Another idea for road maintenance

WiseMan999

Chieftain
This has probably been said before but tbh searching through these forums is rather annoying and tedious, so I apologise. Anyway, I just wanted to get some thoughts on this idea I had for Road maintenance.

Basically, I think it would be good if road maintenance is different depending on the tile. So:
Tile in your/Ally culture = road 0gpt; railroad=0gpt
Tile neutral = road 1gpt; railroad 2gpt
Tile in enemy territory (and built by you) = road 2gpt; railroad 4gpt

This is because it makes no sense to me that you wouldn't maintain the roads you built when your cities are nearby and millions of your citizens live there. A separate interface allows you to choose to stop maintaining roads tile by tile, and maintenance automatically defaults to whoever built the road/railroad. After 3 turns of no maintenance movement is reduced, 5 turns further reduced and 10 turns it disappears completely.

I know this is about 2 years too late :) but I'm tired and just wanted to get it off my chest. Got back into Civ V yesterday and was annoyed at the road maintenance all over again :D.

Ignoring the game-altering economic consequences of this idea, why would roads in your borders cost you nothing to maintain? Infrastructure maintenance is a pretty hefty chunk of most national budgets.

I'm not sure how the maintenance depending on location works but, if your tile improvements are taken by another civ THEY should default to paying the maintenance. It's no longer your's, why should you pay for it at all?
I agree neutral territory should have a higher cost to maintain but, infrastructure within your borders should always have a maintenance cost equivalent to it's value.
We can't let the game get TOO unreal now can we?? haha

The entire point of road maintenance is to prevent the massive road spam of the previous Civ versions. It makes road building more strategic and forces you to decide how and where you build roads.

The entire point of road maintenance is to prevent the massive road spam of the previous Civ versions. It makes road building more strategic and forces you to decide how and where you build roads.

If i could give your props for this answer sir... I would. ha

Well I would like it to be say 0.5gpt for roads and 1gpt for railroads inside your borders but I heard that the game won't accept decimals for road maintenance. Also with maintenance in enemy territory I was thinking more building roads into enemy territory, you pay the maintenance because you chose to build it there when it was already inside an enemy's borders. If you build a road in neutral land or your own territory and it then becomes someone elses the maintenance automatically defaults to them.

Like I said, it was just an idea I wanted to get off my chest.

Top Bottom