Anticlimax - My first complete Civ5 game.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by thungrim, Dec 1, 2010.

1. aukrest

aukrest History Buff

^This, the biggest let down on winning my first game was the stats screen and little picture, and then clicking that away with absolutely no replay of what happened, like it didn't matter at all the time I spent on the game.

2. jagdtigerciv

jagdtigerciv Prince

I actually prefer the artwork. The videos were nothing special. The graphs, however, are far more important to me -- i'd trade graphs and replays for juvenile movies in a heartbeat.

3. ClarenceSeedorf

ClarenceSeedorf Chieftain

That's what you get for ICS'ing

4. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

Just to make a bit of promotion (not for myself, for once), there is a replay tool here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=388160

And for the graphs, check robk's InfoAddict mod in the mod browser. It doesn't change gameplay (except through knowing more about what your opponents are doing) and is well worth the download

5. Ciproflox

Ciproflox Chieftain

It's not only the endings, but also the lack of an ending climax as such. There's hardly any feeling of "end race" coming up. Space race is somewhat spectacular, since you can actually see progress in the game world. Diplomacy on the other hand is as unspectacular as can be. Since they took away any votes whatsoever (global trading etc.) it s just a pure "anyone else is bored by playing? raise your hand for a quick end" with no tension and hardly a reward feeling for peaceful or diplomatic players.

Conquest can be exciting depending on map and AI evolution, but that's hard to forecast

and reaching cultural victory almost seems just too risky (I've only unlocked 4 or 4 1/2 social policies at a time, when AI at least starts heading for conquest or space race victory). On the other hand, always being far ahead culturally, there wouldnt be any real danger.

E: As for wonder/ending movies: I can perfectly live with "zoom out on a picture"-wonders, something more oppulent for the ending wouldn't be completely wrong considering the amount of time spent in a game.

6. HalfBadger

HalfBadger The Great Whackyness

I miss the end- game videos a bit. However I miss the end-game graphs and information a lot, since that's the type of stuff I'm studying at school I'm really interested in it.

Also I'm very competitive and like to compete against myself. So having all that info helped me compare my games against my other games better. Also allowed me to see where I need to improve and think of different strategies to play the game in different ways.

7. Supernaturalist

Supernaturalist Chieftain

I like the Wonder sequences now- the angelic sound and narration is very nice, I don't know why, but I prefer it. I always, always loved the ending videos though. Like other people have said, it's a very small grievance, but still.

8. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

They still haven't patched in the sorely absent graphs and replays for the endgame? Kind of thought that would have happened by now... :eek:

9. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

I think the end game should be exciting, don't you?

It hardly ever is, though. I mean, if you're going to win by culture, there's very, very little you can do in the late game but wait while the culture points stack up. In the UN, you just stash up enough gold and buy off enough city states to win. In one scenario, you're powerless to affect the outcome (all your decisions were made dozens or hundreds of turns before) and in the other, it's just too easy and there's no nuance to your choices. Conquest is similarly tedious. By the time you're eying your last opponent, the momentum of all your past conquests will make the war unwinnable for your poor miserable victims.

Space race can occasionally be a race, at least. Though in Civ5, not often.

The end game should be completely rethought. The last mile of road to any victory condition should be fraught with complications and new challenges. I know that's a tall order, but it would enrich gameplay a hundred fold.

As you reach your hand to conquer the world, opposition within your own empire should challenge your hegemonistic desires.

As your culture threatens to blanket the world, fundamentalist movements should rise up and reject your agenda.

As you attempt to circumvent gravity and claim space, the AI's should find ways to challenge you--through espionage or coalitions, if need be.

And obviously diplomacy should be about cultivating relationships and finding compromises instead of just bribing lesser states.

10. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

So-o miss the replay and graphs at the end.

Not so much a sad panda as a really narked big Grizzly with a hygeine problem and no rabbits about.

Miss 'em THAT much.

11. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

You might want to take a look at the stickies in the Civ5 strategie subforum ;).

12. ChaplainDMK

ChaplainDMK Warlord

I like the idea of dynamic endings, that would be realy awsome for you to get differant endings.
    Like seeing a depresing and dark industrial city with a very poluted sky, tanks rolling over the highway and soldiers marching prisoners around if you would go for conquest victory, low tech and use the more totalitarian policies :)
    Or get a crystal clear sky, a highly developed city and you would see kids playing on the grass over a hill with a few soldiers saluting a statue if you would have very high tech and personal freedom but would have fought a major war or something like that :)

13. Me_Myself_I

Me_Myself_I Chieftain

14. Me_Myself_I

Me_Myself_I Chieftain

What a civ game needs to make culture more exciting is propaganda vs. propaganda.

Imagine planes dropping propaganda leaflets in your cities, co-opting your broadcast towers, and infiltrating your "independent" media. Public executions, protests/riots, show trials, purges of academia, et cetera.

Culture could be exciting.

15. biohazard72

biohazard72 Prince

I so dearly miss the replay. I didn't play Civ4, but in Civ3, I loved to watch how wars progressed on other continents, to relive the great events in my empire's history, and to pinpoint the point in time where the tide turned in my favour.