Another problem with rebelling civs

fenceman

Chieftain
I was playing as the Turks, and I had conqured all of greece, babylon, arabia and persia. After a while the babylonians declare independance from me, which irritated me, but I knew it would happen sooner or later, so I decided to just declare war and kick their ass. Suddenly I found that I was also at war with Germany (the most powerfull nation at that time, but also had generally been my friend) and Mali (Germany's vassal, and also my friend). It turns out that between my turns, the babylonians declared independance and also signed on to becoming vassals of germany!
Rebelling civs shouldn't be able to sign any vassalization/defensive pacts in their first turn, otherwise bad things happen :(

They should be able to make vassalizations and defensive pacts, but not with your friends. It is like the Dutch independence; England helped them against Spain.

Very good Hitti-Litti. They should be able to sign Vassal State with anyone who dislikes you, or with you (an opposite, yet logical, option.)

Very good Hitti-Litti. They should be able to sign Vassal State with anyone who dislikes you, or with you (an opposite, yet logical, option.)

I second that.

Imho then old civs gaining a rebirth as an Independent civ should automatically be Vassals to the civ they declared their Indepence from. Make them work to gain true independence!

Imho then old civs gaining a rebirth as an Independent civ should automatically be Vassals to the civ they declared their Indepence from. Make them work to gain true independence!

I agree with you from the game perspective, but in RL more often than not it's the case that a breakaway region would seek protection from one of the other neighbouring countries, or your enemies. That being said, I don't see why being your vassal could not be an option - some sort of autonomy from central government... We could have a situation like in Spain, where Catalunya is largely autonomous without EVER demanding true independence: in game terms, a "permanent" vassalage could be an option too, in addition to the ideas already mentioned elsewhere.

To resume my rambling: a civ seeking independence from you might
decide to
1) become your vassal for a while ("Friendly divorce")
2) become someone else's vassal ("That hurts")
3) become your vassal forever (or a very LONG period of time): "Autonomy"

I know, I sound crazy, thanks for reading...

The choice should be up to you:
1. Fight the traitors (declare war, they can either capitulate or become an enemy's vassal)
2. Let's try and work this out (they become your peaceful vassal).
And as it is relevant to this thread, please check out my Stability System thread.

Top Bottom