any new info on MAF crash?

DrwHem

Prince
Its been a few months since ive played Civ4. I had to stop because all the MAF crashes that would happen every 5 or so turn as soon as i hit modern age just became too much. Has anything been put forward to try to end this? other than not playing a realistic world? aka only 10-12 AI opponents. I like playing on the really big map sizes with up to 20 AI nations. its more realistic. There will never be only 10 major powers on earth lol

Its been a few months since ive played Civ4. I had to stop because all the MAF crashes that would happen every 5 or so turn as soon as i hit modern age just became too much. Has anything been put forward to try to end this? other than not playing a realistic world? aka only 10-12 AI opponents. I like playing on the really big map sizes with up to 20 AI nations. its more realistic. There will never be only 10 major powers on earth lol

Your problem is the size of the map. I also like gigantic worlds, but I like more finishing my games. When I started to play large or at max huge maps, my MAFs became very very rare. Other option is to put 20 or more civs in smaller maps, but prepare yourself for selfish leaders. :lol:

I've actually fixed that issue myself by adding the /3GB line to the end of my boot.ini. Of course I don't recommend this for those who aren't familiar with editing system files.
This trick works for XP only if you have at least 3gb of ram or more in your pc. I can't say the same for Vista users.

I've been reading various threads on these forums and seems that some unit models have really high poly counts (some over 20 000). I do not know if RoM has any of those graphics included but it's possible since I've merged lots of units from various mods. Basically all the industrial/modern era/future era units would have to be checked with some 3D model program and if some high poly units are found, then replace them with new graphics. Problem is that I do not have the program to do this and probably this task would take lots of time as well... so if anyone can help identifying the problematic unit graphics, that would ease my task and this could lead to more stable RoM version faster than I can do just alone.

I've actually fixed that issue myself by adding the /3GB line to the end of my boot.ini. Of course I don't recommend this for those who aren't familiar with editing system files.
This trick works for XP only if you have at least 3gb of ram or more in your pc. I can't say the same for Vista users.

I read somewhere the /3gb switch only works if you have 4gb total ram.

I can confirm the switch allows the extra civ pack to work on 32 bit home edition. but I haven't played passed the medieval era with it yet, I'm hopeing the turn times will be more tolerable later on though.

Yesterday evening went through all added nifs and checked polycounts from them with sceneviewer program. Found few units with 4000-6000 polys, most of them were planes. 2000 polys is usually the max you found from regular units, though units with people have 3 models in formation so those can be about total of 6000 polys unless you use single unit graphics option. Planes are usually always in single model formations. I'll try and see if I can replace few of those models with newer models with less polygons. Overally I think the MAF problem depends most about the sheer amount of different types of graphics visible at one time on your screen (units, buildings, improvements etc).

I'm running BtS on WinXP 32bit, playing with mod Rise of Mankind 2.5

I kept having memory allocation error every once a while, but it got worse: i played large size map, now I'm stuck in turn 367/790 and once i clicked anywhere, it shuts with memory allocation error, no matter what i do

reason: bad allocation

i tried this tip and didn't worked :(

btw my laptop spec
intel core2duo T7400 2.16 Ghz macbook, 2,96 Gb RAM, Intel GMA 950, Win XP Pro service pack 3 on bootcamp

thanks in advance

This is what helped me.

Right click My Computer then click on Properties.

Will bring up System Properties window, select Advanced tab.

1st section is Performance (you must be logged in as Administrator), click the Settings button.

1st tab is Visual Effects.

Default is, "Let Windows choose........my computer" ,
Instead select , "Adjust for best performance",
Or if you have some experience with Win XP , select "Custom".

After these changes select "Apply at bottom.

Seeing that you are using a Mac Laptop fbass, I would try the best performance selection 1st.
Reopen Advanced Tab, reselect Performance Setting button
Next click the center Tab "Advanced".

Under "Processor scheduling" and "Memory usage" sections, select "Programs"
(under memory usage if problem persists select "System cache")

Finally in last section under Virtual memory IF it does NOT have 2046MB as "Total paging file size for all drives:" click the change button and set Paging file size to 2046MB.

Once this is done select OK at bottom.

Win XP or any Win OS are memory hogs IF you let Windows handle your ram. Before I did these steps my older system a PIV 2.4 gig system with 1.5 gig of ddr 400 ram would get the "bad allocation" error msgs.

After wards I could play RoM without CTDs AS LONG AS I did NOT play the Mega Packs. Core RoM without REVMod played smooth with up to 20 AI. But with RoM 2.5 and up I had to play without BarbCiv and Start as Minor options as well.

I have since built a new comp with win XP Pro 64bit OS, Dual Core 2.8gig CPU and dual Bios Mobo with 8 gigs of DDR2 1066 ram and a Vid card, Sapphire HD 4650 with 512 ddr3 ram, and I don't have those old restrictions. But not everyone who plays RoM is gonna build a new computer either. ;)

JosEPh :)

i tried every single thing that you said but it didn't worked :(

thank you anyway, but i think i'm giving up with this mod.. someday i'll try again though

Sorry fbass. :(

RoM at is basic core (without all the REVDCM options) is still a great mod. Playing just the core with 7-10 AI on a large or huge map can be real fun and a challenge too.

I know everyone wants all the bells and whistles, but it's the basics that make the mod/game. RoM in my honest opinion does Not need the REVDCM options to be a Great mod.

Good Luck fbass.

JosEPh :)

I read somewhere the /3gb switch only works if you have 4gb total ram.

I can confirm the switch allows the extra civ pack to work on 32 bit home edition. but I haven't played passed the medieval era with it yet, I'm hopeing the turn times will be more tolerable later on though.

Not QUITE true. /3GB tomfoolery works with pretty much anything though it's not recommended for less than 2GB. Basically, in 32bit OS Windows XP/Vista, your computer has 4GB of addressable space no matter what (reduced by lots of things, including how much memory your videocard has, even nice ones that aren't integrated pieces of ****). That's what is causing the MAFs, default behavior is to reserve 2GB to system (which is probably much more than it'd ever need), and 2GB for program use (like Civ IV). /3GB alters this so that programs get 3GB and OS gets 1. If you have less than 4, this means more pagefile usage when programs run need more than what you have, and the MAF is the result of a memory leak, so eventually you'll get a MAF unless you quit out to the desktop every 5 minutes, if you play long enough. At least that's how I understand it.

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread too much, but I assume that switch does nothing with XP 64-bit? I've got a new 8GB system under XP64, and can't say I've noticed the turns are any faster or anything. Though I haven't had any MAF's period, just random crashes to desktop (mostly in the medieval and earlier ages, seems to cure itself later in game)

I too am now running XP 64 with 8GB of ddr2 1066 ram and I have no Mafs. I also have had No CTDs.

And what I detailed for fbass for a 32 bit XP I've also done for the XP Pro 64bit.

Might be overkill.

I'm also running a Sapphire HD4650 vid card with 512mb of DDR3 ram and the card most definitely helps.

JosEPh

I have never use any switch or tweeked boot.ini
I have 4gb installed and windows (vista 32) "see" 3gb. SP2 is installed. 4096-16gb Virtual memory
Low graphic
core quad, ATI 2900 512meg

BUT:
I get Memory allocation error when creating maps (large and over 10+ civ, ROM archipelago).

I can start and play with normal size ROM Archipelago map, with 8 civ. didn't get further than 520 AD. but will edit if something goes wrong later in game.
Multiplayer (3 human 5 IA).

I have never get MAF with ROM 2,62 without megapack. and could play on gigamtic map with all civ on (didn't do that long cause turn waiting are awfull) but played in multiplayer with gigantic map and 28 civ over several days.
The problem came after installing megapack. when I go back the 2,62 without it, everything is fine.

I have never use any switch or tweeked boot.ini
I have 4gb installed and windows (vista 32) "see" 3gb. SP1 is installed. 4096-16gb Virtual memory
Low graphic
core quad, ATI 2900 512meg

BUT:
I get Memory allocation error when creating maps (large and over 10+ civ, ROM archipelago).

I can start and play with normal size ROM Archipelago map, with 8 civ. didn't get further than 520 AD. but will edit if something goes wrong later in game.
Multiplayer (3 human 5 IA).

I have never get MAF with ROM 2,62 without megapack. and could play on gigamtic map with all civ on (didn't do that long cause turn waiting are awfull) but played in multiplayer with gigantic map and 28 civ over several days.
The problem came after installing megapack. when I go back the 2,62 without it, everything is fine.

Atm the only guaranteed way of getting no MAFs is to use minimum of 4Gb and a 64 bit Operating system - I have 8GB and win 7 x64 and I have never seen a MAF in this configuration even on the really large map sizes

I got the clue of all our problems !!!
Vista 32 !

I just install Windows 7 64bit. than civ BTS 3.17 and the MAsterpiece R.O.M megapack!

Than guess what ?

All is working!

Gigantic map Archipelago. 50 civ yes !!!! 50 civ !
Full graphic with resolution 1680*1050

I played only 1,5 hour but not error I could regenerate map as much as I liked to at start with an amazing speed (faster than original BTS on vista), I can open, close, open, close the world builder, I can get back to desktop (alt+tab) than start other prog, even iracing (for those who know what it is) and play or use other prog when civ is waiting for me to comeback. then witout quiting any prog I get back to civ and . . . IT'S STILL WORKING LIKE NEVER BEFOR !!!
ok the turns takes time with that map and so much civ, but it's working !

My config:
AB9 pro Abit
Quad 2,45 (don't remenber the exact name)
4gb corsair
Sapphyr 2900xt 512meg ram

Running Windows XP 64-bit WITH 4GB of ram and it is of no help still getting rid of MAT,windows ending the program, and CTD's so those of you that say 64-bit is the fix, WRONG

Since BTS is Large Address Aware it can use 4GB RAM on 64 bit systems, I suggest getting more RAM

Top Bottom