1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

any good places for discussing multiplayer strategy?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by pi-r8, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Indiansmoke

Indiansmoke Deity

It is not the best, but all I said is that if you ask questions there they will be answered.

It is difficult for people that don't play league games to understand what is being said there. there are some really good tips to be found from time to time but they are relative to specific game settings that if you never played you would not understand what they are talking about.

Some examples

http://league.civplayers.com/forum/index.php?topic=748.msg7405#msg7405
    This is about OCC reny games and it is a top guide

http://league.civplayers.com/forum/index.php?topic=696.0
    This is for CTON games...basic but it is a start

http://league.civplayers.com/forum/index.php?topic=801.0
    This could be usefull as you have to stack attack usually

http://league.civplayers.com/forum/index.php?topic=740.0
    startup for popular teamers setting

http://league.civplayers.com/forum/index.php?topic=831.0
    Nice video on how to fast move and use ctrl a

http://league.civplayers.com/forum/index.php?topic=2602.0
    some other basic stuff to get you started

2. Unconquered Sun

Unconquered Sun Emperor

There's nothing wrong with the quality of the threads there, but the quantity is lacking after so many years of CIV MP.

3. Krill

Krill Deity

Clans are jealous of their strategies when there is a very competitive clan tournament every 6 weeks; they don't post their best strategies for their opponents to use, for obvious reasons.

4. helemaalnicks

helemaalnicks Warlord

I play MP sometimes, unfortunately I never made it past the classic era :)D), except for when I was still a noble-SP-newb. Then I made it to rifling once.

I have a problem finding opponents, since my friends don't seem to understand the difference between SP and MP. They just keep spamming wonders...

When I made it to rifling, he was the first to attack me. He had rifles/cannons, I had cannons/cavs/engineering... guess who won that :D. Took me about 3 turns to take out 40 rifles and 10 cannons.

The other games, they spam wonders like GL, GLH, mids, and other expensive cr** like it. And of course, because it's usually 3-ish players, they also like oracle with a CS slingshot. Then at the time they get CS, I put 10 swords next to their city, and their lone warrior can't usually win that battle.

How is gamespy? I don't play online that often in general, because people tend to quit when they're losing, taking the balance out of the game. Is it fun? Is it playable, or lots of disconnects?

5. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

My only experience with MP is pitboss and using the words of other player: "Diplomacy is everything". If you can get a pack of 3/4 ( 5 top ) players cooperating, most likely you'll be able to use some very interesting tricks that can only pull if you trust your neighbour ( like letting one of the players REX to strike while the other garrisons the cities, making espionage rings ( I steal from A, that steals from B, that.... ), swapping cities to benefit from half priced buildings or wonder benefits ( Mids, S. Paya, pentagon..... ) ....

As you probably imagine this is light years away of the ruthless that I hear it happens in gamespy :p

6. pi-r8

pi-r8 Luddite

rolo- you can do that stuff in team games. But, it does help if you know the people you're playing with at least a little.

Anyway, what do you guys think are the best UUs for multiplayer? I'm starting to realize how some UUs that I never use in single player can be very good in multiplayer. For example the Holkan- one very common tactic is to rush someone with chariots and try to take out their copper source. With Hokans, you're immunite to that. Same with the Jaguar. And impis, if you get copper nearby, are just evil. The only things that can catch an impi are mounted units, which of course get destroyed by the impis. You can pillage someone mercilessly that way.

I've also had great success with the Hwacha, the ultimate counter to a big stack of axes. I've never had the chance to use cataphracts, but i'm thinking that they have the potential to end a game. Any 2 move unit is always helpful, so if you can survive to that point and build a nice force of them... hmm.

Perhaps the best strategy I can think of is to just focus entirely ln defense early on, so no one wants to attack you. Then when your neighbors are busy with wars, you can expand and tech, and try to get knights or macemen first, and then start rampaging and killing the tech leaders.

7. MadmanAtW

MadmanAtW Knight

Most of my games are multiplayer, with my two housemates. We tend to hope for maps where we're all on separate continents, so we can all develop for a while before we meet. We're not as bloodthirsty as we would be in a "real" MP game, because once one of us is eliminated it stops being a fun group activity, so we start a new game (leaving the previous one as a 2 player game for when the third person isn't around). We tend to play Large maps, 9-12 civs, so most of the SP tricks still work pretty well and AI diplomacy is still hugely important.

Now and then we start bigger MP games with a wider group of friends (we tried pit boss once but one player's computer crapped out and we never actually got it started) and in those I'm more cutthroat.

As a note, we do NOT play with simultaneous turns. Civ is not a RTS game, and in our opinion there should never be a circumstance where the winner of a battle is determined by who clicked on their unit first. (This also comes in because one of our players is visually impaired, so it's flat out unfair to make her work against a timer.) For a little while we set it up so that we had a "turn order" that we had to abide by if we were in conflict (so two civs who haven't met can take their turns at the same time, but if I'm at war with my neighbor we have a set order), but that got too stupid so we just turned off simultaneous turns and we just insist that people do as absolutely much management between turns as possible. Unfortunately it still means wars take a while for the other players.

So, long story short, I love Civ MP, but what I call Civ MP is not what pretty much anyone else uses the term to mean. :)