Any fans of Werner Herzog here?

DKatana10

Chieftain
Hey all,

I personally enjoy watching quirky, less-known films as they often offer different things than Hollywood blockbusters. One of my favourite directors is from Germany and is named Werner Herzog; he has directed movies for decades now, a few of which are outstanding with many more worth watching.

He also has a badass persona and has shrugged off being shot from afar during a BBC interview, deeming the bullet 'not significant'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylXqc8TQ15w - The interview from 2006.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX_n-4lGGkA - A characteristic poem reading by Herzog.

If you're new to his films you could watch his newer work...like Grizzly Man which is a fascinating documentary which looks at the relationship between a bear enthusiast and the dangerous bears he was so enthusiastic about - he and his girlfriend were killed and devoured by a bear in 2003.

Also there is Fitzcarraldo which is the first film I saw by Herzog...it's a story of a rich rubber baron's struggle to transport a ship over a South American mountain so he can begin to harvest more rubber for his business empire.

JtheJackal

Emperor
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans was very good. Aguirre, the Wrath of God is an absolute fantastic film. Really impressive work. Those are the only two of his films I have seen.

DKatana10

Chieftain
At the time I first saw Fitzcarraldo (about 2002) I couldn't help thinking of the 'rubber' resource tile from Civ3 !

Aguirre, the Wrath of God is Werner's best early work. Next to Downfall it's one of my favourite German-language films of all time. Klaus Kinski does make the film though...minus him it wouldn't quite be what it was.

Herzog isn't as respected today in Germany as he was back in the day. I guess part of the reason is his affinity with Los Angeles which means he's there a lot.

Shame since he's probably got another decade or more of filmmaking ahead of him there could easily be a classic or two yet from his quarter! Here's hoping.

Sofista

Deity
Herzog has never disappointed me. Well, "Even dwarfs..." did, but it happens.

Grizzly man and Fitzcarraldo are excellent starting points overall, but let's not forget that some of his output flirts with genre: horror (Nosferatu), adventure, war, even SF (The wild blue yonder). Such an abundance of variety!

Top Bottom