1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

Anti-Steam Petition

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by techathon, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techathon

techathon Member

We, as a community of fans of Sid Meier's Civilization, wish for the new installment of the series to not require Steam in any way. Neither for playing reasons nor for the DELUXE version.

This may not be the most effective way of communicating our ideas, however we civfanatics wish to be heard in the ears of people who work for Fraxis Games.

Please, if you are signing this petition, make a separate line like;

/Sign

Signers of the updated petition:
    Spoiler :
    Techathon
    Nick Danger
    PieceOfMind
    CivFanMUC
    Hail
    scratchthepitch
    apenpaap
    Niptium
    Ddude97
    Rashiminos
    Woobi
    BigBirdZ28
    Idle
    Schwarzbart
    De Begerac
    majk-iii
    mossmonster
    Harok
    Kosmopolit
    PPQ_Purple
    zeggy

2. Taalen

Taalen Chieftain

Completely agree with the heart of this post, even if the wording could be better

3. 501st Legion

501st Legion Warlord

If there are no plans for a retail collector's edition of Civ V, then sign me in.

I want my big Civ V Collector's Edition box complete with colored manual, game soundtrack, making of documentary, building and unit planners, poster, a unit figurine and the Civ V board game.

4. CivFanMUC

CivFanMUC Chieftain

Civilization V is coming to stores also. But you HAVE to register and install Steam to play Civ5

/edit:
    oh, "DELUXE"

therefore:
    /signed

(and please make Steamworks optional, thanks)

5. snowlyon

snowlyon Chieftain

agreed.
    ...and even though I have no plans on picking it up I still think there should be a retail version available.

/signed

6. Chalks

Chalks The blue pieces

Reading comprehension fail

7. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

Can someone please point to towards an internet petition that ever had any impact?

8. snowlyon

snowlyon Chieftain

sigh....he is looking for a deluxe edition to be available in retail stores. he is not refering to the regular version. at current time, from everything I have seen the deluxe edition is only being available "exclusively" via steam. if there is somewhere posting the retail version of Deluxe CIV V pls post link showing this fact.

...and no. petitions normally do not have any real impact, but sometimes they do. one never knows till one starts up.~

9. Chalks

Chalks The blue pieces

All games have a SE available for retail in some description, I guess the steam exclusive "delux" version is just a "buy it through steam plx" incentive.

Is it a bandwidth thing or a love of physical boxes that makes a retail copy of the game important?

10. j-d-s

j-d-s Chieftain

/sign

11. snowlyon

snowlyon Chieftain

given face value of the released information there is NOT going to be a physical representation of the deluxe version. hense the reason for the petition that he started. will it work? history says "no" but this is not a hard fast rule as some have had some effect, small as that percentage may be....

why a physical copy? because some people like to have something tangible with their purchases. there are numerous other reasons all of which you know very well...~

12. CivFanMUC

CivFanMUC Chieftain

13. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

For many people there is a bandwidth issue. In many countries (eg New Zealand) ISPs are pretty bad and don't offer cheap high-speed unlimited bandwidth contracts. A game thats 1.5 GB can chew that bandwidth limits pretty fast.

14. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

You say something smug as this, yet you didn't read the OP before posting?

I'd think that people buying a "Deluxe Edition" do so because they're collecting. Yeah, there's the extra civ and content, but many people want the fancy things that come in the box.

15. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

Indeed and agreed.

16. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

couldn't care less. I will not support this lameness by ordering from steam, and I care not if this deluxe edition will be available in stores. I will purchase the boxed version and trust that expansions will make the game complete anyway. In BtS there are quite a few leaders that I do not like and I would not care if they were kicked out.

I think an extra leader that may or may not be worth it is barely enough incentive to actually support the download from steam. Let firaxis do as they please with steam, I refuse to support that nonsense.

17. Luckystrike77

Luckystrike77 Prince

I agree! I don't want Steam to be able to run the game, and I want classical expansion packs, not buying a civ here and a scenario pack there. I really can't understand why some consumers can say they want Steam, it's consumer hostile in its nature.

18. Sterf

Sterf Warlord

So buy it in a store. God, you people can whine about stuff you obviously haven't researched anything about.

EDIT: Oh yeah, good luck with your internet petition (haha) against something that's already decided.

19. Samus_au

Samus_au Chieftain

/golf clap.

Exactly. Nerd rage isn't all that powerful. Like it or not with the game due in a few months time there is nothing to be done about it.

20. Willem

Willem Deity

That's still not acceptable as far as I'm concerned. I won't be forced to put some third party software on my computer in order to play the game. It looks like this is one Civ title I won't be buying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.