Another music thread - if given the chance, would you go for money or for quality?

What do you think? :D (read OP)

• Total voters

Mirc

Not mIRC!!!
Ok, so basically right now I have a big choice to make. I play classical guitar, for quite some time, but I've never even conceived the idea of being close-minded and focusing on only one style (although I love it so much).

So now that I have an electric guitar, I'm wondering which path to take.

On one hand, I can try to perfect myself and continue composing the stuff I like (mostly symphonic metal or (hard) rock, with fusions and influences from many other styles), while struggling to find a group of people to play with, struggling with money, lack of support and with pretty much anything, but at least know that I make true quality music and I'm following my own ideas.

On the other hand, I could accept my friend's invitation and play backup guitar in a pretty crappy pop band that makes LOTS of money (with me not having a very important position in it), and just go around playing for money (possibly making very good money, but using/wasting my time without actually doing too much or learning new stuff - and believe me this IS time consuming). The advantage is that I can already play immediately whatever they want me to play, heck I can even sight-read anything I've seen from them!

So what do you think? Being an important decision, I won't really base my choice only on what I read here (I can think with my own mind, you know :p) I just want to get a second/third/fourth/etc opinion about it.

Go for the money first, but with the promise of quality in mind later on.

In other words, get started playing on stage, meet other bands, other musicians who might have the same ideas as you. But at the least, get started.

Voted: Go for the quality of music, since that is the goal after all. Short term, go for the money :)

You need experience working with a band and you could use some connections, but you shouldn't abandon quality. You can try to influence the music they write (after a time, of course), or once you've learned all you can from them, move on.

Get your money. Money will provide you the flexibility and the name to do what you want later. Making music is expensive. If you have enough dough, you can tell CD companies, recording studios, everybody, to go to hell cause you're going to make what you want.

If you don't have that money, you lose some flexibility.

I know it sucks (I had to play some music that I didn't like so I could afford the equipment to play my blues), but thats how it works sometimes

Get your money. Money will provide you the flexibility and the name to do what you want later. Making music is expensive. If you have enough dough, you can tell CD companies, recording studios, everybody, to go to hell cause you're going to make what you want.

If you don't have that money, you lose some flexibility.

I know it sucks (I had to play some music that I didn't like so I could afford the equipment to play my blues), but thats how it works sometimes

Heh, now that you mentioned it, I once wanted to play blues and jazz with a couple of friends... but after a week with them I'm COMPLETELY convinced I will NOT find a good band here in Romania. For some reason, with very, very few exceptions, people here have an idiotic phobia for this kind of music.

Thanks a lot for the answers everybody, and those seem like very good ideas. :)

Heh, now that you mentioned it, I once wanted to play blues and jazz with a couple of friends... but after a week with them I'm COMPLETELY convinced I will NOT find a good band here in Romania. For some reason, with very, very few exceptions, people here have an idiotic phobia for this kind of music.

Thanks a lot for the answers everybody, and those seem like very good ideas. :)

If you can make enough money doing this job, you might want to think about coming to America, where the costs of music production are a lot lower, and there are a *lot* more blues and jazzmen (and schools, festivals and clubs to support them)

If you can make enough money doing this job, you might want to think about coming to America, where the costs of music production are a lot lower, and there are a *lot* more blues and jazzmen (and schools, festivals and clubs to support them)

Not to mention there's a lot more chaff to compare to his wheat ;)

Yes, I will likely move soon anyway... but where to - that I don't know yet. :) I definitely consider America a possibility (I have good contacts in LA, even a university where I might study, and I love the place, oh and I have some relatives in NY, etc), but also Holland, Italy, Spain or the UK are some other possibilities of mine. :) Oh and Vienna, maybe, too. :) I'll see, I have to go SOMEWHERE though. :D

Well, which one do you see leading to making more money ten years from now?

Basicaly can you use this band as a stepping stone leading you to make better music later on, or is it a dead end?
If you keep doing the music that you love will it ever turn into something you can use to make money? Or is their no market for it?

So which option is best in the long run is very important, but the money now could be important as well, from what I recall you are vey poor right? Now that is also a consideration, if you can't afford certain things you need now (like healthcare or healthy food etc.) then money now is more important, however if your family can take care of itself fine, it just isn't wealthy then money now is much less imporant.
Also think about how you feel about it, if you will really hate playing in this band don't, ou dn't want to become depressed r get turned off of music because you forced yourself to do something you hated.

Ok, so basically right now I have a big choice to make. I play classical guitar, for quite some time, but I've never even conceived the idea of being close-minded and focusing on only one style (although I love it so much).

So now that I have an electric guitar, I'm wondering which path to take.

On one hand, I can try to perfect myself and continue composing the stuff I like (mostly symphonic metal or (hard) rock, with fusions and influences from many other styles), while struggling to find a group of people to play with, struggling with money, lack of support and with pretty much anything, but at least know that I make true quality music and I'm following my own ideas.

On the other hand, I could accept my friend's invitation and play backup guitar in a pretty crappy pop band that makes LOTS of money (with me not having a very important position in it), and just go around playing for money (possibly making very good money, but using/wasting my time without actually doing too much or learning new stuff - and believe me this IS time consuming). The advantage is that I can already play immediately whatever they want me to play, heck I can even sight-read anything I've seen from them!

So what do you think? Being an important decision, I won't really base my choice only on what I read here (I can think with my own mind, you know :p) I just want to get a second/third/fourth/etc opinion about it.

Holy crap, we have more in common than I ever thought.

Do you mind immigrating to Canada and then we can form a band? :D

You are still very young Mirc. Go for the money untill you have enough to start a really cool band, then do what you really love. I envy you, so you better do what I say.

I agree, the time I've spent jamming with others (playing unfavored music) was far more beneficial than learning a style I preferred. Plus, the money you make can fund your endeavor later, not to mention it'd be nice to make a name that can give you a "break" in the industry.

Holy crap, we have more in common than I ever thought.

Do you mind immigrating to Canada and then we can form a band? :D

I don't, I'd love it!! :D Only that I'd have to bring a radiator with me because I really can't resist cold weather, even what we've got here is almost impossible to stand for me. :p

I agree, the time I've spent jamming with others (playing unfavored music) was far more beneficial than learning a style I preferred. Plus, the money you make can fund your endeavor later, not to mention it'd be nice to make a name that can give you a "break" in the industry.

Well, I already have a name much more respected than that band - most of those that actually heard of me know me as "the classical guitarist" (yeah, with the "the"), which is better than what this pop band will ever give me, in fact, losing a bit of my prestige is one of my main arguments against that band. :)

Well, which one do you see leading to making more money ten years from now?

Basicaly can you use this band as a stepping stone leading you to make better music later on, or is it a dead end?
If you keep doing the music that you love will it ever turn into something you can use to make money? Or is their no market for it?

So which option is best in the long run is very important, but the money now could be important as well, from what I recall you are vey poor right? Now that is also a consideration, if you can't afford certain things you need now (like healthcare or healthy food etc.) then money now is more important, however if your family can take care of itself fine, it just isn't wealthy then money now is much less imporant.
Also think about how you feel about it, if you will really hate playing in this band don't, ou dn't want to become depressed r get turned off of music because you forced yourself to do something you hated.

Hmmm... that's a good question, which one will make more money ten years from now? The answer is... well... I don't know. Either one could. :)

I won't become depressed, that's the only thing that I'm absolutely sure about. :) I'm way too determined to do what I want to do, instead of quitting now, after all those years.

And yes, I am poor, yes, but not to the level that you mention there. :) In the past few months, things have been going better and better, and though I've actually been in the situation of not affording healthy food, that mostly happened years ago (like, 5 years ago or so).

Well, I already have a name much more respected than that band - most of those that actually heard of me know me as "the classical guitarist" (yeah, with the "the"), which is better than what this pop band will ever give me, in fact, losing a bit of my prestige is one of my main arguments against that band. :)

Makes sense, but "the classical guitarist" isn't exactly the notoriety you're seeking, I'm guessing. If you can make money from their band, you might meet the right people who can help you play a venue of your own, no? Those "people in the know" can help your gigs create people who like your work? the whole "take a step back, in order to move forward"?

Makes sense, but "the classical guitarist" isn't exactly the notoriety you're seeking, I'm guessing. If you can make money from their band, you might meet the right people who can help you play a venue of your own, no? Those "people in the know" can help your gigs create people who like your work? the whole "take a step back, in order to move forward"?

Yes, I totally agree with that. :)

Top Bottom