1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anti-Cultural Recoil

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Continental Op, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Continental Op

Continental Op Warlord

When you see an opponent civ gunning for culture victory, when is the time to start preparing to anti-cultural war and sack the opponent's capital? Some time ago I found out that when their capital is already legendary and two other cities hit 40 000 (prince/normal), it's way too late and the CV is just mere 10 turns away. In that game, when I realized that I was done for, I amused myself by sending my sorry "SoD" of 28 units on a suicide mission to see what would happen. It was a suicide all right - all of them were massacred immediately upon landing. But it makes me wonder if I could have made it had I just reacted faster. Nukes could have helped of course, but they had been banned by the very same runaway civ, who for that matter also had 5 vassals and strong lead in both tech and military so I would have lost that game one way or the other no matter what (but for some odd reason he never put diplomation to a vote). I just have this tendency to try to ruin my competitors plans whenever I see I'm going to lose, and it would have been fun to deny CV from him.

2. kossin

kossin Deity

As soon as you notice they will win Culture, start preparing. You don't necessarily need to take out the Capital, any of the 3 Culture cities is usually good enough.

Alternatives: nukes, win before, get someone to DoW them for you.

3. TheBoboni

TheBoboni Chieftain

Well, the best way to counter culture seems to check the victory conditions screen often. I do my first check around the time I get to Liberalism (or someone else does) and then try to do it regularly. Be prepared, know what the opponents are trying to do. That said, I've never had the game end with a Cultural win of an AI, I always win before that (or lose :/).

But the best advice I think would be:

1. Be aware what's going on around you and be prepared.
    2. If they're going for cultural, bribe someone to DoW on them or do it yourself. You could even start a war, take the city by surprise and RAZE it if the AI is much stronger than you and odds are he's going to take it back. Sure, it's a big diplo hit, but if prevents you from losing the game, it's worth it.

4. banson

banson Warlord

what u could have done was dow that civ alot earlier, letting one have 5 vassals is just asking to die.you could have killed him or took out a few of his vassals any ways.
    unless your power and tech can let u handle him, but even then he becomes a huge threat to u in terms of power and tech spending.

either keep up, surpass or dont bother to play the game at all.

5. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I don't like bribing them to war on culture whores. Too many bad experiences where the stoooopids cap the culture whore before taking a top 3 culture city. That's like asking to lose but the AI will do it.

6. Artichoker

Artichoker Emperor

When it comes to prevention, earlier is better (almost always). Do not wait until the last minute.

If you are using nukes, and only want to prevent a culture victory, you can focus on one city (usually the weakest, assuming they have only 3 culture cities). They will usually seek peace within 1-2 turns, assuming you do significant damage to them.

Probably the safest way to prevent an AI cultural victory, though, is to use a combination of nukes and conventional forces to capture their strongest cultural city. You may need to raze that city in some cases. If your conventional forces are strong enough, you can also skip the nukes.

7. iggymnrr

iggymnrr Deity

Don't suppose there was a way to get your three cities legendary first?

8. Continental Op

Continental Op Warlord

Not really. I'm not that good with cultural path and when I realize my original plan of dom/space/diplo is not happening, it's too late for CV too I guess. Don't know, haven't really tried. Been playing a couple of prince level games, but don't seem to be able to keep up. Nothing catastrophic, I'm usually a strong #2 by the end, but nevertheless I just went back to noble a bit for some more of those easy victories where I can pretty much do as I like with all the perverted ways.

9. banson

banson Warlord

well try to learn some strats while your there to take to next lvl

10. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Other ways: when you see their cities creeping up early, you can focus EPs and revolt one of their cities every turn. My last game, that was good enough, since it cost ~1000 EP to revolt their city, and my empire could generate ~900 a turn (even without the EP slider), so I could do that to stop them. Mind you, I also built a ton of tanks and took out 2 of their 3 culture cities, but that's just because I was bored...

For me, once 2 of their 3 cities get under the 100 counter for turns to go, that's when you need to kick it into overdrive. Another thing - well planned, you don't want to capture, so amphibious assaults work. Odds are one of their 3 will be coastal, so build a bunch of destroyers to bomb defenses to 0, some fighters to bombard (or bombers if they're close enough to a base of yours), even a bunch of cruise missiles too work decently (or nukes if you're so lucky). Then get lots of CR3 tanks/CR3 infantry if you have them/marines, and go nuts. Hitting them one turn means they won't be prepared for it as much, and you can just go in and raze it.

11. CLST

CLST Warlord

You definitely want to start as early as possible. Typically these cities are good anyway because they have a lot of wonders. Aiming to take and keep them is usually a good idea. If the cultural victory is close you will want to raze them.

I've only run into the problem of having HC a dominant power on another continent with a near cultural victory. I had a fun navy/air/ground stack that razed his culturrrrrral coastal city and then of course proceeded to raze the rest of them.

12. Continental Op

Continental Op Warlord

Yeah, it was HC in this particular case too, with only me and Cathy unvassalized by him. JC would have gone for diplomation for sure. I wonder if it´s in the code that the AI´s can´t pursue multiple victory paths, when HC would have won earlier if he just would have put the matter to vote.