1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anti Boredom trick - No 1 - Levy

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Victoria, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Brazil has just declared a joint war against me but these chaps are in the way... as I have 900 gold spare I'm just going to pop in with Seols troops and seriously ravage Pedro's land until he gives me at least 900 gold back
    Anyone else play this game to stave off the boredom?

upload_2017-6-7_13-37-55.png

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  2. juanpavo

juanpavo Warlord

Thanks for the reminder! I've never used this but makes sense. I usually have at least a few city states on my side and money burning a hole in my pocket.

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I always forget about Levy.

4. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I think I used it once when I was playing a game as Gilgamesh. The above case seems like the perfect time to use it, though, as the city-state actually has enough troops to cause some damage. I've also never fought a pillage war - if you're not looking to take their cities, you can at least try to get some of that back in culture from ravaging their theatre there.

5. Victoria

You bang in a pillage card and then just eat them alive... the AI is kind enough to often have a lot of farmland for healing.... They are begging you to stop at the end... sometimes you have to stop early because of rebels.
    Sadly this time I wanted to test the warmonger pemalty for taking cities as a defender and was disgusted by the results - Warmonger penalty calculation (as a defender)

Still I was interested if others do what I do normally

6. gettingfat

gettingfat Emperor

Never tried levy.... just wonder what will happen if another civ takes over the suzerain status a few turns later?

7. stormerne

stormerne is just a Retired Moderator

What is this "boredom" thing of which you speak?! :mischief:

8. JonSnowNot

JonSnowNot Chieftain

Levy is probably my favorite part of Civ 6. Makes for a nice Game of throne roleplay too.

9. Arms Longfellow

Arms Longfellow Warlord

This happened to me once. All of the city state units blew up. No idea if that's intended or a bug.

Something else you might want to know: you DO NOT gain control of the city state's civilian units, because I levied them hoping that I would take control of a settler that they captured, but I didn't get it.

10. DizzKneeLand33

DizzKneeLand33 Fall from Heaven 2 still rocks

I wonder what happens when you levy the units and then declare war on the CS to take the settler.... :crazyeye:

11. Victoria

You cannot declare war on an ally and they need to be an ally to levy them.

12. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

I've been keeping an eye on a chance to levy. Hasn't happened yet.

An old post noted that if you levy and delete the units, the cs will then build newer units finally. Although I've seen cs's doing alright with modernizing.

Be interesting to play a game with a small military, keeping maintenance down, and relying solely on levying for military needs.

13. VTMatt

VTMatt Chieftain

Another Vermonster! :goodjob:

I rarely levy, but that's not a bad idea. I could see myself using it more than I usually do in peaceful science/culture games. I think the trick is unless you're REALLY all in on it, there's a big degree of luck in being suz of city states that are actually in useful spots. I'm not going to take some religious CS over one with a better bonus, even if the religious CS is in an opponents backyard and the other is in the north pole :lol:

14. Canadian Bluebeer

Canadian Bluebeer Prince

Levy a CS that's behind the lines, or in the middle of your enemy. One with a buncha troops. Then you can upgrade those troops.
    Chaos then begins. (I like doing this one)

Mind you, once you levy, they are YOUR troops for purposes of being close to someone elses borders.
    Yes, the AI will whine about it, and may DoW you.

15. magha77

magha77 Warlord

I did it once in a game against Australia as the Aztecs. I believe I used Preslav, unfortunately their units were so weak against a runaway OP Australia that even after upgrading them, they still were nothing against the cities. AI had two cities pretty close together (shocking!) with tons of districts so i pillaged like no tomorrow. As you pointed out, AI asked for peace even though I had absolutely no hope against them even with my best units. This was the game that I decided that if I ever see Australia in the early game, to go out of my way to immediately knock them out (and no keeping them to one city so that they remain weak and nonthreatening...I'm too scared of them). I haven't felt about a competing Civ like this since the Civ 4 days with the Zulus or Mongols.

16. Victoria

I once levied expecting me to be able to upgrade the troops within their borders, after all, they are my ally. Seemed I could not upgrade their troops in their land.... that's very out of hand

17. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

You wouldn't want those advanced weapons falling into the wrong hands, would you?

Victoria likes this.
  18. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I levied a CS's army in my current game. When I lost Suzerainty, the units simply teleported back to the CS's land. I lost Suzerainty naturally, however, not because another AI invest more envoys than me.

I had no problem upgrading levied units in the CS's territory :confused:

19. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

So if you lose suzy, troops port back. Odd. What if levy timer ends?

Hmmmmm.... @Victoria

guess they port so you can't levy, force march them 100 kliks, then dow the cs so your 3 man force (or farce) can't have an easy kill. Or another civ can't seize the opportunity. Damn. That would have been brilliant. Can't believe they thought of that.

Do you get the returns on pillaging? Thinking coastal cs's with big navies to levy.

Great for dowing those far away civs that can't hit you back. Never seen an ai levy.

Have fought ai suzied cs's though.

20. Victoria

My upgrade issue was a few patches ago so may have changed. I did tonight upgrade a musketman in an allies land..

@agonistes seems they think of a lot of sneaky things and miss the obvious.... I never saw teleporting happen... why do AI have to try everything?... someone else, save their current game and try, I'll like your post a lot