are we allowed to rehome caravans. The good news is that it's possible that even if we did rehome the caravans, the "payoff" may not have been the worth the money spent on bribing the two vans in the first place ...

So, I'd say ... Oops!

15. Kev

Kev Hired Goon

I know that I didn't do anything toward do so, but it may certainly be time to think about a civ to take out in military fashion. I realize that we will have the AI outclassed from here on out (unless sabotage occurs Loki-style), but with some trading of techs and alliances against us that will soon ensue, they could give us some fits in a space race or at least be a pain to our best laid plans.

My first thought is the Japanese. They are close, don't have too many cities, and if they decide to sneak attack we may be caught unaware. This would especially be true with regard to our shipping lanes running north.

It becomes more tempting knowing Adam Smith is waiting for us there. Compared to the Vikings, I think they are indeed the best target to hit if we decide to erase them. I don't think they are allied with anyone either, which could make it nicer (I don't know if we are still allied with the Vikings or not).

Just a thought. Would love to hear of some warring in the game for my own entertainment purposes.

16. Andu Indorin

Why not. Let's go bonk some heads.

17. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Warlord

Darn it! - I looked at the first page of posts, and couldn't find the list of house rules. Found it now. Apologies....:blush:

Maybe we just push them off the boat and sink them (or gift them back).

A fool and his money....

18. Andu Indorin

Well, we could always land them back in England and have them fall victim to the inevitable sneak attack. That way at least reputation remains spotless.

19. TimTheEnchanter

TimTheEnchanter I...am...an Enchanter!

It's not like sharkbait was the first one. I think the very boat they're sitting in was similarly ill-gotten.

20. Andu Indorin

Oops again ... ;) I guess we're all a little out of practice.