Any new approaches for Japan?

Oh I see. But in game, I used a samuri to build a fishing boat And that dude just disappeared.

They're not supposed to. During the beta, they didn't, and devs said this was the intended behavior. I used a single samurai to rebuild whole bunches of fishing boats over the course of a deity culture win. If it's not working now, something broke.

Keep in mind that Samurai now don't go obsolete until Riflemen.

Yuppers. Been that way for awhile now. Still dunno if it's with building a samurai and then immediately upgrading them to muskets, post-gunpowner, though. Guess it's not that big of a deal if you have plenty of cash to spare.

Yuppers. Been that way for awhile now. Still dunno if it's with building a samurai and then immediately upgrading them to muskets, post-gunpowner, though. Guess it's not that big of a deal if you have plenty of cash to spare.

Nuke, I think he means that they upgrade to riflemen now instead of musketmen.

I think one consideration that should be made is the rest of your surrounding start and difficulty, because with certain starting locations, a counter-intuitive path (to the standard coastal) could yield better results.

For wonder building, for example, you'll want to target wonders that can support the playstyle but won't get snapped up automatically by the AI. If your difficulty is high enough, you may find that The Great Lighthouse is getting contested very early (depending on opponents) and may or may not be actually feasible, where going to Iron Working earlier for the Colossus not only gives you a wonder than can support your income/growth/tourism/religious spread, but also puts you right at the doorstep to Steel for getting early Samurai out. If you've got a cultural CS nearby, a nearby peaceful neighbor, or a mining/masonry resource heavy start, it might be worthwhile pushing this direction as an alternate if you find GL being contested heavily.

That one was specific to your civ/what you're looking to do with it. Otherwise, I'd go for the standard focuses on a coast-heavy start: Try for GL if you can get it, God of the Sea pantheon, and Harbors when possible. I really look for the latter two heavily with coastal starts, because it's actually pretty easy to get a food/gold rolling on the coast, but you'll starve on :c5production:s unless you get those two in place. Even with several fish and resources, you'll find it's slower and harder to push right into your coastal resources for supporting your civ until you get the buildings up that make them more useful, so you may want to focus on your inland resources (and early satellite cities) until you get your key buildings in place, then use the not-so-crappy-now-that-infrastructure-is-up sea resources to support a midgame boost.

Top Bottom