1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anti-ship fish

Discussion in 'Strategy and tips' started by stachnie, Jan 11, 2016.

1. stachnie

stachnie Theorist

In my current game I have a problem with an anti-ship fish sinking my ships. This is a some kind of shark or whale and has a few anti-ship promotions (IIRC 5-6 first strikes and +575% against wooden ships). I am in a late Ancient era and I wonder how to kill this fish. I play with Size Matters but I think even 9 War Galley upgrades (these available with Seafaring, I forgot their name) merged into one unit would fail (this was the case in my previous game). Do you think some bombardment would help? In such case I would need to wait at least for Classical era.

S.

2. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

How did you allow this fish to get so strong? Seriously. If you lose a ship to one of the stronger fish you better take a big enough Fleet to take it down asap. Sending 1 ship is just feeding the "Tiger".

JosEPh :)

3. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

lol... I've had this problem before. The Leviathon promos are hella strong. Once the fish gets one of them you're pretty much going to have a very hard time facing it. You'll need a very strong naval presence to even try.

4. stachnie

stachnie Theorist

Not only me - this was an area where a few civs sent their outriggers. And I noticed the problem when I started to lose strong ships in the area.

S.

Edit: I had sent a strong ship (3 merged Triremes) to deal with the problem. It reached a fish with some anti-ship promo, a good chance to win, victory. And then it turned out that nearby there was a much deadlier fish and my poor ship had no chance... A temporary workaround for me is to be careful in the area and keep to teritorial waters. With Seafaring (Navigation 2 and Maneuvring [sp?] 1) this is not difficult.

5. BigThinker

BigThinker Chieftain

I don't suppose it was a carp, by any chance? :lol:

Timekiller likes this.
  6. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

I waited till it (it was a Great White of course) was 20% injured and it still took 3 caravels with two or three Sea Hunter promos each (and I think they got lucky). Before caravels, I can only advise "stay away" or send your entire fleet and don't expect anything back.

It can get this (Leviathan II iirc) as its third promo. In fact, it may be the only promo it can get at that point.. Fix it please.

7. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Yudishtira,
    Please update your play version, please. I've posted links to a v37.5 Full Mod Patch that will get you much more up to date. But again your save game you continue to play will become unplayable with the Patch.

Otherwise we have no way to "fix" your current game. You are playing a game save that is 2+ years out dated. Just not possible to "fix". Although the situation you posted about Has been Fixed with current SVN.

8. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

What version I play on has no effect on whether this promo is still broken in the mod.

When you have nothing relevant or constructive to say, feel free to butt out..

9. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

If you are not playing the new version how do you know it's still broken?

And Okay I'll put you on ignore and never bother you again. Apparently trying to be helpful is not appreciated in your mind.

Good bye Yudi.

10. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Well some fixes need new game to be started.
    And make sure you use V37 with patches or latest SVN.

11. tmv

tmv Emperor

Talking to yourself is ... :crazyeye:

12. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Sea Critters don't and never have just represented the critter. They represent the dangers of sea travel. We tried having Storms in but they cause huge turn delays, in part due to path finding, and defeat the AI completely.

I think all sea critters should disappear off the may when the Modern Era is reached.

13. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Have we already reduced the power or eliminated those Leviathan promotions? I was not aware we addressed that so I'm just asking to stay in 'the know'. I do think they were a little too strong.

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

What about fishing hunter ships? I still like this idea because it gives one more target for pirates throughout all ages.

15. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

As discussed elsewhere there is a proposal to have early ships to have access to sea hunting but at Commercial Whaling a line of Whalers becomes available as sea critter hunters.

16. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

A good reason not to meddle with the fishies for now. I like this plan.

17. Chaotic Paladin

Chaotic Paladin Chieftain

Are you Moby-Dick?

18. stachnie

stachnie Theorist

After playing heavily modded Skyrim, HOMM V (MMH5.5), Civ V etc. I came back to C2C (thanks for the new release!). I have similar problems with fish (especially that I play with Hide&Seek on, so many sea monsters ambush my ships). Now I am in the Classical era and I lost 9 merged Triremes with Sea Hunter IV but 27 merged Triremes with the same promotion seem to be safe (I have not upgraded them to Decaremes, because they have a problem with interface similar to Workboats). I will also check if 9 merged Sea Turtles will be able to protect 3 merged Galleys...

19. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

It's primarily Crocodiles, the big ones, being a bit too powerful, right? My wife's games have been plagued by killer crocs.

20. Snofru1

Snofru1 Emperor