Another histoy of fail

Skull_

Chieftain
Damn this BNW! You know when you fighting against an army so massive that you can't even aprouch a city? Bismarck kicked my ass yesterday on empereor, pangea, standard.

I was playing as Venice, going for a cultural victory(that I still need to win). Got a very good tourism going, having tons of wonders in my capital(and I rly mean it. Don't know exactly how many wonders I build but I had like double of all other civs together.

As the game went I fell behind in tech, just a little bit, but the problem was bismarck going only for the lower part of the teach tree. I got my culture spread on 3 civs and I was at plastics when I gave up the game.

When bismark built the Appolo Project, I got desperated, since I knew I could not influence him fast enoght(he had tons of culture and I would need a lot of turns to get hotels and Airports). So I though a diplomatic victory would come in hand, but bismark was so rich that I could not buy the city states. Since I was stealing teach for him since the very begining of the game, friendship was out of hand, so I decided to take the risk at building an army, and take my best shoot at his forces and try to slow down his science victory.

Austria and Ethiopia joined me in my struggle to defeat bismark. We managed to recapture all the Inca and Ethiopian citys that bismark got, but after this Austria stopped to help, and Ethiopia never helped at all, since he was in the uglyest possible shape.

At the start of the war, bismark had 600k points in militar streght, while I had 200k. The difference was: I was attacking with infantary, 3 ww2 bombers and 4 artilhary. Bismark on the other hand, had paratroppers, bombers, helicopters, anti-air units and of course, that artilhary that does not need to waste one action to attack. So I gave up, I could never approuch one of their citys without Austria's help, and For him to kill my artilhary was just too easy as he could replace his soldiers in a blink of an eye.

I guess I need to pick my allies more carefuly next time.

Did you ever get the national college? You really want to get that ASAP, it's the most critical national wonder there is.

Yes I did. But most of time I delay it a bit, but I'm starting to race it.
While I was getting a good balance on the teach tree, he was going straight on the botton line of the teach,

By reading your post, I would say that you're not ready for Emperor yet.
Don't get me wrong I'm not some Deity player with nose up in the clouds, not even Immortal player, no sir. But I am an Emperor player and if you don't know Rocket artillery by its name so far, belive me you need to tune your difficulty setting a little bit, and get more into how CiV works by reading this lovely forums like you mean it, and practice. Then after you own King with ease, its Emperor time.

By reading your post, I would say that you're not ready for Emperor yet.
Don't get me wrong I'm not some Deity player with nose up in the clouds, not even Immortal player, no sir. But I am an Emperor player and if you don't know Rocket artillery by its name so far, belive me you need to tune your difficulty setting a little bit, and get more into how CiV works by reading this lovely forums like you mean it, and practice. Then after you own King with ease, its Emperor time.

This. I also don't see how your situation is BNW specific. Sounds like it could have happened in GnK.

Have you played GnK before BNW? If so, were you playing on Emp and what was your win/loss record like?

One thing, you mentioned that your over-spying affected your ability to have good relations with Otto? I personally would recommend not spying too much. I just use my first spy/diplomat as a spy, the rest I use either as defensive spies or as diplos. With the first offensive spy, I steal more for building up the spy's level than for the techs. Once I have stolen my two techs, my spy is fully leveled and I send him to the CS of my choice for long lasting CS benefits. If i get some big techs, great! If I only get small ones, okay. The point is that the spy is being built up for CS relations, and you really don't want a level 2 or 3 spy being captured.

Also, if I get caught spying once, I never continue spying on with that civ. Just apologize and mean it.

I think the real point is did you have fun in your game? If yes, then carry on with emperor as it will offer a sharper learning curve. If no, drop down to king and do as Branjo says.

Dude, if an AI builds apollo project that means NOTHING. There's still ~50 turns till they're close to victory.

Also, why the hell are you "waiting for building" of airports? YOU'RE VENICE. You're supposed to purchase EVERYTHING. In every city. Get Big Ben + Commerce SP + Order policy "Skyscrapers" for 73% reduction in building prices. That's 540 gold for purchasing an airport. And at this point, with 14 trade routes, you should be earning close to 500-700 gpt.

For Venice, a UN victory with Globalization worked for me on Standard size, even without allying with any CSs up to the Atomic Era and without hosting. Here's the gist, hope it's useful:

I bought 7 CSs as the MoVs came in, allied with the other 6 (the remaining ones were conquered by others). I had freedom and picked the Level 3 Tenet that gives influence to CSs for trade routes - most allies didn't cost a cent and the wealthy AI didn't mind. I never hosted congress and was only in the top two (free delegate) once leading up to the winning vote.

In the lead-up to Globalization, I bought a constabulary and police station, built the NIA, and put all 6 spies on diplomat duty.

Here's how it adds up in this case:
- 4 base delegates
- 12 CS delegates
- 6 Globalization delegates
- 1 Top Two delegate

With 7 civs and 6 CSs, all 23 of these delegates were required.

My game was close; ideally you will either host WC (though not if you want the Dark Horse achievement), or ally with CSs a bit earlier (or more) to ensure that winning vote gets to you before someone wins another way.

Just because I don't remember the name of an unity makes me unable to play on empereor? King is to easy, and I can get some victorys in empereor. More like 1:2.

I think that you need to play on high dificults to improve. I'm sure I can't play on immortal yet, so I didn't moved up, but once I decide to stick to one difficult, going back will not help, specially when your win 100% of the games you play. And I mean it, I find king to easy and empereor is fine. Just posted one game that I lost but behind it there's a game that I won. Now on BNW it's kind easy to win diplo victorys. The only win that I never got was culture, but I'm sure I will get it ;)

Besides that the expansion is new, not everyone learn everything in a blink of an eye, specially when you don't have all day to play :/

Headcase thanks for the tips, they are useful. I'm still strugling with WC and tourism.

Just because I don't remember the name of an unity makes me unable to play on empereor? King is to easy, and I can get some victorys in empereor. More like 1:2.

I think that you need to play on high dificults to improve. I'm sure I can't play on immortal yet, so I didn't moved up, but once I decide to stick to one difficult, going back will not help, specially when your win 100% of the games you play. And I mean it, I find king to easy and empereor is fine. Just posted one game that I lost but behind it there's a game that I won. Now on BNW it's kind easy to win diplo victorys. The only win that I never got was culture, but I'm sure I will get it ;)

Besides that the expansion is new, not everyone learn everything in a blink of an eye, specially when you don't have all day to play :/

Headcase thanks for the tips, they are useful. I'm still strugling with WC and tourism.

It just sounded a bit like you were unfamiliar with some basic strategies. You are right in that the higher difficulties force you to play better. You said you find king to easy? The move to Emperor is much harder than the move from prince to king. At Emperor you really need to start bribing other civs to go to war with each other. Let them do as much of the work for you as possible. This should help stop runaways.

As you said it, it sounds like you just let Bismark become the runaway.

Bismarck is very strong in every single of my games. Tonight I watched MadDjinns Let's play, and apparently Bismarck is becomming powerhouse over there as well. Not sure why, maybe his AI is just written better?

Bismarck is very strong in every single of my games. Tonight I watched MadDjinns Let's play, and apparently Bismarck is becomming powerhouse over there as well. Not sure why, maybe his AI is just written better?

Odd. Every game I played, he ends up a sniveling weakling and even with the lowest score and weak army he still hates me and tries to war with me. I always end up conquering him first, either through military or culture.

Odd. Every game I played, he ends up a sniveling weakling and even with the lowest score and weak army he still hates me and tries to war with me. I always end up conquering him first, either through military or culture.

Maybe it's affected by the difficulty level and/or other game settings. Or maybe Bismarck just gets lucky sometimes :)

I almost, ALMOST got my ass kicked in the same way.

The situation is the same, but this time i was Brazil. Game going pretty soft, no wars, no enemys, but...Pocatelo began to grow out of control like bismarck. But THIS TIME I didnt let it happen. When I saw that he was getting huge in army I began to build my stuff. This time i was leading the teach tree with him and by the time of plastics I declared war. He didnt had plastics so I had an huge advantage with brazil. Dominated his 3 main cits including his capita which gorgeous wonders and liberated a city state.

But...now russia was the problem. So I come back my way reinforced my offence and attacked russia. Got 5 citys including the capital and she gave me 6 more for peace which I liberated 3 and razed 2. At this point I was so huge that the fun just faded way. The only 2 guys that had their capitals besides me was the Maya and Babylon. Maya had like 200k more army power but I could easly win a war. I was swinging in money while he had -250 gpt. Baylon didnt had an army at all, so I just won a diplo. The game became sooo boring after that :(

I wish I had won a culture, but it woult take to damn long. I rly don't know how to get a diplo victory. Even with more than 500 Tourism per turn at the end of the game they still manage to have almost 10k to pass culture and growing. There's always someone with huge culture :(

I wish I had won a culture, but it woult take to damn long. I rly don't know how to get a diplo victory. Even with more than 500 Tourism per turn at the end of the game they still manage to have almost 10k to pass culture and growing. There's always someone with huge culture :(

It seems like u are not focusing. I think you are building wonders just to build them. To win a culture by Brazil fast you should build sciense, tourism and happiness. I had some cultural victories and I never had more than 300 tourism.

Also, another thing you need for a cultural victory is making good use of the WC to get more Culture (for SPs) and Tourism for GM Tourism bombs. Well timed creation of GMs after International Games can help you do a 3-10K Tourism bomb that can make you influential with even the most cultured civs.

I never won an International Game. To be honest I never won any of those competitions. Even with 3 citys with a lot of hammers one AI always get the first place. Still have much to learn :p

And yeah, I'm begining to think that I should stop building 300 wonders. They are so cool, but maybe I should play more focused.

I'm following the Poland LP as well, and I wonder the same :lol:
It's just amazing how he pulls it off. Makes me want to play deity over and over again until I get it :p

Top Bottom