AntiAmericanism

Phlegmak

Deity
So, over the years, "antiAmerican" is a word that has been thrown around on internet forums a lot. But exactly what is it?

If an American or nonAmerican says something negative about the US, and that something is true, then I have no problem with it, and I consider it NOT to be antiAmerican.

One of the few things that I can think of that is actually "antiAmerican" is when people (such as Iranian soldiers) shout "death to America!" or when people burn American flags during protests.

So, what do you consider to be antiAmerican, versus a valid criticism?

If you want, replace "American" with any other nationality.

Its when you hate freedom and/or Jesus.

When you americans came to my country and everyone is calling you "gringos" :p

This word is common around the people and it came since the USA-Mexico war, when mexican citizens shouts to american soldiers "Green, go home"

The sound of green go and "gringo" is the same :p

Just a silly example

Some people think it's 'cool' to be anti-American. It's the same people that think it's cool to be an anti-globalization protesting douche.

Bottom line is, it all stems from jealousy. USA is the greatest country in the world - I don't see millions trying to immigrate to Asian or European countries...

Why would Mexicans chant Green, go home! in English? Shouldnt it have been Verde, vayamos! or something like that? And why call them "green"?

Why "Green" as referring to Americans? Was it because of the colour of the US military uniforms at that time?

Some people think it's 'cool' to be anti-American. It's the same people that think it's cool to be an anti-globalization protesting douche.

Bottom line is, it all stems from jealousy. USA is the greatest country in the world - I don't see millions trying to immigrate to Asian or European countries...

I'm not so sure thats it. Most western europeans are glad we don't see the same level of illegal immigration that the US does. The majority of people I know that could be called anti american are anthing but jealous. I think it's mainly because it's pretty easy at the moment to be critical of the US government.

As for the US being the ''greatest country in the world'' - I don't think anywhere can really claim that.

When a person criticizes the US government or the US in general, it all stems from jealousy? Even if the criticism is true?

Do you believe that when you criticize another nation, it's because of jealousy?

:lol: Millions do immigrate to European countries, and millions more would go if the Europeans let them. I can guarantee millions would go to Japan or South Korea if they were allowed. For that matter, Canada and Australia do in fact have higher immigration rates than the US.

I get so tired of this nonsense about how "only in America can a poor person go from the bottom of despair and make it". What garbage. If anything it is more difficult in America than anywhere else in the developed world. Even Barrack Obama spews this nonsense. Tell me, why was it so hard for blacks to even VOTE in some parts of the states until the 1950s/60s? You aren't the greatest country in the world, you are the special needs student.

It is all just part of the American mythology.

I think they where still blue back then. This is right before the civil war.

I forgot about that. We should look it up to verify this.

Anyway, I can make a guess that it has a connotation of something about the character of American people who were quite antagonistic toward the Mexicans in Mexico or in the Southwest which now is US territory. Greed perhaps?

and go Steelers! That was brutal game.....

:lol: Millions do immigrate to European countries, and millions more would go if the Europeans let them. I can guarantee millions would go to Japan or South Korea if they were allowed. For that matter, Canada and Australia do in fact have higher immigration rates than the US.

I get so tired of this nonsense about how "only in America can a poor person go from the bottom of despair and make it". What garbage. If anything it is more difficult in America than anywhere else in the developed world. Even Barrack Obama spews this nonsense. Tell me, why was it so hard for black to even VOTE in some parts of the states until the 1950s/60s? You aren't the greatest country in the world, you are the special needs student.

Yeah Canada and Australia are probably the most popular immigrant destinations now. Hey even Ireland has a higher number of immigrants per person than the US.

I see two possible senses in which I'd consider using "antiAmerican" seriously. One is in describing the mode of argument "negative because American".
The other is in describing proposals, policies et al. opposed to the ideogrammatical lump of things we class with America, which varies somewhat from person to person.

That was a jingoist talking point, not an answer to the question or even a true statement. :nono:

antiamerican is by definition stupid because it's not rational to hate "a country", or all of its inhabitants. You can hate the actions of its current governments, and you can hate some of the inhabitants you met.

As such, anti- sentiments are often in the form of general cliches without any pretense at argumentation, and are quite often simply xenophobic.
"I don't like the French"
"Americans are stupid"
"Arabs are terrorists"

Yeah Canada and Australia are probably the most popular immigrant destinations now. Hey even Ireland has a higher number of immigrants per person than the US.

Yes they are popular, but I think the more significant point is that number of immigrants to developed nations has more to do with government policy as all of them are desirable enough to attract huge numbers of people. I guess geographic location is also significant. Spain gets lots of illegals because it is right across from Morocco.

Yes they are popular, but I think the more significant point is that number of immigrants to developed nations has more to do with government policy as all of them are desirable enough to attract huge numbers of people. I guess geographic location is also significant. Spain gets lots of illegals because it is right across from Morocco.

Yeah I guess that's it, most immigrants can't really afford to pick and choose. It's not like all those immigrants go to the US because it's the "greatest country on earth"...:rolleyes:

Tell me, why was it so hard for blacks to even VOTE in some parts of the states until the 1950s/60s?

You may want to stick to facts from a little closer than half a century ago.

You aren't the greatest country in the world, you are the special needs student.

It is all just part of the American mythology.

:lol: That's a good one. You do realize you live in a country that rapes you with taxes every year?

What about their labor expertise? Is there a report where many people of higher-paid professions (doctors, engineers, scholars, and etc.) are going to United States, instead of lower-paid professions that some immigrants possess that do go to other developed Nations like Canada, Ireland, and Australia to name a few?

Top Bottom