another scenario problem

chieflookout

Chieftain
I downloaded the Moria scenario from here on civfanatics, and have been having trouble with it. I could find no way to contact the creator, favored flight, so I thought I would post here and see if anyone could answer this here.
When I started playing the Moria scenario, there were dead bodies laying around, and the readme stated that there were clues on them. I approached one, and it talked to me in the diplomacy screen. It was another race in the game, and asked me for the secrets of bronze working. I understand this is a rewrite of the civ game and had no problem with that, I just don't wanna leave anything out. I refused, and then it attacked my main character, Gandalf, and killed him quickly. The other units in my party could only move one space apiece, which seemed contrary to the readme, and so it seemed I had made a mistake. Then I was informed that my "city," which was disguised as the front door, had run out of food, and famine was feared. I tried to go into the city screen, but there was no way to even break even with food production. Then, when my turn was over, I was informed that my city had been captured by barbarians, and although my units were NONE, since the only city I had was that door, I immediately lost. I tried again, made peace with the dead bodies, and tried moving some nuclear missile units, disguised as boulders, into the city, trying to fortify it against barbarians. No luck. Once again, at the end of my turn, the city fell to barbarians.
This isn't a gripe. I sincerely like the idea of the Moria scenario, and would like to play it. I am using Civ II Multiplayer Gold, with the latest patch, and was wondering if I did something wrong. Is there an easy fix to this problem? Is there a version conflict? Is the scenario unfinished, or is it just flawed? Maybe the creator has a patch somewhere that fixes it. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it. Thanks for reading all this.

Hi!

I guess what you did not do before starting the scenario was running the .bat file. If you don't runt the .bat file, none of the events work, and that's why you are even able to negotiate. The scenario is not made for negotiation since it's an RPG scenario. So, run the bat-file and everything should work smoothly. :goodjob:

Thanks for your reply! I tried to run the .bat file, and I was wondering, do you run it outside of the game, then run civ2.exe, or do you start the game then run the .bat file while it is running? When I ran it, it didn't do anything different before the game started. The instructions in the readme said to push the numeral one for chapter one after the .bat file ran, and it didn't do anything for me trying that either, and I didn't really understand how it worked. I would really appreciate it if you would elaborate on this a little for me. Thanks, I think very few people have tried this one!

This may be what I am having trouble with. The following is a quote from the readme:
Moria is a 3-part scenario that relies upon multiple event and rules files.
Consequently you MUST run the included Batch file before every chapter,
beginning with the first. If you haven't played multi-part scenarios before,
you'll find it's very simple:

1) In the Moria folder, you'll see a file called Moria.bat.
2) Double-click it.
3) For opening play, press <1> (the numeral "one" key)
4) At the end of Chapters 1 and 2, you'll be prompted to save the game as
"Moria1.sav"
5) Immediately after saving, quit the game and run the Batch file. This is
important because several files remain in use and will NOT be replaced if the
game is still running.
6) Press <2> or <3> (depends on the chapter you're about to enter).
7) Repeat as necessary.

Couldn't be simpler!

I tried to do this, but when I run the .bat file, all that happens is a little window opens then closes (the .bat file running I assume) then pushing the numeral 1 does nothing. I opened the .bat file with edit and read it, and now assume I am doing something wrong, although I don't know what it is, I know very little about programming. Any help would be appreciated, because I really look forward to being able to play this.

You need to add a file to the scenario folder called Choice.com (attached). I think XP and Vista need this file to run batch files. Without this file in the scenario folder the the batch file appears for a split second and then disappears. I had the same problem a few years back when I first started downloading scenarios.

Enjoy the game :)

Attachments

• Choice.zip
    8.3 KB · Views: 76
Sorry I wasn't fast enough. Luckily werd was! :goodjob:

Top Bottom