1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anti-Steam Petition

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by techathon, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Deity

There has been players that came up with their own dedicated servers, but that is underground and the numbers of people that play in this is pretty much unknown. I know that there are many that had downloaded the illegal copy and then their account from Steam later became banned. After that, more of them downloaded more illegal copies in new accounts. But they are few since it takes a little sophistication on knowing how to trick Steam into thinking you not are the same person with another account using either the same pirated copy or a new pirated copy. I am sure there are people who had downloaded pirated copy and after their account getting banned, they later purchase the game and created a new account.

I wish I had access to that statistics.

2. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Call me an optimist, but I think a huge number of people against this **** on the fan-forums does make at least a little difference.

Sadly for 2K/Firaxis nothing else counts, just the number of saled copies. They are thinking in short term only...

But in the long term, Civ IV was such a big succes because of the modders here on CFC and other similar forums
    And this way Firaxis and 2K loses the majority of their most important (modding) fans...

Btw, check out this poll.
    Has really interesting results
    Over 60% percent claims they don't buy Civ V this way...

3. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Deity

Too early to find out what the ending results be till after the game is released. And who knows, maybe it will flip upside down in favoring of yes on purchasing Civ 5 this way. :p

4. Maeztu

Maeztu Chieftain

And, as customers, we are allowed to criticize their policies.

5. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

Perhaps, but there are many Steam avoiding hacks, and not all online games are played illegally on private servers, some also can be played on the standard servers. And with a readme, which is nearly always included or posted somewhere or whatever, you don't need any kind of experience. But you will acquire some, and then you'll be able to trick any program soon enough. And just as protection gets better, so gets piracy...

6. apenpaap

apenpaap Tsar of all the Internets

It won't do anything about it, but signed.

7. xenobiotic

xenobiotic Chieftain

From the other thread:

Wrong. Civ4 has over 3 million sales. This site (the largest) has a total of 180,000 members, most of which do not have civ4. How do you figure this Civ4 was a big success because of modders?

Do you honestly believe that if civ5 is acclaimed as much as civ4 that all these people will not buy the game on principle? Please. Look at the preorder sales for civ5 on steam 4 months before release. Looks like it is going to do fine, just like all games on steam.

8. kayapo

kayapo Chieftain

I love digital download. I was probably going to buy Civ5 off steam anyway because it usually is available before Gamersgate.

But I refuse to support monopolisation policies. I refuse to buy a game off steam because I'm forced too.

This is bad for the digital download business, a business that has renewed the gaming industry as of late.

I will not buy a game from steam ever again.

9. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

I'm sure people are smart enough here, but do realize that people could (and will) vote that they will not buy Civilizations V just to remove Steam, but in the end will buy it.

10. Uncle Ho

Uncle Ho Chieftain

"given face value of the released information there is NOT going to be a physical representation of the deluxe version"...assuming this is true they've lost my business forever...I'm not paying full price for half a game, I'm not switching the net on every time I play the game and I'm not loading a pile of s**t onto my computer...goodbye forever :mad:

Don't kid yourself...I have a full and happy life without another computer game and I'm still enjoying BTS just fine anyway.

11. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Haha, what?

12. xenobiotic

xenobiotic Chieftain

Strong logic here. How is this any different than publishers having exclusive rights to a game?
    First of all educate yourself on how steam works before making ridiculous claims. Second, no one cares.

13. apenpaap

apenpaap Tsar of all the Internets

I think a lot of those people will actually be pirating it, if they are pissed off by these kinds of things but still want to play the game.

14. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Signed :).

Define please "impact".

I'll also not buy it.
    We have to resist, mates :beer:.

15. Chalks

Chalks The blue pieces

Haha, wow.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the sort of high quality logic that keeps the anti-steam crowd thoroughly ignored.

I for one appreciate the contribution to the cause.

16. ripple01

ripple01 Emperor

/signed

17. Bad Brett

Bad Brett King

As much as I wish to support Firaxis, I won't pay for this garbage.

/Signed

18. west india man

west india man Immortal

Optional Steam is one thing. Compulsory Steam is entirely another, and I will not buy it. Steam is a Steaming pile of turds.

/Signed

19. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

These people would be impossible to parody.

20. Iceciro

Iceciro Special Ability: Decimate

Steam provides firaxis with a valuable service, on many levels. I don't have any problem with people making a decision not to buy a game when a company makes a decision like this - I didn't buy MW2 due to some smilar decisions made that impacted the game. But what I don't understand is this "row row fight the powa" thing that you people have going on. Steamworks is a development kit, one that is by now integrated into the game, probably at the engine level. If this is a decision that makes you not buy Civ, that's fine. Vote with your dollars and move on. But stop making such a big deal out of it. It's their game, not yours, no matter how much you love previous iterations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.