Any cartographers out there?

JPetroski

Deity
SLeague Staff
Hey all,

I've started work on a project I've been meaning to do for about 10 years now and am pretty excited with much of the progress.

This scenario is called "Over the Reich" and is loosely based on those old Avalon Hill games... It depicts the battle between the 8th Air Force and the Luftwaffe, with the RAF day fighters present, but Bomber Command abstractly represented. Given that the AI air forces drove even Nemo to retirement, and I'm no Nemo, it's a multiplayer only scenario for ToT that will utilize two different maps: low altitude, and high altitude. I've attached the low alt map.

My major problem at this juncture is the map. I have created one using Harlan's Europe bitmap, and the mapedit software, but I'm not that great at making them at all, and they all look strange... I've attached it to this post...

Any chance anyone could help me either clean this up, or (if it is twisted beyond repair), help me create a new one showing the same areas that is more accurate? I know many of you are very serious about having accurate maps and I do think it would add to this scenario... I'm having special trouble figuring out where to place the cities:

Berlin
Cologne
Dusseldorf
Duisburg
Essen
Dortmund
Bremen
Hannover
Munich
Nuremburg
Kiel
Frankfurt-am-Main
Stuttgart
Dresden

Please note:

Forest = City areas basically... If you helped, "desert" would be a great city center marker.
Grassland = impassable terrain (to account for D-Day later in the scenario)
Glacier w/ ocean border = locations of airfields, turned to islands for now to get the trade boost
Mountains = hills & mountains

Any help would be greatly appreciated... In the meanwhile, I'll keep plugging away at the rules files, etc.

Attachments

• btr.rar
    4.2 KB · Views: 178
I once dreamed of a scenario along these lines, using ToT to created "targets" each turn, and
with non-land based unit lists for the Allies...(Until Torch 1942)...Your version sounds good!

Well - I will have a look through my archives, I have a good map in mind perhaps...

It depends how large you want the arena of action to be?

:)

I'm fine with the area of action and size of the map I've attached... I'd like a large area over each "target" because I will NOT make terrain stackable for this scenario... Fly in a good formation or lose more bombers as far as I'm concerned :)

I'm ok with the map as is, but I'm sure others won't be. It gets especially hairy around the Berlin/Leipzig/Dresden area and could use some help there.

Nothing wrong with the map, it just needs more terrains and a little more realism (and by that I don't mean realism > playability, we all know it's the other way around ;)). An example is the Rhine delta.

Nothing wrong with the map, it just needs more terrains and a little more realism (and by that I don't mean realism > playability, we all know it's the other way around ;)). An example is the Rhine delta.

The other terrains are going to be used for things like housing, industry, rubble, etc. So forests, hills, wooded hills, swamps, etc. are unfortunately out.

We won't need them ;)

Top Bottom