1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Game-Over you lose card

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by obsolete, Oct 24, 2009.

1. TheWilltoAct

TheWilltoAct I am observe

It's also hard to understand just what the heck you are talking about.

2. bestsss

bestsss Emperor

Yeah, yeah... you aint so bad, yet not easy to get along w/...

See, w/ guys even easier: make food, <snip>, let him watch sport, drink w/ friends... you'll never hear a complain.

Moderator Action: Inappropriate Content - warned
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

3. Zeiter

Zeiter Prince

I've always wondered what the deal was with the random number of barbs spawns from hostile villagers. Sometimes it's 1, sometimes it's like 7. What's going on here? And is not 7 a little excessive in any circumstance? That's like a mini Vedic invasion event.

>>"Fred Flinstone & his gang of stone-age clubmen have risen up to plunder the riches of civilization."
    >>>>"We are likely to take the brunt of the assault."

4. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

I think there's an equal random chance for each valid tile around the hut. I think a hut with 8 empty tiles around it can theoretically spawn 8 of them. Assuming the probability p per tile is less than 0.5 (just a guess) it would be exceptionally unlucky to get 8 of them even when it was possible (work out the binomial probability ;)). The average is probably about 3.

5. TheLazyHase

TheLazyHase King

AFAIK there are 2 barbaian result on hut. The lesser one giving 1-3 and the greater giving... Up to 8.

6. banson

banson Warlord

man, so many post about game over.. maby we could all just play a aliens civ mod from the movie.
    when we we get conquored by them a big screen comes up saying...GAME OVER MAN

7. ppciv4

ppciv4 Warlord

we are all loser against Mr.Death, but mostly we don't kill ourself after knowing that.

8. siggboy

siggboy Monarch/Epic

I've had a stack of four HORSE ARCHERS spawn on me at around 3000 BC or so (NOT kidding here). I've even made a thread back then because it was so ridiculous; as I understand that has been nerfed with the latest patch.

The Vedic Aryans are still very annoying, unless they kill an AI (that has happened to me as well), when they are simply unbalancing. Not long ago they snatched my neighbours capital, killing that civilization; of course I took that city a few turns later. Of course that probably won't happen on high difficulties (I play Monarch) due to better initial AI defenses.

Anyway, some of the positive random events are way out of line as well, e.g. the free shock promotion for Axemen -- that's just ridiculous.

I usually turn off all random events, it just makes no sense to me playing with them.

9. dirtyparrot

dirtyparrot Upholding Brannigan's Law

I sort of can't help but laugh when one of these barb hordes travel half way around the world and through 2 AI territories even though the event was never announced on the screen.

10. Silu

Silu Deity

AFAIK the last patch didn't do anything to them. The same trigger requirements apply - some tech requirements and the city closest to the spawning barbs needs to be able to build the counterunit (Spears for the Huns). If that someone is able to build Spears there's a chance that you are able to build some kind of unit better than Warriors as well so generally they're not as bad as Vedics (which can always trigger when you only have Warriors on Monarch+ barring some bizarre Archery beeline).

They are annoying if you don't get the event announcement due to not having met the triggering Civ yet, though, as dirtyparrot noted.

11. TheWilltoAct

Some posters have had the Vedic Aryans kill a rival AI to their detriment, as another AI was able to rush into that area and settle it (and become mega powerful as a result). :sad:

ARCHERY BEELINE ARE THE SUPERIOR KNOW IT KNOW IT WELL :mwaha:

12. CornPlanter

CornPlanter Emperor

I too feel the same way so I keep events on. And I like them, mostly. Even annoying slave revolt is a nice one, adds some flavor, some little downside to otherwise perfect slavery. But, I do not hesitate to load after some particularly stupid events, like Aryans or even Hurricane. You have to draw a line somehwere. In cases like this I dont feel like reloading is cheating. Its only a way to deal with bs from Firaxis side.

That said I consider turning them off completely, cuz current way is a bit of cheating in some sense, because I do not load when said events strike AI :)

13. TheWilltoAct

What if the AI reloaded when something went poorly for it LOL

ctd, wtf!?

14. dirtyparrot

dirtyparrot Upholding Brannigan's Law

You're being kind. Imagine the WB being in the hands of the AI. Or if the AI mysteriously quit in frustration. Screw this being a vassal garbage, I have better things to do...

15. SillyGoat

SillyGoat Warlord

I once lost a Marathon game before turn 15 due to an AI popping a hut just outside my borders. I'd moved my warrior in the opposite direction (chasing another hut) and figured that I'd get the hut when my borders popped at turn 15. Nope. I popped the other hut for a map that showed an AI's border about 10 tiles from mine. A couple of turns later I get a pop-up "London has been captured by the Barbarian State". I stared at my screen in shock and disbelief. It was a major WTF? moment until I figured out what must have happened. (the AI popped the hut resulting in a warrior right outside my undefended capital)

AFAIK, I hold the world's record for "fastest loss at Civ 4". :smug:

I still play with events and huts on, and I take the bad with the good. It all evens out in the long run.

16. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

It is very questionable however what the long run has to do with anything. I want my individual games to not be broken by events even though I know that someday the events will be favorable to me.

17. jdstacey

jdstacey Chieftain

I normally play with events off, but I figured I'd give them another try yesterday. Short story: Vedic Aryans in 2850 BC validate my original opinion. Random events are off again.

18. Mikehendi

Mikehendi IDHEOMHRN

Probably not. When I started my first "Always War" game, I happily selected worker first sent my warrior out to explore. I don't believe I ever saw turn 10...

19. BobRoberts

BobRoberts Warlord

All seems really negative - 'barbs ate my city' - kind of stories here!

I've had silly gamebreakingly good luck with events before as well.

In one game as the ottomans, beelined to Gunpowder, captured pyramids off a neighbour. Tried out early Police State out of curiousity. Got an event adding March to all current and future gunpowder units - which is just silly.

By far and away the silliest was having 3 of these uprising events on my borders in 1 game - each with large stacks of strong units for the time. After I'd built the Great Wall... was going to muck around trying an espionage economy. I got several good cities off my neighbours lands without a DoW just following behind the barbs.

On the huts, they can really swing things - super early techs are potentially messy.

I do prefer them and the huts switched off for competitive games, but it's not *that* a big deal.

20. KaytieKat

KaytieKat King

Hi

I've lost a few games to events or at least just said phooey and started and quit in disgust (that losing the forge WHILE Im not ONLY building Collosus but have just chopped the last tree to get to withing 5 turns completion grrrr. Someone once said that if you rebuild it you start at point wehre you left off b4 losing the forge but still in the bc's the forge itself can be a mini wonder hammerwise so it still a pain and I just say heck with this game just on principle) and the archer thing has messed me up sometimes. Not JUST from killing me I remember a game where Izzy founds two religons in her cap gets killed by barbs (and you know that when they kill a city like that they just move on and leave the city empty and unguarded) so Ghengis gets a free 2nd capitol with two religions in it and by time I meet him he has like forty cities funded by the shrines that ended up there.

I'm not particularly fond of Vocalnoes that have eaten as many as FOUR towns I spent all those turns growing. Or getting a slave revolt at bad times (I dont mind the loss of turn so much but having my city drop from 4 to 3 JUST as I am getting ready to 2 pop whip something can really fry my cheese) But that said I still leave them and the huts on. They can be entertaining in their lameness like "Yay pluss 1 commerce on a plain desert tile gee thanks!" Or handy (that plus 2 hammer to your iron mine can be spiffy if it happens in bc's :) and who DOESNT pray for that herb event that can give plus 2 free health to your civ to happen EVERY game? ) or just downright awesome (try playing mixed leaders game with rome led by alex and get events where all melee get cover, then sword quest where all swords get cityraider 1 so you get combat1,cover,cityraider1,cityraider2 out of all cities with a barracks :D )so all and all I think they do add more fun than they take away. And not only are the gamebreakingly bad events rare I would say 99% of those rare times happen at points so early in the game you really dont have TOO much time invested.

But I play on the lower levels still --I can see how on the very high difficulties there where diplomacy can be MUCH more important how an event that causes sudden war or even just drops a civ from friendly to pleased at a bad time can totally mess things up through NO fault of your own). ANd I admit I zapped the global warming event just cuz it is for me the ONE event that happens WAAY too often and occurs at point where I HAVE spent LOTS of time in the game to just be too fun killing that I would rather not have it. (I mean ok kill me with barbies or whatever but after I have spent HUNDREDS of turns getting my cities and land all pretty how DARE the game mess it up :p)

Another reason I keep events on is cuz I do LOVE the quests. It's fun chasing them and losing the events means losing the quests and going into the xml event by event JUST to eliminate the annoying ones is waaaay to much work hehe.

As for goody huts I have had them mess me up too but that is even rarer than having an event mess things up for me (but again I can see how it could be level dependent Ghengis popping HBR from a hut around 3500 bc is probably a LOT harder to deal with on say emperor than on noble hehe). And also a civ game without goodyhuts just WOULDNT be a civ game they are like a civ tradition :). Another little reason I dont ever turn off huts is just cuz it seems like doing so nerfs all those civs that start with scouts since one of the WHOLE point of that being a good thing is cuz it means more and better hut popping chances. So I just leave em on and take the good with bad cuz I think the good does outweigh the bad.

Oh one more thing. I was reading how ppl have said something about it being impossible of bars spwning from a hut in your bfc or of a hut with in 8 squares of your cap as long as that is your only city from being bad...is that more related to your starting spawn location as opposed to your starting city location? Just asking cuz the one time a goodyhut TOTALLY wrecked my game was a PYL game. My starting location was meh but there was a TON of nice floodplains further inland along with goldmines so I moved my settler way up there. Far enugg where it took like 3 moves for the settler but that yummy start seemed worth all those moves. My initial warrior goes off exploring and Im going worker first in my build. When my border pop happens it shows RIGHT outside a goody hut. My warrior is scouting and NOWHERE near it so another ai pops it first. And barbies spawn and they spawn in my BFC and game over.

Kaytie