1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Any strats using wonders/ Is anybody building wonders?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bayard sartoris, Oct 30, 2016.

1. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

Wonders are really expensive, but I build them occassionally. The Ruhr valley and Pyramids can be pretty nice, the extra policy slots wonders can be extremely useful, and I'm guessing some of the late game ones can be good for culture if you have cities with the production to make them. The issue is just that they're so expensive, and there are so many things to build, if feels like I'll be so far behind by the time I get it done whenever I look at the production costs.

2. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Nomad of the time streams

I'm still playing on Settler just to play around with the new toys. I've been building a lot of wonders just for the fun of it. Haga Sophia is huge if you want a religion victory, although I wonder how easy it would be to get on a higher difficulty level. In my case it was still available late game so I snagged it.
    Most of them seem under-whelming though, especially since they take up a tile.

3. dwarfling

dwarfling Chieftain

For some reason I always seem to snag Ruhr Valley, Lighthouse and Coliseum (this one usually post-industrial age). If game goes for long enough then MaracanĂ¡ Stadium.

I think besides Stonehenge (and most of the times Hanging Gardens), the AI grabbing wonders goes entirely by chance. They do grab some of them more than others, mostly the ones without steep placement requirements.

4. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

Stonehenge is always gone ridiculously early, but other than that, I have seen no pattern as to what the AI builds.

Maybe it's just harder to see it though, given the available wonders in cities list is different each game anyway.

5. andymant

andymant Chieftain

I like a lot of the wonders. I find that the build queues are so much more forgiving in his game than in civ 5, so I often have time to go for wonders. Petra is nice for the cities with lots of conjoined deserts, to build mines and farms on. Stonehenge is a great one if you want a religion, but can be skipped; I made the mistake of not building it when I had a chance in my Spain game and even though I prioritized my holy site/buildings I didn't end up with a religion. Oracle can be exceptional for Kongo and Brazil, or high faith and wealth producing civs that can splurge on great people. Really the only wonders I don't like in the game are The Great Library, now the worst in the game imo, and Terracotta Army, which is so very meh. I always shoot for forbidden palace, I try for pyramids and/or Petra if applicable, and I love Colossus and the other one that gives a trade route, the name of which is escaping me right this second. I haven't built the rainforest wonder because either the civs beeline it or I end up clearing/building over most of my rainforest tiles to make it worthwhile. The Aztec lake one seems not particularly useful too.

Generally it comes down to this, the wonders are not game changingly incredible, but they are versatile and useful and since there aren't quite as many buildings to build in this game there is room to build them. So why not? Unless you just want to conquer everyone asap and therefore produce nothing but units, settlers, harbors and commercial hubs.

6. CoconutTank

CoconutTank Warlord Supporter

Like everyone else, I tend to rush for the bonus policy slot wonders as often as possible. I really like Alhambra and Forbidden Palace. Potala Palace is nice, but I prioritize the other two over it. I didnt scrutinize Big Ben enough, didn't know it adds a yellow slot!

Outside of those two, Pyramids are pretty good for any strategy I think. Coliseum is cool but I don't usually arrange my cities around it as well as I'd like. MaracanĂ£ Stadium is cool though.

I generally play a very warmongery game, so I really like Terracotta Army. A free promotion per unit is incredibly good, given how much better promotions are in Civ6 over Civ5.

I haven't pulled this off well yet, but I tend to get Great Lighthouse and Venetian Arsenal if the chance comes up and nobody else picks them up. Doing double production on speedy ships sounds like it would be fun.

7. Nefelia

Nefelia Prince

Stonehenge. Build a warrior and two builders for chopping and Stonehenge should be well within reach, assuming you have the available stone nearby. Easiest way to get religion in Emperor difficulty, since the Great Prophet Points can get rather intense.

Forbidden Palace and Rhur are attractive, and I go for them as well. All others are ignored unless I have a spare production city with nothing better to do.

8. NukeAJS

NukeAJS King

Venetian Arsenal FTW!

Seriously though, this wonder is even better than I thought when I read the description. I thought it would give me two ships for every one ship I built in the city that completed the wonder -- nope! It spawns TWO ships in EVERY CITY!!!

It's expensive when it first comes up, but if you get your factories running first and then build it -- it oughta be between 12-20 turns without the +% bonus, 10-16 with it.

9. teakbois

teakbois Prince

Wonders not so much use for science victory. Huge for culture and handy for domination.

There are a few fun ones, like the one that gives all your apostles the relic promotion.

10. CrimsonEdge

CrimsonEdge Warlord

The extra policy slots are killer. Big Ben is game breaking. All of the economic wonders are amazing. Most of the cultural wonders are for great person generation. The Pyramids are very strong. The Eiffel Tower is also very very strong.

In order to build wonders you'll need two big production cities, otherwise it's not worth your time.

I can not stress how broken Big Ben is if you plan for it properly.

11. Danzo_87

Danzo_87 Warlord

yup double your treasury on top of an extra economic policy slot is really nice

12. aimlessgun

aimlessgun King

Just finished my first game on Emp, can attest to Eiffel/Cristo being a great cultural victory combo. I had seaside resorts with 32 tourism at the end, I'm assuming from 8 x 2(Computers) x 2(Cristo). And apart from the quality, you can also get many more resort locations with Eiffel. And you get much easier National Park placement and better yield. And then as a fun bonus on top more housing from Neighborhoods.

Big Ben is a super interesting wonder. If you stack up enough gold it's basically 'free' in the sense you get so much gold back you can rush buy stuff equal to the production spent on BB. However the opportunity cost for saving up all that gold is quite high. So if someone bets you to it, that's a double kick in the nuts.

13. Esperr

Esperr King

I play deity, and the only wonder I get/go for is ruhr valley. The A.I's dont beeline for industrialization, and they have a low priority to build it, so its one of the few you can always get if you want it. Other then that the early wonders seem impossible to get/not worth it.

14. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I don't like the general mechanism of Big Ben. Doubling your treasure is just something that doesn't balance very well. I build it in my current game, and I had saved up 5000 gold by the time it finished (and I even went for it pretty early, because it got sniped from me by 5 turns in my previous game, damn you Gorgo!). So that's an extra 5000 gold on top of the economic policy slot, which is super powerful in itself.
    What? :eek: That sounds like a bug. I build it a couple of times late game, but didn't even notice because ... I don't build that many ships in those games.

15. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

stonehenge and pyramids are nice
    the worst is terracota army imho

16. CoconutTank

CoconutTank Warlord Supporter

It's not a bug (or at least I don't want it to be). You are now sea based Scythia! ;)

17. Guynemer

Guynemer King

Great Zimbabwe is spectacularly good.

18. bladex

bladex Emperor

have 50 units on the map and watch them all get a boost at once :cool:

19. esoba

esoba Warlord

Holy cow, how have I missed that?!

20. bladex

bladex Emperor

it's NO bug! also you have to build the ships doesn't work if you buy them :p