Another Question re Barbarians

Convict

Warlord
Okay, I understand they spawn in areas where you do not look all that often.

However, middle game I find that when I go to wipe them out (middle game) the AI can have a few naval units already bombarding them. Good news.

So the AI knows they are there. They may I suppose find them after they have spawned.

The question is- do barbs only spawn in territory you don't observe or do they also spawn in territory that other Civs don't observe?

They can spawn on any land tile in the fog of war/undiscovered territory, so land that's not being observed by a Civ/CS at any given time. One limitation is that there's a minimum distance between barb camps, but I don't know what it is.

They have to spawn outside the vision of any player, AI or CS. I have never heard of any minimum distance from units rule before. I have in fact moved a unit away from a tile just for an instant and then had a barb camp sprout up the next turn.

If there's a nook or cranny in some corner of your empire you can't see because a hill is in the way or something you can guarantee that a camp will spawn there eventually. Unprotected workers should never be in the outskirts of your territory unless a unit is around to spot for it.

I always assume that if there is a darkened tile that a camp is going to be there. Protect workers/settler accordingly.

It can actually be a good idea to buy tiles in hard to see locations that are covered in trees, hills etc..

I had a game the other day where I had to do a double take. At the start of my turn, there was a camp discovered notification on a tile within my visibility range. Then I realized that what happened was that I was gifted a unit and that unit could see the camp. Tripped me out at first though!

I miss the barb cities from Civ 4, they were awesome. If there was an undiscovered continent on the map and it was left untouched for long enough, it could turn into a barb empire!! I once conquered an entire continent of barb cities which were already generating their own culture, etc and had a ready made empire without having to settle. I'm not sure if other people liked this but I certainly enjoyed it.

Barbs in Civ 5 are less numerous than Civ 4 too, I remember when you activated 'raging barbs' in 4, your empire could be overwhelmed if you weren't careful (and this was before cities could defend themselves). Imagine the amount of culture you could generate if there were that many barbs in civ 5!!

Top Bottom