Any prospect of CFC including the following useful forum alert/tool?

Kyriakos

Creator
Saw it on the accursed Paradox forum, it is an alert message listing who - and where- has quoted your posts (and supposedly also replied to them there ;) ). I think it is easily the greatest new forum option i saw...

Not sure if it can be implemented here, but it may be worth looking into!

vBulletin plugins tend to cost money, but it does have what you're talking about:

Advanced User Tagging

Is Thunderfall et al opposed to donation drives for adding lifetime plugins to the forum? A lifetime subscription to Advanced User Tagging is $80 and has been getting consistently patched for over three years.

You could also get the Lite version for a reduced feature plugin. I don't believe the Lite version costs anything.

Considering how often some people get quoted and receive replies to their posts here, is it worth the aggravation? That sort of thing can get annoying, which is why I'm not going to take Gmail up on its offer to 'alert' me to when I get a new email. Since I get a few hundred every day from various sources, it would drive me nuts.

As long as the email notification system works, saying you've got replies to a thread you subscribed to, isn't that good enough for a start? At least that way you know the thread has progressed from where you last posted.

Mind you, it's nice on some sites to know I was quoted or replied to. But those tend to be smaller, more specialized forums that don't use vBulletin.

I've been on forums that had this feature, and found it by and large helpful. My general system is to not subscribe to a thread unless there's a particular reason I want to, since when I had a subscription to every thread by default, my subscription list quickly ballooned to an unreasonable amount of threads. But I'm generally more likely to care enough to reply in the future if someone did find my post interesting enough to quote it, so this strikes a nice middle ground. For the threads that I want to see every reply I'll subscribe, for other threads I'll only follow up if I navigate back manually or see a quote alert and go back after that.

I would support it being optional, as well as having a forum-only alert option. The forum I use the most with an equivalent system has notifications up in the top-right by your user name, near where the CFC private message alert is. I find that works well - easy to check, but not in-my-face if I'm just visiting to check/update a particular thread. I probably would find it not worth it if there weren't a way to disable email alerts - in that case I'd probably have to switch my CFC account email back to a throwaway one, which would be unfortunate.

Considering how often some people get quoted and receive replies to their posts here, is it worth the aggravation?

I could see it being highly useful for monitoring things that are not updated regularly, such as many mods with intermittent advancements or OT threads with occasional posts over the long term, like Ask a Theologian.

I could see it as highly annoying for heavy traffic areas, like many mods that attract a lot of regular attention or most OT threads.

If the system is granular enough to allow user specification or opt into specific threads then that would allow most of the advantages with few of the drawbacks.

Actually, if I could have a wish granted for alerting us to replies, it would be for the social groups. It's hard to keep the momentum going in conversations when people don't know when there have been any replies.

Actually, if I could have a wish granted for alerting us to replies, it would be for the social groups. It's hard to keep the momentum going in conversations when people don't know when there have been any replies.

Oh yeah, I forgot all about those. And a lack of alerts was definitely part of the reason.

Top Bottom