Another stoopid question...

blueparrot1966

Chieftain
...or maybe not. While doing the Into the Desert scenario, I noticed other posters talking about the blitz promotion. I realized that though I had some very experienced "killer camels", I'd never run across that option.

So what's the advancement path for blitz in FFH, and how do I know which units can get it? I tend to invest heavily in combat, mobility, and 40% vs. (unit type) promotions. I usually don't put a lot of priority into things like drill. Am I shortchanging myself?

Sooner or later you want a promotion question answered while in the middle of the game, so I'll teach you how: Civilopedia --> Promotions --> Blitz. The manual can also help.

Requirements for Blitz are the Military Strategy technology and Drill IV. Note that the unit needs to have movement left to attack again. It can be promoted for all unit types except Arcane, Siege and Naval.

I don't think you're hurting yourself much by not using Blitz. Having a Drill IV defender in a stack is very useful for the Defensive Strikes, and several First Strikes are great for any strong unit. However, first ranks of Drill are a distinctly worse investment in my opinion than putting the same promotions into Combat or more specific anti-unit promotions. It's also possible for enemies to have complete first strike immunities, innately or through promotions/spells.

Generally, I promote Drill and Blitz for heroes who will have a lot of promotions to play around with. I may have a Drill defender but I wouldn't take Blitz for them. Taking those first ranks of Drill seems a big step to take but eventually I'd start grabbing them for highly promoted national units and such. Anything with Marksman should also really enjoy Blitz if there are enough soft targets to attack, but again it competes with Combat so they actually kill things...

Yes, since the drill line gives first strikes, they are best for stronger units fighting a lot of weaker units, they can then do damage, probably hit, and not get weakened. Conversely, givng drill to a weak unit is likely not worthwhile, the extra strikes don't mean as much. So I agree with PekkaR, the line is very useful for powerful, fast heroes; and for these heroes, the extra attacks for blitz can be helpful.

If you are building an SoD fighting against other Sod's, it can be nice to have a few guys with high drill to get defensive strikes.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Yes, since the drill line gives first strikes, they are best for stronger units fighting a lot of weaker untis, they can then do damage, probably hit, and not get weakened. Conversely, givng drill to a weak unit is likely not worthwhile, the extra strikes don't mean as much. So I agree with PekkaR, the line is very useful for powerful, fast heroes; and for these heroes, the extra attacks for blitz can be helpful.

If you are building an SoD fighting against other Sod's, it can be nice to have a few guys with high drill to get defensive strikes.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Or one guy, say, Arthendain, with Drill IV and Blitz :D.

Having a Drill IV defender in a stack is very useful for the Defensive Strikes <snip> I may have a Drill defender but I wouldn't take Blitz for them.
Getting Blitz on a Drill defender is useful, even if the unit has only one movement point and/or doesn't attack, because Blitz also allows unlimited defensive strikes. Of course, you may have trouble getting a defender up to Drill IV and then Blitz unless the unit is getting free Hero xp.

Thanks for the clarifications. And this is a good discussion, too. I've never really understood the drill promotion well, and haven't known how it might be used to best effect.

Yes, since the drill line gives first strikes, they are best for stronger units fighting a lot of weaker untis, they can then do damage, probably hit, and not get weakened. Conversely, givng drill to a weak unit is likely not worthwhile, the extra strikes don't mean as much. So I agree with PekkaR, the line is very useful for powerful, fast heroes; and for these heroes, the extra attacks for blitz can be helpful.

I'm in danger of disagreeing with myself here, but I found this comment while looking for something else:

You may have seen some threads recently about warriors being too good and breaking game balance. The Doviello have a better warrior (+20% to city attack), Mahala's warriors have an extra first strike so they have a good chance to cause big damage in suicide attacks...

Promoting just Drill with the free promotion or two that your fresh units might be getting so they kamikaze stronger units better sounds like it could be viable. If the stronger units don't have first strikes (or immunity to them). Hmmh.

-----

Getting Blitz on a Drill defender is useful, even if the unit has only one movement point and/or doesn't attack, because Blitz also allows unlimited defensive strikes. Of course, you may have trouble getting a defender up to Drill IV and then Blitz unless the unit is getting free Hero xp.

I wasn't aware Blitz was needed for that. No doubt because I've just seen heroes doing lots of defensive strikes but they had Blitz anyway.

I wouldn't advise getting the Drill promotion as Mahala has easy access to lots of first strikes without paying XP for them. She has Raiders trait and Chaos magic with the palace and Adepts that don't require a hammer expensive building first.

I wouldn't advise getting the Drill promotion as Mahala has easy access to lots of first strikes without paying XP for them. She has Raiders trait and Chaos magic with the palace and Adepts that don't require a hammer expensive building first.

A different leader might go the Drill route. With Mahala I don't generally have many promotions to give to fodder units anyway. Especially to anything promoted from slaves, hehe.

I would use the drill line with Mahala. One benefit of getting the usual strength promotions is that they lead to the commando promotion, something Mahala already has on every unit. I guess it's just play style.

Not every unit needs blitz but it certainly allows one good unit to clear out a lot of trash quickly and get a lot of xp.

Top Bottom