1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anti-Vax Movement

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Colonel, Nov 28, 2020.

?

Would you get a COVID-19 Vaccine?

1. Yes, US Citizen

28 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. No, US Citizen

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. Yes, Rest of World

42 vote(s)
    55.3%
  4. No, Rest of World

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. N/A - Can't

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

I'll probably just follow the sheep .... wherever that flock of sheep gets me. I can imagine that I have the choice - but that is an illusion, comfortable , yet illusion.

Hygro likes this.
  2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

The virus doesn't care about the legal status of the body it inhabits, or the one it wants to move to.

I understand medical exemptions. For instance, I refuse to use hand sanitizer because the results of doing so would be me coughing as bad as if I'd inhaled second-hand smoke. And some people are so paranoid nowadays that even the smallest sniffle makes them back away like you have plague (honestly, people do have allergies, people sniffle when they cry, and people cough if they've swallowed something wrong). As I've said to people, I have an ample supply of gloves and don't mind wearing them (and I wash frequently anyway, and definitely first thing after returning from outside the apartment even if it's just been to get my mail and I haven't touched any common surface that others have touched, other than the mail).

But I honestly have no patience with religious exemptions. The virus doesn't give a damn about the religion of the host body it's either in or wants to be in.

Unfortunately, there are numerous diseases we thought had been defeated. All it takes is a dedicated group of anti-vaxxer parents, and poof! you have regular bulletins to get tested for measles because someone with that disease potentially spread it to everyone in a waiting room, restaurant, or food court on a specific day, within a specified time period.

I hope this vaccine works, and that there aren't side effects beyond those of a normal flu shot (fatigue and soreness for a few days). I can deal with those.

3. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

The view in the UK (or at least old England) seems to be that:

(a) they will roll out the vaccine to medical staff first, hopefully starting in January 2021, the theory being:
    (i) medical staff deal with the most vulnerable patients
    (ii) they are needed at work, not as highly paid public employees skiving at home in luxurious isolation
    (iii) their locations are known so the medical community will make a good final test sample

(b) in the absence of battle of the Somme casualties from the above,
    the vaccine will be rolled out to the over 50s here in the UK in the April

(c) in the absence of a greater mortality rate, life will return to normal for the survivors in the summer.

Allowing for project slip, as I am over 50, I may (optimistic hat on) be vaccinated in May.
    It will likely be the Oxford vaccine as that is cheapest and the government is broke.

If I survive, I will probably get an improved version sometime in 2022/2023.

I wonder if there is a potential market in kiss me quick, I have been vaccinated T shirts.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  4. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Who's gonna be the first at CFC to get vaccinated?

5. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Better jump on it now, because someone's probably already thought of it.

Probably anyone working in the medical field, or as a first responder (cops, firefighters, etc.).

Since we have no top-tier politicians here, those are my guesses.

It'll be fascinating to see if Aimee, Synsensa, and I are considered among the "should have due to being at-risk" demographic or if we'll be an afterthought. Of course we all live in different provinces with different policies anyway.

6. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

My only hope is that the ordinary people are safe and there's no political "mumbo-jumbo" about it - that's a bloodspoiler - the politicians are pressuring us the hard way imho. A light resistance is in order ! Me thinks.

And if light resistance does not work ..... lt's just .... shoot the 1 guy responsible ....I've realized I sound like Stalin methods .......

Shame...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2020
  7. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Yeah one of you might be the first.

8. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I voted yes but could have gone with a no. I'm old enough to be at greater risk but I just dont get sick from various bugs, so better to let others get vaccinated before me. If I do get the bug my medical history suggests mild symptoms at most. If a decent vaccine proves itself safe I'd eventually get it. Probably. ;)

as for anti-vaxers

https://apnews.com/article/virus-ou...ited-nations-619efb65b9eeec5650f011b960a152e9

The World Health Organization says a new polio outbreak in Sudan is linked to an ongoing vaccine-sparked epidemic in Chad — a week after the U.N. health agency declared the African continent free of the wild polio virus.

9. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Of course. But the point is that no official here has ever claimed there are 1,5 million illegals here ;)

10. sendos

sendos Immortal

I answered yes, rest of world.

I wouldn't rush for one though. Others would be more deserving and more in need of a vaccine than me.

11. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

That'd be only Lemon right now, I guess?

I'll sure get it (I need to travel to see my GF), but being young and healthy, I'll probably among the last ones.

12. Samson

Samson Deity

I get the flu jab on the taxpayer every year because of my job, and have some health issues that increase my risk. I guess I may get it sooner than most. I will definitely take it if offered, more about the added freedom than the risk of serious covid.
    I reckon that idea could make a million.
    The prevalence of vaccine derived polio outstripping wild polio is a sign on the success of the program.

Lexicus, Birdjaguar and The_J like this.
  13. Darsnan

Darsnan Emperor

My wife's been on the frontlines of this pandemic since last winter, so yeah I'll be getting the shot when its available.

D

IglooDude and AdamCrock like this.
  14. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

I sure does not envy Lemon , taking a wad stick in the nose every day like it's x-mas ! I bet it's not pleasant - Sorry Lemon :(

15. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I shall get it when it becomes available to my age group which will probably be Feb.-Apr. next year.

16. tjs282

tjs282 Socially distancing since 1975

I picked yes, but with the caveat that it be a standard antigen-based vaccine of the type which has been used successfully for the past couple of hundred years.

But a vaccine which is still essentially in the "experimental new technology" stage? Absolutely bloody not. I have no intention of making myself an unpaid guinea-pig for Pfizer or Bayer or anyone.

So no to this trumpeted new RNA-vaccine.

Narz likes this.
  17. Kyriakos

At least one would expect the entire handsomely paid oligarchs in the political parties to take the vaccine first, instead of letting poor and old citizens be the guinea pigs.

18. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

I like how so many of you lose your critical thinking skills when it comes to vaccinations. mRNA vaccines are fine, you're not being experimented on, and all of you "I'll let other people get it before I will" people are silly (if everyone held this view, nobody would get it). If you are young and healthy, you are the ideal demographic for vaccination. Not only will you be more capable of tolerating any side effects, but the vaccination depresses symptoms and impacts of the virus, which prevents you, young and healthy and fine, from being a superspreader. I got COVID-19 from someone young and healthy who wasn't concerned about whether or not they got the damn thing, but it's the young and healthy who spread it the worst.

Get vaccinated, you buffoons. Stop flirting with manslaughter because you got the heebie jeebies.

19. Kyriakos

Funny how you are so gallant with other people's bodies :p
    I think it makes perfect sense for those who apparently need it the most, to get it first. Let's not act like these vaccines were a thing a few months ago. Then again if it was either likely death, or vaccine, anyone would have more than enough reason to get it.

I also think the political leadership HAS to get the vaccine, since it will show they actually trust it (also, if they get side-effects, surely that's a plus)

20. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

personally I do not plan to get vaccinated as soon as humanly possible. I skip almost all vaccination unless it's absolutely necessary. the last time I was vaccinated was before travelling to India, since I'm not about to die from Polio. if the vaccine is available to anyone and there are no shortages, the side effects are well explored and CoVid is still raging, I will probably take the vaccine.

I've been postponing going to the doctor for a long time. Due to some dumb mistake by someone close to me, my brand new asthma spray got lost. Now I don't have any asthma medication, but since I'm in the risk group and my city is still exploding with cases I really do not want to sit in a waiting room for an hour in order to get my meds.

It's honestly so incredibly dumb. the only reason why I cannot get my asthma meds at a pharmacy without my doctors prescription is because athletes routinely abuse these meds. I'll be fine without them, my asthma has been pretty weak so far. But for anyone suffering from really strong asthma.. that sucks.

isn't the moral of this story moreso that reckless and egocentric behavior is instrumental in making an individual a superspreader, rather than about vaccination? sure, the vaccination would have helped in that situation, but so would self-isolation.

there are many good arguments to be made about who spreads CoVid the worst. personally I think the main reason isn't people partying or ignoring regulations, but two things:

1) people still travelling constantly for leisure/fun/"business"
    2) people forced to live in inhumane arrangements. in Germany there is an incredibly high correlation of cities that have way too little living space for way too many people (there are families of 5, 6, 7 here that live in hotel rooms designed for a single person, without a kitchen or anything..) and the highest numbers of CoVid cases. worst of all is that these people genuinely have no choice.

innonimatu and tjs282 like this.