1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Feminist Movie Crashes and Burns

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zardnaar, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Well it looks like Birds of Prey is joining Terminator Dark Fate, Men in Black reboot, Charlie's Angels as box office cancer.

Even if your not an alt righter, women didn't go see these movies either.

Beats me why a male would go either. The subcontext is you're toxic, you get lectured and pay for the privilege.

Note these movies are also franchises. Even from a diversity pov you're getting less diversity in the long run. No sequels for franchises means no more representation.

If these types of movies keep bombing (and they will) eventually they'll stop making them.

How to make a good feminist movie? Labyrinth, Aliens, Terminator 1&2 etc. But no ham fisted is a better idea right?

2. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

wonder woman did good

3. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

As always write good stories and people will reward you, write crap and they will not

Culture War or no

4. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

The only review I saw on Birds of Prey said it was surprisingly good for a DC movie.

Oh, and to answer the OP, ok Boomer/snowflake.

5. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

My local paper gave it 3 out of 4 stars via the Tribune News Service.

6. gangleri2001

gangleri2001 Garbage day!!!

By making a good movie. Not giving a **** about representation. Just tell a good story and don't care if your characters are straight white males or black lesbians. Just tell a good and compelling story and people will go and pay to see it. The recent success of Joker, a movie about a... STRAIGHT WHITE MALE (!) that moved people of all races, sexualities and other different backgrounds in this Netflix era to go to the theatres and pay to watch it to the point that it is the first rated R movie with more than one billion in the box office is good proof of this. That's how you do it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    GenMarshall, luiz and Narz like this.
  7. Patine

Patine Deity

I think I've watched less than 10 movies in the theatres since the turn of the 21st Century. Hollywood has frankly jumped the shark, for the most part, and has mostly lost the ability to make movies - at least ones slated as "blockbusters," and "comedies," (comedies are supposed to be "funny,") - almost completely, regardless of directors, purported social stance or agenda, genre, or "dairy farm" studio milking their old cash cows. There's been a few alright ones - but they're far and few between. RIP Hollywood...

GenMarshall likes this.
  8. Arwon

Arwon

At this point I have to assume Zard just thinks "feminist" means "has women leads".

9. Commodore

Commodore Deity

The OP didn't really say anything about reviews, but rather that it is bombing at the box office, meaning people aren't paying to see it. And it doesn't matter what critics think of the movie, if it doesn't make a profit there isn't going to be any future for the franchise it is a part of since money rules all, even art.

10. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Me, seeing this from the front page: "I bet this is a Zardnaar thread."

Hey, whaddya know!

The movie still ranks first. The beginning of February is extremely weak for movie releases. The movie also won't air in China. It'll still break even financially. It may not be a hit but it's hardly a "crash and burn" due to the evils of feminism.

Your shtick has become boring.

11. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

As of right now there is no indication that it isn't going to make a profit. But of course that fact doesn't fit the "crash and burn" narrative that Zardnaar is building.

Thorvald of Lym and Gorbles like this.
  12. Patine

Patine Deity

I myself would not judge this movie either way based on such declarative and arbitrary labels applied exonymously alone. However, I might hold it being a 21st Century Hollywood blockbuster against it, and no original IP, but remaking old IP's from decades ago in a new story and context. But that problem would apply to a VERY BROAD sweep of Hollywood today, and is a BIG issue I have with most new releases, regardless.

13. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

I think he goes more by whatever his favorite youtube commentators are saying.

14. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Couple this with really poor taste in YouTube commentators and you have...well...Donald Trump.

15. Arwon

Arwon

I can see the original Alien being pretty feminist in theme since its main point seems to be being a horror movie that terrifies men about rape, and the Labyrinth is a very sexualised coming of age story which concludes with a denouement about realising one's autonomy and agency!

But I'm struggling with the feminist themes of the Terminator movie, much less any of the warmed over old franchises listed (the DC movieverse has its issues hanging over all new entrants, and was anyone asking for a Terminator, Charlie's Angels or Men in Black movie in the year 2019 of our lord?)

16. Arwon

Arwon

I just checked and its opening weekend in Australia was a bit under 3 million, about the same as Shazam or Detective Pikachu last year, a lot more than the last X Men movie. Those first two both seem to have ended up doing fine.

17. MaryKB

MaryKB Goddess Supporter

When Gemini Man flopped, where was your post "Another movie about men bombs?"

This thread is nothing but flame bait. We have a thread where you can discuss movies you've seen, and comment on what you think it's merits (or lack thereof are)

Are you happy this movie didn't break records? That's incredibly sad, you seem to be fixated on these.

18. Arwon

Arwon

Knives Out was fantastic and now we're getting a sequel

19. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Opening weekend covered the production budget, about a third of total budget. Unless it falls completely off the planet it is going to make money.

20. Arwon

Arwon

It's got a good buzz too, reviews have made me interested in seeing it when by default I wasn't interested because most of the DC ones have sucked