1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Antiquity Sites are Untouchable? That's Pretty Inconvenient.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by steveg700, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

I agree. The museum would only be a temporary residence for the artifacts, and I believe the AI pays quite well for great works. It doesn't seem like too bad a trade-off.

As for the archaeologist expiring, I'm not sure how that'd work in this case. They don't have an explicit amount of charges: I've used English archaeologists and they lasted for 6 digs, which is the space of an English archaeology museum. So what if you never allowed your museum to fill up completely? Food for thought.

2. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Well, the alternative is to just let the player who owns the territory decide whether or not he wants to build on the antiquity site. That's pretty balanced. If it's not in your territory, then of course then that's a different matter.

Not at all. Unearthing it with an archaeologist gets you an artifact. Building over it does not.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  3. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

We're talking about placing a theater district, and then building an amphitheater, and then building a museum, and then building an archaeologist. That is not a negligible investment of time and resources for someone who simply wants build something where an antiquity site currently sits immune to any other means of utilization.

4. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Emperor

In Civ VI, you can only dig them up if you have a place to store them so there's no real point in selling them to the AI if you've gone to the trouble of building the theater district + archaeology museum + archaeologist.[/QUOTE]

Tangentially related: we gave an invading Tokimune a good hiding and he offered three Great Works for peace. We accepted and found only one actually was given to us, as we only had one space. Pretty sure the other two were just destroyed, unless he traded them away before we next opened a dialogue with him...

EDIT: oh hey mods I think I found a bug in the forum, it's tried to make a multi-quote but it's not working from where I'm looking

We built a Harbour and Great Lighthouse and Colossus and were about to start a Commercial District on the river mouth next to the Harbour when Niter appeared and said hahahaNO. Really annoying as we'd got a Campus and Holy Site down as well and it was all set up for perfect synergy. The interplay of resources and Districts can be really annoying and I can foresee some MP ragequits when some stuff you didn't even want trolls you.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2016
  5. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Now, in the case of niter, you can just harvest that, right?

6. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

If you play multiplayer or against a good AI in the future, you'll need that stuff anyway as a defense against cultural victory. I tend to neglect theatre districts, too, right now when I'm not going for a cultural victory against the AI. But I usually have at least one or two anyway - not in my core cities though.

7. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

You seem to only be able to build one Archaeologist per city

8. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Correct. That archaeologist exists only to fill the three slots in his museum. Once that happens, poof. No more archaeology for that city.

9. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Well, I don't know that I'll need museums specifically for defense against someone else' culture, but they are on the list of things to do once industrial zones are maxed out. Those museums exist so that someone who hasn't been generating artists can still have a foothold in that part of the game.

10. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

I'd wager I just popped at least 50 of these in one of my current games, in my territory or on my borders. Going to take forever to clean them up. Just started building my first museum.

edit: ... and... I just realized I'm going to need 20 museums. Jeez. On marathon. I have one theater district at the moment, just started my second.

Maybe its something with the Yeta map, cause averaging 3 per city is just too much.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  11. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Warlord

12. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

The sites are pretty annoying, though only a culture victory is going to research Natural History at all. But that doesn't change the fact it's potentially a bad thing to get this civic.

13. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Well, you need it for the modern amenity buildings, and it's on the path to the tier 3 governments (through Mass Media), so unless if your game is over early, you can't really avoid it.

I find the key is to make sure your lands are developed first, since they won't tend to spawn sites you already have farms on. And then most of the time I find there's only a handful of sites that are truly blocking ones for me, so you can probably get by with 1 museum to clear them out.

Zaarin likes this.
  14. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Oh right, that is a required tech. (damn outdated wikis) Well, the problem is if it blocks placement for wonders and late game resources too. Or sometimes seaside resorts.

15. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

The sites should generate culture at least (in their uncleared stage) if the only way to remove them is with archaeologists. Agree that it's annoying how they block progress--they really shouldn't.

Currently, one way to prevent them being annoying is to build up all the cities before researching the tech that reveals antiquity sites (this way, if you can't remove them, at least the underlying districts still function).

Zaarin likes this.
  16. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

Go to the enlightenment and nationalism first. The go to natural science. Your cities will be more advanced, districts placed, and, in some cases, the annoying antiquity sites even pop up on 3 tile feudal farms and/or improved mines (as they have nowhere else to generate).

17. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Or even if you had a like "you can clear this site at a cost of 50 culture points" or something like that. Wouldn't pay it all the time, but at least sometimes it'd be fine.

Morningcalm likes this.
  18. TomKQT

TomKQT Prince

Yep, it is completely realistic ;-)
    As others said, just make one archeologist to be able to remove the worst artifacts. It wont do you any great harm.

19. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

It can be annoying but no more than any irremovable resource in a location that you want to build on, only at least you can pop out a museum or the 3rd tier Government palace to get rid of them

20. narmox

narmox Emperor

They’re a nice source of +1 era score though...