Another Warmonger Question

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by blinky501, Feb 22, 2014.

1. blinky501

blinky501 Chieftain

So Arabia DOW'ed me for no apparent reason except for I was right next to him I guess. Anyways he does that I repel his attack on my city, then take my army and wipe him out. Why do I still get warmonger penalty from taking his city I was just defending myself.

thanks

2. forcedalt

forcedalt Warlord

well, if its Arabia calling you "warmonger" , that makes sense. I am sure Germany called Russia a "warmonger" when the Eastern front moved into Europe. As for anyone (EVERYONE) else calling you "warmonger" for all time till the end of the world. I am assured there are reasonable explanations for everything the AI does ,although, there seems to be a double standard of how AI's treat each other opposed to how they treat humans. Maybe they don't take kindly to "meat bags" taking their cities.

3. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Wondermonger

The AI considers all conquest of cities to be warmongering. Because you weren't just defending yourself. You defended against his attack, then marched into his lands, and took one of his cities. If by wipe out you mean you completely wiped him off the map, the AI will consider you a warmonger because you just annihilated an entire civilization, down to the last person.

4. VicRatlhead5199

VicRatlhead5199 King

In that situation you should wipe out the invasion force and move your army in to threaten one of his cities, not take it. He should be willing to pay for peace at that point. If you go past that point you are in fact a warmonger and should just own it.

Just because some one punches you doesn't give you the right to shoot 'em dead George Zimmerman.

5. troublmaker

troublmaker Warlord

Conquering a city gets you a call of "Major Warmonger." Conquering a city-states gets you the title of "Extreme Warmonger."

6. danaphanous

danaphanous religious fanatic

yep. this is what I've found. You can erase some of the penalty by liberating a city. The bonus is especially high for extinct civs and CS's. I've been called a warmonger then done this and everyone forgives me and is like: "Oh, never mind, guess we were wrong about you!" ;)

7. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

Get allies before you capture cities, failing that capture only one, and only one city(or none at all). When peace comes around denounce Arabia and see if other civs feel the same way. 10 turns later Mecca could be a nice puppet of yours without any warmonger hate.

8. blinky501

blinky501 Chieftain

Thanks for the responses I guess I am just used to playing the old civilization. To me the whoe point is to take over all of te civilizations and get victory that way.

What are y'all's most common victory types?

Thanks

9. algonacy

algonacy Chieftain

Yeah, listen many people still play the old Civ way and take over all the civilizations. That is still a viable strategy. The key thing is you have to get used to being not liked by the other civs. If you can't deal with their reactions and rejections of their attitudes, then maybe you're not quite the world leader you think you are... ha! Many of us (including me) don't like the attitudes of the other leaders and the way we are branded for small indiscretions... but it is what it is... might as well get used to it.

10. LoneRebel

LoneRebel Emperor

Oh, you can still take over all the other civs and win that way, just don't expect them to like you while you're killing them.

11. forcedalt

forcedalt Warlord

i have done Civ's 1 and 3 before this, i made the mistake of trying Civ 5 before 4 so now : Civ 4 looks "sloppy" by comparison and , i can't get started in it. From what i gather ,however , it seems like all the other civ's had a slightly different thing going on. The AI eventually backing off on the vitriol after a war had ended ,and , the non-involved AI's detaching from the hate party pretty much as soon as the dust settled. Should there be a patch , or , mod to adjust it back to "the good ol' days"? I guess its a matter of taste. For me , i think it would help greatly with immersion if there was a way, any way at all , to ever get an AI to forgive you for anything ever.

12. Dr. D

Dr. D Warlord

I also play the "old school" way, going until every civilization is eliminated. The other leaders hate me and they should. I don't make research agreements with them, don't make trade routes with them... just trade extra resources for gold until it is time for them to die.

Unless you're trading frequently with other civs, it shouldn't be a problem if other leaders hate you. If they declare war, then kill all their units and take their cities. As far as trade routes go, I mainly trade internally unless I need gold in a trade route from a city-state so I don't need them for that either. Really, at that point, the only annoying thing they can do to you is ban a luxury of yours or something... just gives you more reason to kill them all.