Any other beta tester making videos?

rastak

Emperor
Is Mad the only one? (Thanks Mad!). I'm assuming the NDA is allowing this so was curious if anyone else was going to show us some more gameplay.

They are all under NDA until monday so unless they have a special deal where they are allowed, you won't see it.

I'm also pretty sure that they aren't on NDA for longer and can't ever reveal themselves. Hell, MadDjinn never said himself (did he?) that he's a frankie, and as far as I know the devs actually gave him the permission to do the live streams themselves.

However, I gotta admit that MadDjinn, wether or not he is or isn't defeniately deserves to be Frankie, I mean that guy is.. like really.. really really good at Civ.... and I'm still on Warlord :(

Man, I wish I were one of those guys. Frankenstein test group rules :D

Those lucky jerks will probably be playing Civ6 in like 2015.

I'd love to be on that group. They are all expert players as far as I can tell. How about including some of us who aren't that great at the game (i.e. Warlord/Prince level) so that they get a balanced viewpoint of how it plays? At least I could see what I could do for a modding standpoint for them ;).

I'm pretty sure I'll bump down to King just to explore all the new features.

I'm also pretty sure that they aren't on NDA for longer and can't ever reveal themselves. Hell, MadDjinn never said himself (did he?) that he's a frankie, and as far as I know the devs actually gave him the permission to do the live streams themselves.

They're credited in the manual, so they're certainly allowed to identify themselves. I suspect many choose not to so they don't get bombarded with questions.

The rule regarding NDAs almost always is that you can discuss what's been revealed, but not what hasn't been and you can never discuss the development process (Sullla has an awesome article about his time in Civ4 that was really cool but, unfortunately, blatantly violated the NDA and got him into a bit of trouble). Since you can only talk about what's been revealed, I suspect many avoid talking about anything because, after all, you don't want to take the chance that you reveal something.

I suspect MadDjinn got special permission to do these walkthroughs slightly early. After all, we're at the point where the magazines have all done their previews and, technically, everything has been revealed for those who know how to find it (the pre-load of the game files). Others probably could do a live stream video, but, on the other hand, unless they already make videos like this (as MadDjinn does) they're probably not so likely to be bothered.

You want more gameplay? As much as I'm looking forward to BNW, I had to stop MadDjinn's video after about half an hour because I thought "This is ridiculous, I'll be playing this in a week." :lol:

You want more gameplay? As much as I'm looking forward to BNW, I had to stop MadDjinn's video after about half an hour because I thought "This is ridiculous, I'll be playing this in a week." :lol:

I have similar feelings, I liked MadDjinn's videos for the Scramble information and seeing some of the Shoshone and late game. However, for me watching someone else play is incredibly frusterating. No matter how good they are I just want to take control and try things. The video's sated my pre-release information thirst and now I am just waiting for the 9th.:woohoo: :run:

Agreed, the onyl reason why I bothered to watch his vids was because they would provide new information., and somebody who is way behind (on Warlord here) it's also bit envious to see somebody being so good. Like, I don't care I'll pick Cathedrals for rance I don't care!

Regarding beta-tester qualifications: I would think that they would prefer "expert" players, if for no other reason that these people have clearly demonstrated that they have the time and inclination to obsess day and night about Civ V...after all, that is how the probably got to be "experts." If you are going to risk your corporate secrets (for that is what they are in the end) you want people who are inclined to do your bidding, yet who have credentials and experience enough to tell you if you are going down the wrong path.

From what miniscule experience I have, I can tell you that beta-testing a product that is "not ready for prime time" or "not your cup of tea" is a real drag and takes a lot of willpower, resolve and loyalty to the people who entrusted you with the job. I'm convinced that not just anybody can be a beta tester.

Yeah, they should definitely NOT actually let me in. I usually dick around at the middle difficulties and am chronically unambitious in my Civ playing.

Still, it would be fun to have BNW right now.

Regarding beta-tester qualifications: I would think that they would prefer "expert" players, if for no other reason that these people have clearly demonstrated that they have the time and inclination to obsess day and night about Civ V...after all, that is how the probably got to be "experts." If you are going to risk your corporate secrets (for that is what they are in the end) you want people who are inclined to do your bidding, yet who have credentials and experience enough to tell you if you are going down the wrong path.

From what miniscule experience I have, I can tell you that beta-testing a product that is "not ready for prime time" or "not your cup of tea" is a real drag and takes a lot of willpower, resolve and loyalty to the people who entrusted you with the job. I'm convinced that not just anybody can be a beta tester.

I've obsessed day and night over Civ for 20 years, playing little else, modding the games - but I still represent the average player. Also, especially with my modding experience, I have plenty of solid ideas for them...

I've obsessed day and night over Civ for 20 years, playing little else, modding the games - but I still represent the average player. Also, especially with my modding experience, I have plenty of solid ideas for them...

Statistically, I doubt you "represent the average player" of Civ V, rather more of a 5-10% of us who are nuts about the game - heck, you sound like you are several percentage points higher on the "fanatic" scale than I am, which is saying something. :)

You might well be good beta tester material, however, if my original hypothesis holds true. :king:

My suspicion is that the "average" Civ V player bought the game in a retail store, does not use mods (let alone create them,) does not visit forums (or if he does, he lurks,) and probably actively plays several other games as well.

Just check the G&K manual ;).

I like how he doesnt reveal his name. Everyone else is Joe "Username" Blo, but he is just Maddjinn.

I'd love to be on that group. They are all expert players as far as I can tell. How about including some of us who aren't that great at the game (i.e. Warlord/Prince level) so that they get a balanced viewpoint of how it plays? At least I could see what I could do for a modding standpoint for them ;).

They arent looking for Immortal level players, so I'm afraid it will be some time before they look for Warlord level players.

Top Bottom