1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

Anti-Steam Petition

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by techathon, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toni1

Toni1 Warlord

I already agreed with you (I'm intentionally ignoring irrelevant parts btw ;)), yes you should have choise of multiplayer client, heck you shouldn't even have to install any if you don't multiplay!:p :D All multiplayer clients should be standalone aplications chosen and installed (or not) by user. Are we in agreement? :D

2. MaxCiv

MaxCiv Warlord

If Microsoft goes bankrupt and goes away forever who will patch all the Windows OSes when a new critical security exploit is discovered?

If an asteroid big enough hits the Earth, you can say good bye to all your Civ games as well as everything else and if you are lucky you get to play Fallout 3 without a PC.

3. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

LOL.

We didn't agree. I was being *ridiculously* sarcastic. ;D the fact that my over the top sarcasm could be missed by anyone on the opposing side of the argument pretty much says it all really.

My point: Where's the "GRR Gamespy DLL is installed whether you like it or not" thread on Civ4? It doesn't exist. People are only getting on Steam's case because it has the decency to present itself on your PC and not hide away all sneaky like.

Hence rendering every anti-Steam person who played Civ4 quite merrily's argument completely fatuous. This is a non-argument. Yet a non-argument that's gone on 27 pages. And probably thousands of pages for other games that have been announced to use Steamwerks. There's bigger fish to fry out there. Valve are probably the most cuddly awesome publishers ever to exist, and they're the target of this much opposition when there are some proper proper **** publishers out there much more worthy of all this energy.

4. Sterf

Sterf Warlord

One could say it's not the year 2000 anymore, though. edit: God, are you being sarcastic? I can't tell anymore...

5. Toni1

Toni1 Warlord

Depends what you mean. Hopefully you're not talking about worst dissaster that has ever befallen on Civ series by the forcefeeding of steam crapware? :crazyeye: If it's something else, then I apology. :D:sarcasm:

6. Toni1

Toni1 Warlord

I was actually hoping that you weren't serious :D

Actually no, I would be against tyeing Civ 5 (at least exclusively) with GfWL, Impulse or similar. Heck, I'd buy it from GamersGate if it lacked whole multiplayer (and 'community features', dlc etc crap) aspect all together! And I'm being very serious here. I would not miss those parts at all.

7. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

well I would. leave my multiplayer alone it's 90% of why I want it. :p and after the nightmare of the godawful game breaking Gamespy the news it's on steam was met with a collective 'whoop' from my circle of Civ friends.

But even if it didn't use Steam matchmaking, I'd still defend it to the hilt as Firaxis have every right to choose the technology they use to make sure Civ5 is a success. And (providing it's good) it will be a success whether any amount of Civ Fanatics boycott it or not. Most people (rightly) don't really care that much and are more bothered about what the game's gonna be like.

So why am I getting involved? I can tell the anti-steam are never going to be convinced, but when I see uninformed paranoid anti-establishment dummy-spitting it winds me up a bit ;) is it REALLY that big a deal? Will it affect ANYTHING about how you play the game? It will me, it'll improve it massively. So you don't like multiplayer? Let me have my Steam, and let Take Two have their DRM. It's not going to eat your children or anything.

(btw this is all not at you, just anti-Steamers in general ;))

8. CaptainBinky

CaptainBinky Warlord

In the grand scheme of things, a man with stick destroying a stack of tanks is infinitely more annoying than any DRM a game could have.

9. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

Thread win!

This argument should be laid to rest anyway. You all should head to the Steam forums and sign up. They have some great tools for online petitions.

10. Toni1

Toni1 Warlord

I will as soon as you/they leave my singleplayer alone (no Steam, GfWL, Impulse etc.) ;) :D

True (removed potential flamebait ;)) and we have both right to complain and vote with our wallets.

I'll meet you in my backyard at dawn! You get to choose the weapon. Only one of us will leave alive! ;):p (hopefully you ment to exlude me, I'm anti-forced client in this case (and pro choise rather), it just happens to be steam in this case :D).

I can see what you're doing, you devil's advocate you :D

11. Sterf

Sterf Warlord

Ha, I have the ULTIMATE weapon for a duel against an anti-steam user. I'll gift my brother a copy of Civ V on Steam to invalidate your non-buying-it! TAKE THAT!

12. Toni1

Toni1 Warlord

Noooooooo! "And there was a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced!" :lol::p:D:goodjob:

I should have left the choise as pistol and sword as I originally wrote :D :p

13. techathon

techathon Member

Guys, Im pretty sure this thread will go down if we do not stop fighting. So please, argue on a different thread and just leave this to signers, thank you

14. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

I think it's perhaps better we pad out the signers with pages of circular arguing, that way it'll appear like your cause has more support. :)

(Toni1: Steam doesn't affect your single-player experience in the slightest. The lack of it affects multi-player massively.)

SORRY I'LL STOP NOW. ;D

15. Toni1

Toni1 Warlord

Yes it does as do GfWL, Impulse etc. They all require themselves to be installed to play. Why would I want anything so useless infecting my computer? :p

Ok, we agreed to disagree (Hell will freeze over before either of us changes opinion :p) so move along . Nothing to see here :D

16. CaptainBinky

CaptainBinky Warlord

I'm curious how it can be said that the software which enables you to play Civ5 can be called useless. Seems like pretty useful functionality to me. :p

17. techathon

techathon Member

hey, STOPIT

18. CaptainBinky

CaptainBinky Warlord

Sorry.

/signed

No wait, the other one.

/unsigned

19. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Thread Status: