1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Anarchist Here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Aleenik, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

Just curious. Wanting to figure out how many here hold the views of anarchism.

On a side note, I'm back.:) Since I've been gone my political views have definitely changed and I also became an open atheist, no longer hiding my true beliefs.:)

2. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

Yeah, civver_764 is.

3. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

There's also another kid with the anarchist symbol as his avatar.

Dunno his name though.

EDIT: Also, welcome back! :beer:

4. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

A newly converted anarchist atheist on the internet. How unusual. "Unusual" here having the meaning of "trite".

5. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

A new anarchist on the internet, almost as unusual as a new atheist on the internet

6. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

Actually I've been an atheist for years:), but I didn't tell most of my family about it till a few months ago.

As far as anarchism goes, I haven't done much research on it until recently. I am exploring the philosophy of anarchism, but I don't claim to be an anarchist currently. I would however like to talk to some advocaters of anarchism.

Also, there aren't many anarchist or atheist compared to other groups, so not sure what you mean.

7. civ_king

Just wanted to point that out

8. Dachs

Whatever. Still about as ubiquitous as McDonald's.

That said, civver is probably the most consistently available straight-up anarchist here, and he's not all that consistently available. None of the anarcho-capitalists (don't argue with me about whether x kind of anarchist is actually an anarchist, because I don't give a damn) is around for very long.
    Sure there are.

9. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

Thanks.:)

10. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

Well, thanks for the info on civver.:)

When I said that about anarchism and atheism, I meant they are outnumbered by many other groups. There are far more Christians than atheist for example.

Edit: Back and double posting already. Sorry.:)

11. Dachs

Everybody's got a victim complex. It's the internet.

12. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

? I'm just speaking facts. Athiest and anarchists are far outnumbered by many other groups. I'm not trying to make this out to be some kind of victim complex. It was a simple statement.

13. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

Not around here.

14. civ_king

Many people don't believe in God, but only a few will be upfront that they are atheist, exhibit a, England

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.

15. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

my freedom to swing my fist ends at your nose, not because we want or need a "limit" on freedom, but because assault violates the definition of freedom - the absence of coercion or constraint. Thats like arguing abolition limits the freedom to enslave others...

People were driving before traffic laws, and the laws merely reflect what were the unwritten rules of the road.

You're talking about public roads - owned by the public... If you own a road you can drive on it as you please.

freedom is the absence of constraints, how ironic...

16. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

I'm increasingly close to calling myself an anarchist, yeah. Not in the sense that I think we'll ever see the destruction of states or in that I throw bricks through Starbucks windows, but in the sense that my personal creed is "I will not be ruled". This started when I rejected religion back in late 2005. I adopted freethought a month later and have begun to detach myself from more and more mental fixations.

17. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

I was an anarchist of the Murray Rothbard variety once, although I wasn't really active on CivFanatics at the time. I now pretty much abandoned these beliefs, because as good as their principles may be, I definitely believe that it's better to search for good outcomes instead.

18. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Well that's one definition. I find "freedom from necessity" to be equally compelling.

19. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

thats the definition in the dictionary

freedom from necessity means what exactly?

20. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

And dictionaries can be surprisingly political :p

If you live in an economy in which everything is owned privately by someone, and you were born to parents who just sucked when it came to doing it right (let's say they chose tons of drugs). Now lets say in this society based on the absence of constraint (government playing nil a role, the private person having supreme power over his or her welfare) you have 3 choices: work 15 hours a day in a physically and emotionally exhuasting factory making not quite enough money for consistent food/shelter/clothes; starve; or violate others' freedoms. The third we can discount because we are trying to examine freedom, and that's clearly a loss. So it's down to two: starve or make your entire life devoted to repetitious suffocating survival.

But you have a choice! So it is freedom according to absence of constraint.

However you are not free from necessity. You are enslaved by your needs to survive. You lack education, you lack spare energy, you lack spare time, you lack the wealth to achieve them. You won't survive things that don't have to kill you.

Freedom from necessity requires one of two things: good luck, or an equitable distribution of that which we need. It is the tools to achieve freedom. There are different models, but one that I like is Aristotle's "Health, Wealth, Education, and Leisure".