1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anti-Muslim Climate seems to be on the rise in the UK

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Norlamand, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Norlamand

Norlamand Procrastinator Rex

http://www.thisislondon.com/news/articles/PA_NEWSOCIALMuslimsth01muslimpr?source=

2. Quasar1011

Quasar1011 King of Sylvania

Interesting, but not surprising.

3. stormbind

stormbind Retenta personam!

Britain has anti-discrimination laws. I haven't noticed an increase in anti-muslim attitudes around me, in local, or in national news.

Could it be that the muslims asked are feeling more vulnerable to, and thereby exagerating, perceived prejudice?

4. Jack the Ripper

Jack the Ripper King

Well of course the brits are going to be a bit suspicious considering the mosques there are filled with extremist scum that scream out in support of the slaughter of americans and jews.

5. CenturionV

CenturionV Warrior Forever

Yeah, really, when large groups of people at home and over seas are screaming for you collective heads on the chopping block and apparently doing everything in there power to acheive that goal, and have already killed thousands towards that end, I think people have a right to feel a little suspicious towards that type of people regardless of whether that person has actually been involved themselves, its just human nature.

6. Sanaz

Sanaz Gorilla Joe

I don't believe it. I have never seen it or heard of it in London, even slightly. Maybe our family lives in the "right" part of town, and when we visit (a month or two a year) we only go to the "right" part of town.

I don't trust the "IHRC", from looking at their web site (http://www.ihrc.org/). Their method for gathering this information is very leading and inaccurate, and shouldn't be quoted. But then, the Evening Standard is also useless. Inflaming racial prejudice like this article does is irresponsible, and doesn't help in the cases of actual prejudice.

7. Mario Feldberg

Mario Feldberg Emperor

Luckily, the Brits are too drunk most of the time to cause any real harm.

8. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Looks like Norlamand pulled a Zulu.

And it's a worrying trend, but hardly surprising. (Assuming it's all true, of course.)

9. Oruc

Oruc Reactionary

they were always subjected to prejudice, the amount hasnt changed tho

10. zulu9812

zulu9812 The Newbie Nightmare

Explain fool, and it'd better be good.

I'm tired of people switching their brain off and using me for target practice, when actually, I'm trying to help the buggers.

11. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Well I like your threads actually, I was just pointing out that if people are gonna take the piss out of you for making 3 anti-US threads in one day, they should do the same to Norlamand if he's gonna make 3 anti-UK threads in one day.

12. zulu9812

zulu9812 The Newbie Nightmare

Oh ok, sorry. Like I say, I'm getting annoyed at people taking pot shots at me without actually putting their brain in gear. But I shouldn't have taken it out on you.

Well, my recent threads have been anti-American. But that's what I feel about countries which go around invading and eventually impacting on my civil rights.

13. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

You are to anti-Americanism what a Evangelistic Christian is to Christianity. You can keep talking about the coming days of doom, and trying to help the buggers avoid them, but after a while, people are just going to ignore you.

14. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

Alot of anti-muslim action is coming fromn a small minority (yes I do mean the BNP and their coherts) who try and stir up tensions in already tense areas. On the whole, Britain is very tolerant (more sdo in cities, in the country there sometimes is more prejudice). Alot of violence is to do with the gang warafre mentality, where rascists gangs fight each other (and yes I mean rascisim from both sides) which causes repurcusiions in the local government.

(Also I like Zulu's threads to :) )

15. Riesstiu IV

Riesstiu IV Deity

Pray tell, how in the world does the Bush administration affect your civil rights? Look I don’t like Bush anymore than you but saying that the United States affects your civil rights is a bit of a stretch isn’t it? The United Kingdom is a sovereign nation which can write, enforce, and judge on its own laws. Now I know your going to retort that Tony Blair is the lap dog of Bush but if you don’t like Tony then elect a Prime Minister that doesn’t bow down to the US administration. It’s not our fault you elected him. You’re a free nation that can elect whomever you want.

16. FearlessLeader2

FearlessLeader2 Fundamentalist Loon

:rotfl: Oh, that's rich! :lol: You gotta hand it to ThisIsLondon, they sure can crack a good joke! :D And here I thought the Brits were all a buncha stiffs since Monty Python broke up and Benny Hill died...

I haven't laughed this hard in weeks!

<snerk> Human Rights <guffaw> Islamic? Hooooooo-Boooooy. I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.

I gotta Google this bunch... www.payk.net/mailingLists/iran-news/html/1995/msg00540.html

17. Azadre

Azadre One more turn...

I like Muslims... oh yeah, I am one.

18. Boleslav

Boleslav ... the cruel

Well, this is disappointing yet predictable news, isn't it?

I'd like to remind people here that Britain was the country where a gang of people murdered a pediatrician because they understood him to be a pediophile.

Hatred and stupidity are a potent cocktail.

19. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

Anti Muslim?

or Anti Muslim extremism?

Quite a difference!

There is a great lack of self criticism among the muslim community (at least here in NL). This omisson, imo, is the main reason for the rise of anti muslim climate.

If I were a member of a religious-cultural group, and extremist members of my religious-cultural group would commit acts of terrorism, I would be ashamed and most certainly not hide behind the facade of this "Why blame us all for the acts of a few" phenomenon.

If British, French, German, Dutch, Belgian or German muslim leaders would firmly speak out against terrorism and show the will to hunt down extremists within their own community, there would be a lot respect!
    Yet, they play victim instead.....

IMHO, that's unacceptable.

20. Jack the Ripper

Jack the Ripper King

Well, they better sober up fast because their country is getting taken over.