[GS] Antarctic Late Summer Patch Discussion Thread

Yes. The Classical Republic government has 0 military card slots and only 1 wildcard slot. Thus, you can only have either -50% Gold or -50% Resources activated.
@ezzlar pointed it out already. Thanx, you are both right. :)

Civics and techs not researched at the moment could lose some fraction of accumulated beakers every turn.
That would quickly stop such behavior.

Often, you'll have a leaf Policy that only takes 1-2 turns at your current Culture rate, even if you haven't previously invested anything into it. At least, I usually do.

Personally, though, I'm not into micromanaging and optimizing that way. It ruins the fun of the game for me. And, frankly, it's just not necessary even at higher levels. Maybe in multi-player? I guess if other players are doing stuff like that, then you'd want to keep up, but...

It was mentioned above, but I'm seeing the AI not able to accumulate any significant GPP's. Not just scientists, but great engineers as well. I'm getting like 58 Great engineer points a turn and the AI is getting like 2 or 3. As you can expect, I'm picking up every single great engineer. Mine seems too high actually, I haven't went around and counted all my contributions, but I'm almost wondering if their totals are being put into mine. But maybe I am actually getting in the 50's, hard to say. I just know the AI is around 2 or 3, all of the AI's. They are struggling.

I know they changed focus on some victory conditions, it's my only theory why they would do this. But they shouldn't be putting off building districts... What is the AI doing with their time?

yeah but you only need to switch the slots for 1 turn, which makes it no sacriface at all

Not everyone games the system. I don't. When I slot something in, I leave it until my next full civic is researched. As for the 2 cards, I just normally opt for the gold one. My current game I have a ton of resources, and they aren't an issue.

Or just not have a civic tree that leaves so many leaf bransches that can be saved for this specific purpose.

I'd like to see policy cards be more macro and less micro in nature. And with much stricter rules on when you can remove one after it's slotted. Changing social policies, except on a gradual basis, should require a revolution, with a significant impact on your empire. Maybe wholesale changes could be limited to when you change the government itself. Otherwise you get a limited number of changes that can be made be made, say one or two per era.

I'd also like to bring back the negative consequences of changing government that earlier versions of civs had. To get to a more advanced government, you used to have to go through a mini "dark age" with dramatically reduced output and unhappiness. Those were fun, and could be even more fun combined with the loyalty mechanic.

I'd like to see policy cards be more macro and less micro in nature. And with much stricter rules on when you can remove one after it's slotted. Changing social policies, except on a gradual basis, should require a revolution, with a significant impact on your empire. Maybe wholesale changes could be limited to when you change the government itself. Otherwise you get a limited number of changes that can be made be made, say one or two per era.

I'd also like to bring back the negative consequences of changing government that earlier versions of civs had. To get to a more advanced government, you used to have to go through a mini "dark age" with dramatically reduced output and unhappiness. Those were fun, and could be even more fun combined with the loyalty mechanic.

You still get those mini dark ages if you ever go back to a previous government form. They come in the form of 2+N turns of anarchy, where N is the number of times you've previously used the government that you're switching to.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few turns of anarchy when you switch governments within a tier, even for the first time, or when moving to a previous tier. I'm not sure that it makes as much sense when going from one tier to the next, though.

Well if this was a free game I’d praise them for improving it but after shelling out over $150 for the game and expansions it would be nice to have a playable version. I’d say a single test game should have revealed the trade issue.

Listen, real improvement like the map search are GREAT but none of the eye candy matters if the game is broken.

Exaggeration is not proving anything. And if you paid over $ 150,- you must be lucky enough to have enough money to just not care... :p

The exaggeration comment is fair ... the game is certainly playable after the patch (seems the renamed Sweden win achievement was well deserved, considering the overuse of the 'literally unplayable' meme). Though I would have to agree that there should have been some flags raised already on the trade issues. They would (or should) have been testing trade offers to at least ensure that their expected values for Diplomatic Favour were in the range they wanted (though I had little issue with the values before, raising the AIs valuation seems like you can milk them for more gold early when you don't really need DF).

But I will call you out on the other half of your comments. For myself, I believe the deluxe edition was something like $90, add to that the $30 odd for R&F, and the near $60 for GS, and look at that, over $150. And I'm not sure why someone willing to pay full price for the game shouldn't also be invested in the quality of said game.

Yeah, but it's sometimes really hard to tell if a deal is decent or just crazy. And it's just tempting to accept a good deal! And furthermore it shouldn't be like that - if AI values trades better and makes decent proposals and decisions it's good for the game as a whole. Trading is a major part of diplomacy in Civ and therefore vital!
P.S.: loving most of the patch and strongly believe trade is so major that we'll get a hotfix soon...:thumbsup:

I haven't played much since patch, trying to finish a Phoenicia game I had going before the patch that is now in that weird limbo state where I can still play but seemingly without all the features of the patch. Though things have leaked through and are a little glitchy ... for example, all the civ colours have reverted to their original banner colours, and the health bar for each city no longer shows.

In any case, trade is a large part of the game, and the immersion and fun of playing the game I can see being ruined by outlandish trade deals. It's one thing to ignore the overvalued offer for a new work (supposedly fixed by the patch, which is another thing they should have been running the game and observing trade offers for) or to not use the 'sell 1 resource for lots of gold' exploit, but it is another if every trade offer starts becoming a farce. I will probably lower the offered gold to something more reasonable just so that I can continue enjoying the game at my preferred pace, but I do hope that they fix the issue quickly.

But I will call you out on the other half of your comments. For myself, I believe the deluxe edition was something like $90, add to that the $30 odd for R&F, and the near $60 for GS, and look at that, over $150. And I'm not sure why someone willing to pay full price for the game shouldn't also be invested in the quality of said game.
So, these prices would be CAD I presume. This is a majority US website, to my knowledge, so I'll offer some comparisons. $180 CAD is equivalent currently to about $135 USD, €120, and £103. To get expanded content, without discount, as soon as it comes out I would say that's not too bad after multiple years of continued content additions (as well as developmental support).

For comparison, US buyers were charged $80 for the DDE, $30 for R&F, and $40 for GS. Which, yes, is equal to $150. That said, every single option was available at a discount prior to being released. Personally, I received 20% or more off for each of those on my pre-orders, thanks to websites like DLGamer and GreenManGaming. So, to be able to play immediately on release of each piece of content, I paid a bit less than $120.

It needs to be activated before it will show up:

1) Go to My documents/My games/Sid Meier's Civilization VI and then open AppOptions.txt

2) Find this:

;Enable WorldBuilder.
EnableWorldBuilder 0

3) replace the 0 with a 1.

4) Then, open the game and under additional content you can find a new button to open it on the upper right corner

Thank you for this!

the map search function works on pillaged tiles. Very sweet. :goodjob: I don't find myself using it that often, but when I do, it's quite useful. This is especially useful with disasters pillaging your tiles and you miss the message.

the map search function works on pillaged tiles. Very sweet. :goodjob: I don't find myself using it that often, but when I do, it's quite useful. This is especially useful with disasters pillaging your tiles and you miss the message.
It helped me find archaeological sites. I bet real life archaeologists would enjoy a search like that too. ;)

I've never had this happen before the patch:
I've run out of Great People on turn 224!? All except for Scientists, Prophets and, Merchants.
My last Great General was Joan of Arc just a turn before. Very Strange.
The GP's are only in the Medieval or Industrial Era...how can I be out of them!?

How dare those people play the game like it's a game?? Don't they know that Civilization is about Rock Bands and religious combat? Oh. The. Humanity.
Hey, I don't care how people play, but most games are exploitable when you use a system in a way that knowingly manipulates the intended use of their systems. If that's how people want to play, cool, but it's definitely gamey and I think it works against claims that a change is useless. If you play as intended, it works. If you exploit the system, surprise-surprise, it doesn't.

Man! This is gamey too then. It breaks all civ reality for goodness sake. Firaxis, take it away in your next hot fix. :mischief:
I realize this is a joke, but just wanted to say this is not gamey in the way that I am using the term to describe saving 1 turn remaining civics to abuse the government policy system. I'm talking about ignoring intended use of the system by going out of your way to set up an exploitative workaround, not making it easier to read the map. (Regardless of whether real life is more difficult, which is a much more complex discussion than has been implied here).

I realize this is a joke, but just wanted to say this is not gamey in the way that I am using the term to describe saving 1 turn remaining civics to abuse the government policy system. I'm talking about ignoring intended use of the system by going out of your way to set up an exploitative workaround, not making it easier to read the map. (Regardless of whether real life is more difficult, which is a much more complex discussion than has been implied here).

I do get what you mean. And yes it was just a joke.

Hey, I don't care how people play, but most games are exploitable when you use a system in a way that knowingly manipulates the intended use of their systems. If that's how people want to play, cool, but it's definitely gamey and I think it works against claims that a change is useless. If you play as intended, it works. If you exploit the system, surprise-surprise, it doesn't.

You cared enough to criticize it. Which leads to the comment I originally meant to quote...

Civics and techs not researched at the moment could lose some fraction of accumulated beakers every turn.
That would quickly stop such behavior.

"That behavior".

That. Behavior.

Playing the game as a game is now "that behavior".

So, on that basis, you only build wonders as the civilization that built them in real life, right? Because otherwise I think Firaxis should fix the game to prevent that behavior.

You cared enough to criticize it. Which leads to the comment I originally meant to quote...
I cared enough to point out that it's gamey, specifically because that goes against the notion that it's a useless change. I legitimately don't care how people play, but I would rather not falsely criticize the devs work. There are enough things that still need attention without them trying to make further adjustments to address an exploitative approach.

You say "exploitative", I say "fundamentally bad design". The entire mechanic that you can only change policies at new civics (or massive cost) is just silly. What value does that provide to the game? What flavor is there? If the devs actually consider it exploitative, how did they not predict it?

Actually, the answer to that last question is fairly important.

Exploitative as in deliberately against the intention of the game's design, and requiring effort to go out of your way to do it. Whether you like said design is irrelevant.

It makes some sense that as your culture progresses, your government can subsequently adapt it's policies for better or worse. At least it makes as much sense as any other way to limit policy change.

It makes that we can't change policies freely, without limitation, without some cost. If we could, there wouldn't be much point to having a limited number of policy options that we balance against one another.

Top Bottom