1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Any indication the AI will better use airforce in expansion?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by DrJambo, Jan 29, 2018.

1. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

The AI's use of airforce has been terrible since release and really hasn't improved much despite many patch notes indicating the contrary.

Initially they wouldn't even build them.
    Then a patch made the AI build a few but then didn't use them.
    Now they build a few and rumor is they occasionally use them; not that I've seen this

So... what's the deal? Are we hopeful an AI's airforce might become a credible threat late game? Will we see an AI jet on patrol, for example?

RDomico and ZubieMaster like this.
  2. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

No idea, but I was just wondering: are there any mods that improve the AI in this regard?
    Yesterday I had Scythia with the air force hidden agenda whining to me, until I build 1 fighter and she was all praise about my impressive air force...

3. Haig

Haig Deity

Someone wrote that there seems to be more ships in R&F streams, no mention of airplanes though what I've seen.

4. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

One patch had them use it. Then usuddenly they don't anymore.

5. ThunderLizard2

ThunderLizard2 Warlord

Is it worth spending more money on a game where the AI can't even use it's airforce? Civ IV AI was not great using airforce either but it at least tried.

6. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Well, with or without an air force the AI stinks at warfare. Wether or not that is a breaking point is for you to decide. If you looking for a war simulator then this is not the game, for now at least.

7. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

It doesn't look to bright for air warfare this expansion to me. I have a feeling next expansion they will concentrate more on the late game. My current game as America (Reagan) I have yet to build an Aerodrome. At a certain point, air warfare is useless. If you are going for any victory other than conquest why bother? Sure there are defensive reasons, but often I'm not close enough to my enemy this is necessary.

8. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

Thing is, if the AI used its airforce effectively, then building one yourself would be critical to ensure you can defend yourself and reach whatever victory condition you are pursuing. As it stands, I agree that you only need an airforce if you want to pursue some kind of late game military action.

Stilgar08 likes this.
  9. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

This was a rarity.

10. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

I build fighters to nixt late game barbs, and not a lot else. I attacked Nubia too, with her fighters circling over both cities I eventually took - they did nothing. Ho hum!

11. Whiterussian

Whiterussian Warlord

That was you?
    I heard there was apparantely that one guy on the internet that claimed he had seen the AI use a Airplane... Did not know that was actually true.

12. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

I was attacked by enemy AI using a jet bomber. Not sure if it was only me who reported it. Unfortunately, this one instance is not enough because that retaliation was too late. I already nuked the AI city.

13. kingofsealand

kingofsealand Warlord

I have seen nubia (she seems to always have airpower?) Position a fighter directly over a city I was bombing, and it did successfully intercept my next few runs. It was a regular fighter not a jet and i had stealth bombers so it nearly died from the multiple intercepts.

One issue is the AI only ever seems to constantly change the planes between different bases, rather than giving useful patrol orders. They need to be taught how to actually use the air functions, and plane intercept range possibly needs to be increased to help them compensate.

sonicmyst likes this.
  14. Zuizgond

Zuizgond Prince

Maybe in one or two expansions and 7-8 patches, AI may start building airforce. Using it efficiently will require another round of 7-8 patches. If it ever happens.

ZubieMaster likes this.
  15. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

AI seems hardcoded to move every unit every turn, often to their own detriment. Yesterday I was watching a city state I was suzerain of move a catapult out of the city centre into the middle of a dozen hostile Arabian forces...

16. RDomico

RDomico Chieftain

People are way more concerned about what civs are in the game. I really do don't care that much about that. I want an AI that uses it's air force. I realize that the AI will always have shortcomings, but I don't think expecting them to use an air force is too much to ask.

ZubieMaster and Zuizgond like this.
  17. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

ANd the AI did just fine with air units in Civ 5.

18. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

that's not an excuse, but it was after a lot of patches for civ5, and before that I had to code my own AI for air units in my WWII mod...

well, at least with civ5 I could code an air AI in Lua, we're missing critical function to do that on civ6 ATM.

19. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Prince

there are mods that withdraw the requirement of an aerodrome to build fighters,and they claim it helps the AI building some defending airforce

20. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

I bet it would. I personally think an Aerodome should behave as barracks. Maybe let cities base one fighter without one if you want to make it more important.