1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Any hope for a UU line for Malakim?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Lade, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Lade

Lade Prince

I know that Kael earlier stated they're probably not going to add any more UU's, but I'd just like to throw this idea out there

I think The Malakim should recieve camel UU's for both horsemen and Knights to go along with their current camel archers, and these units (along with not taking horses to build) would recieve small bonuses in desert (10% strength bonus for camelmen, 20% for camel archers, and 30% strength bonus for knights)

These would help the Malakim's already excellent desert ambushes, but would have no effect elsewhere

Then again, it would be probably take a while to get unit art for a small change. Might not be worth it. Of course, I just think that Camel Knights are fun, mainly from killing so many peasents in RtW with them

Trust me, I'm not going to be suprised if anyone or everyone thinks this idea is a waste of space

2. someone67

someone67 Warlord

I think so, too. And I also hope for the same happening with Ljosalfar and Svartalfar.

3. DarkxL0rd

DarkxL0rd Warlord

UU? does that mean upgraded unit? i've always wondered

4. Lade

Lade Prince

UU stand for Unique Unit

5. Tacgnol

Tacgnol Warlord

I know pretty much nothing whatsoever about graphics but couldn't you just like copy the person from the knight and the camel from the archer and paste them together or something?

6. Emptiness

Emptiness []

The Malakim do have a bonus on deserts, but it's not enough of a bonus to actually want to keep desert tiles around. You're better off giving up the meager bonus and using Water and/or Nature mana to convert the tiles to something more productive. Unless the Malakim desert bonus is increased I don't see much incentive to add more UUs to take advantage of (nearly) worthless tiles that should probably be gone by the time you could build the UUs.

7. Lade

Lade Prince

My original idea was 10% for camelmen, 30% for camel archer, and 50% for camel knights, but I toned it down a bit

8. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

I'm actually trying to do this for the Malakim+ FF mod.... I have a camel resource, only visible to Malakim and only found in deserts, as well as a camel knight unit... Just lacking a few variations on the unit. Sadly, I have no graphical ability whatsoever, or it would be done already. ;)

Back legs are a little funky, but it works.

9. Xenoborg

Xenoborg Chieftain

Don't they allready have this with their current mounted line? They get bonus for deserts for being Malakim and thier current mounted line have camels/zebras graphically.

10. Grand Seeker

Grand Seeker Warlord

This was not my ide, but somebody mentioned a flying carpet once as a UU.
    That would be a wonderfull :)

11. Psycho_Ivan

Psycho_Ivan Warlord

It seems reasonably silly to use camels for a knight unit.

12. Lade

Lade Prince

Why? They're my favorite unit when playing as the Sassinid Persians in RtW

Yes, but any unit gets a desert bonus, if we gave their calvary a even bigger bonus, it might actually pay to leave a desert a desert so you can effectivly use hit and run tactics to get huge bonuses, rather then just springing every tile

13. Lade

Lade Prince

Mmm... tests so far have given great results on arid maps...

14. Valkrionn

Thanks to The_Coyote, I now have enough camel units to replace the Malakim mounted line... Will be in the next release of my modmodmod. ;)

15. Lade

Lade Prince

Nice, your modmodmod looks cool, even though it does take away Varn's awesome traits

I've never played Fall further anyways, I can't even get over how much stuff original FFH has

16. Thunder_Gr

Thunder_Gr Emperor

I would say enchanting Varn's awesome traits. Merchant rocks!

17. Valkrionn

I'd love to take credit for the Merchant trait, but that's part of Deon's code. The camel units are finished now, btw.... Malakim mounted units have the option of horse or camel, assuming they have the required resources. The unit graphics change, unit bonuses change, may as well be two separate units. Works nicely. :D

18. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Man-at-Arms

IIRC you can't charge while riding a camel (if I don't remember correctly, it's just that a camel isn't as good at charging as a horse).

19. Lade

Lade Prince

But spiritual/aggresive is fun once you've used philosophical to get many AoLs, then you can start pumping out instant powerful crusaders, and if you've beelined this stuff you can be using these against axemen

Yes, they are slower, but they have a bonus in desert maing them better then normal cataphracts in some situations.

20. Thunder_Gr

Thunder_Gr Emperor

He is still adaptive. So, you can "adapt" him according to the situation.
    Merchant is more fun for me ;).