Any new approaches for Japan?

Hola folkz,

So, I'm going to end my Spain domination (the CIV I've been solely using for the past 2 months) and try my hand at Japan. I'll reload a few times until I get some fishing boats/atolls close by. Since I never play on sea resource-heavy starts, I'm a bit confused as to which opening strategies I'll choose.

So, given Japan's new UA, what approaches should I go if I want to focus on wonder building, turtling until Renaissance, AND getting an early religion?

Hola folkz,

So, I'm going to end my Spain domination (the CIV I've been solely using for the past 2 months) and try my hand at Japan. I'll reload a few times until I get some fishing boats/atolls close by. Since I never play on sea resource-heavy starts, I'm a bit confused as to which opening strategies I'll choose.

So, given Japan's new UA, what approaches should I go if I want to focus on wonder building, turtling until Renaissance, AND getting an early religion?
At least tell difficulty.

Ah, IMMORTAL/MARATHON. I plan on stealing a worker or 2 in the first 20-30 turns.

Which brings me to another question... why is it called ATOLLS on the patch notes/UA screen, but ISLES on the actual gameplay map????

Which brings me to another question... why is it called ATOLLS on the patch notes/UA screen, but ISLES on the actual gameplay map????
You know, this is the strangest thing. It said 'atolls' for ages in the World Builder (as long as I can remember); then one day suddenly it said 'Isles'. I thought 'must've been changed in a patch', proceeded to shrug my shoulders in a non-chalant way, and went on about my map-making. The new name made no difference to me because the graphic stayed the same, so I still couldn't use atolls/isles for e.g. the isles of the Denmark Strait. Then to my moderate surprise (let's not get carried away here; we need some amazement for the local politics after all! :D), one day not too far down the road it said 'Atolls' again. It might've changed one more time (can't remember), but now it's said 'Atolls' for a while. It's worth mentioning that I started making this map for over a year ago; because of this e.g. the City State names are all out of whack, so I think there might be some confusion about the island naming as well.

So, to sum up: less weed, more work, Firaxis. Or hey, if it aids the work... :mischief::smoke:

it isn't a big change of japan gameplay,so just go for conquest victory .the only change i think is important is that if you use samurai(that get obsolote too quickly)you can build sea improvements without wasting boats

First...click off legendary start so that you have a good shot at 4+ sea based resources. For what it's worth, I had one game with Spain on standard resources with about 10 sea resources (5 whales 4 fish 1 oil). Any way, atolls get you the quick +2, but they are rare to come across. Once you start your game with 5-8 Sea Resources, aim for pottery-writing-sailing. Get those boats up and running so that you can milk your culture.

it isn't a big change of japan gameplay,so just go for conquest victory .the only change i think is important is that if you use samurai(that get obsolote too quickly)you can build sea improvements without wasting boats

Keep in mind that Samurai now don't go obsolete until Riflemen.

Reloaded 10+ times to get an ocean start with more then 1 fish. When I finally got it I discovered that I had 3 CS along the coast claiming all the other fishes, whales and crabs forcing me to settle inland... so I quit. But I reckon they can be fun to play with on the right kind of map.

On my upcoming World Map (to be released before Christmas hopefully), there are 60+ Atolls in the Pacific Ocean... With 10 of them on the Japanese home islands. Not to mention the copious Fish resources all over. Do I plan to nerf the amount of Fish or Atolls to take away from Japan's new power? On the contrary; I might add a few for good measure! :lol: After long years of quiet, suffocating obsolescence, it is time to feel the Japanese superpower! Eat your fish, kiddies, and you will one day ride a mech... Err, Giant Death Robot, over huts of mud and bamboo! For the Emperor! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!! :nuke::cool::goodjob:

Samuries can turn into fishing boats with the latest update. Now, why someone with right mind would want to turn his/her samurai into a fishing boat is beyond me. I really don't get the point of this ability.

Samuries can turn into fishing boats with the latest update. Now, why someone with right mind would want to turn his/her samurai into a fishing boat is beyond me. I really don't get the point of this ability.

They dont turn in to fishing boats, they build them, in one turn.

They do not TURN into a fishing boat. They BUILD a fishing boat below them. Hence, a single samurai can build an infinite amount of fishing boats, saving you thousands of gold and production time. It comes in a bit late, but on the right coastal map, it's an awesome ability.

Which brings me to another point... I really like the idea of military civs being able to help build improvements. I believe ROME is the only other Civ that has a UU that can build a specific improvement. I think there should be more of this.

So... I think Japan is becoming my dream civ... but ONLY if they are on the right map.

I had to respawn a few times (which some people will say is 'cheating'), but if you found a capital next to an atoll and some sea luxuries, you'll be kicking cultural ass in no time flat. Every single atoll becomes valuable (my island has about 5), and you WANT to settle the fish luxes (especially when Samurai come in). Just make sure to get GOD OF THE SEA for the extra production bonus, and build THE GREAT LIGHTHOUSE for even more bad assery.

Oh I see. But in game, I used a samuri to build a fishing boat And that dude just disappeared.

So... I think Japan is becoming my dream civ... but ONLY if they are on the right map.

I had to respawn a few times (which some people will say is 'cheating'), but if you found a capital next to an atoll and some sea luxuries, you'll be kicking cultural ass in no time flat. Every single atoll becomes valuable (my island has about 5), and you WANT to settle the fish luxes (especially when Samurai come in). Just make sure to get GOD OF THE SEA for the extra production bonus, and build THE GREAT LIGHTHOUSE for even more bad assery.

Playing on Fractal would help :goodjob:

I recently won an autocratic CV with Japan, King, Island Map, with a little warmongering.
Plenty of fish and whales, and in the second island, two atolls. Lots of culture with the fishing boats.
By the Middle Ages, i started to work on a few Samurais, Frigats and Privateers. The Samurais built all the remaining fishing boat in the older cities and newer ones, while they travel to Zululand for war, saving me the cost of generate plenty of fishing boats. Pretty useful ability.

In the end, i dominated the World Congress, passed Autocracy as World Ideology and International Games. Hotels and a few GM with faith to finish the stronger cultural civs (Venice, Ottomans) gave me the CV in late Modern Era.

The culture generated from fishing boats on the correct map is great. Add Lighthouses and the pantheon that gives production to workboats, and you got an excelent start.

Top Bottom