1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Any guess on what will happen to Erdo-Turkey now that it downed a russian plane?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Daw

Daw Emperor

Hmm... do you think cousins will suite them?

2. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Report from Sheikh-Maksud, district of Aleppo controlled by Kurdish militia.
    Islamists continue shelling the area, people demonstrate non-exploded missiles and mortar shells, presumably supplied from Turkey.

Link to video.

3. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

There was a bomb that went off in Nusaybin today on the Syrian border. Only 2 people were killed, both police. The authorities are saying it was PKK but no immediate claim of responsibility yet, or at least that I last heard.

Also Erdogan is really pissed off about the journalists being released who revealed the weapons being taken to Syria. The constitutional court I think it was let them go, can't remember the name of the court exactly and can't be bothered to look it up.

The Kurdish party in Turkey, HDP, is saying they're collecting evidence of the government killing civilians in Cizre and Sur in Diyarbakir. They've had heavy fighting in Diyarbakir and Cizre, although a friend of mine in Diyarbakir was saying in a lot of the city it's normal but in the Sur area it's really bad. The Sur district is historic and I wonder how much damage has been done to the old city walls and historic buildings.

And the leader of HDP, Selahattin Demirtas is saying there's an investigation against him because he was encouraging people to protest, perhaps among other things.

4. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

The largest newspaper in Turkey was shut down on Friday with big protests going on in Istanbul. Thousands of people were protesting and police were spraying tear gas at them. It's a major event, this news organization Cihan which produces Zaman was shut down. Anyone familiar with Turkish media knows them. It's a bit like if Obama shut down the New York Times although I'd say Zaman is perhaps more controversial being owned by Fethullah Gülen.

5. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Russian center for reconciliation of opposing sides reports that in total 30 rebel groups contacted the center and joined the reconciliation process. Rebel commanders reportedly asked government forces and Russian military for security guarantees against possible attacks from ISIS and other terrorist groups.

6. red_elk

red_elk Deity

7. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

That is great news if confirmed. Any chance of supporting the insurgency without blowing the insurgents up?

8. Daw

Daw Emperor

Bad timing :shake: By the time they can be helped they will all be dead, I fear.

9. red_elk

red_elk Deity

The news about uprising are based on local Syrian and Turkish sources. But it's hard to get reliable information from Raqqa.

It seems that after cease-fire, governmental forces now focusing more on operations against ISIS. There were reports about Russia bombing oil smuggling convoys in Palmyra region, and also about Syrian "Tiger forces" capturing vantage points around Palmyra city. "Tigers" are special forces of Syrian army, previously they were operating in Quweires area. If they were redeployed to Palmyra, it is strong indication that the next government advance will be in that area.

10. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Hey, maybe something, well at least "less bad", will actually emerges from this chaos.

11. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Mig-21 of Syrian air forces was shot down by rebels ground fire.

Link to video.

One pilot safely ejected, another died trying to land the aircraft.

12. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Kind of unexpected, but good news.
    Putin ordered withdrawal of Russian forces from Syria, starting tomorrow.
    With exception of existing air and naval bases.

13. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

It's very interesting really.

I suppose that either Assad's position has become much better, or continuing the operation was considered too expensive, or probably a mix of those two.

But it seems to show that Putin expects the cease fire to hold, and that negotiations will probably proceed well. Which is really good. :)

The Syrian regime is still insisting on keeping Assad, but that might just be their opening offer, perhaps.

14. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

"Keeping Assad" is proxy for saying "keeping the regime". Assad is a symbolic figurehead, he's not irreplaceable. Just like Mubarak was replaced with Sisi in Egypt...

The real issue is whether Syria can be rebuilt as a country, with a functioning government, or not. It may seem hopeless, but Lebanon just next door had its own sectarian war, also resulting from a mix of internal tensions and foreign meddling, and still managed to recover from it.

15. s0nny80y

s0nny80y King

http://www.breakingnews.com/i/DRz5

"Turkey's interior ministry says female Ankara bomber trained with Syrian Kurdish militant group YPG - Reuters"

I hope the world makes it to Rio before Venezuela collapses.

16. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Commentators here are saying Putin doesn't expect the ceasefire to hold at all. (And I think he's right if he doesn't.)

And that the West will beg him to return to the fray in exchange for... whatever he wants really. Possibly the easing of sanctions, or a new settlement in Ukraine maybe.

There was also that business of Assad claiming he'd reconquer the whole of Syria militarily (with the support of Russia tacitly understood). They say that this put Putin in a position he wasn't comfortable with.

Now, I don't say any of this is correct. Just that that's what I've heard people saying.

17. civman110

civman110 Immortal

Turkey is basically a Dictatorship now. They have jailed reporters and any political dissidents that speak poorly of, or mock Erdo, but this kind of behaviour is not new to Turkey, although it's gotten much more extreme with Erdo. It's still illegal in Turkey to acknowledge the Armenian genocide.

Turkey is actively wiping out the Kurds in Eastern Turkey and into Syria.

18. Takhisis

Takhisis brown-haired beauty

‘now’?

19. civman110

civman110 Immortal

Yes, everything except the Armenian stuff is recent.

20. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Not exactly. Main difference with the past is that now people are focusing on Turkey (the internet helps there as well).

Looking back, though, i do recall how just a few months before the Gezi park/revolts happened (and the rest), Turkey was for the first time on yahoo news pretty much on a daily basis. I wonder what r16 would make of this :D

Re the bomber: 'syrian-kurdish' relation, huh? Yes, never would have guessed such an estimate from controlled media. RIP to the victims, of course.