1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Any tech slingshots?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Lectere, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Lectere

Lectere Chieftain

Before Gods and Kings I often used the 'Civil Service Slingshot'. (Use the great lib to get Civil service very quickly)

But now the tech-tree is diferent, I was wondering if any of you guys found a nice tech-slingshot?

Only thing I came up with so far is to use the great lib to get Iron working.

But I'm very interested in good tech paths or slingshots!

Thnx! :king:

2. anandus

anandus Errorist

If we'll find a slingshot I hope they'll fix it in a patch asap.
    Slingshots really ruin the game, imho, especially in multiplayer.

Although I wouldn't call a free tech through the GL or Oxford a true slingshot.

3. headcase

headcase Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn

Well, there's a bit of a bee-line opportunity for industrialization I found, but not sure if that translates to a slingshot opportunity of any kind.

4. fenwayb

fenwayb Chieftain

Yeah, I think they've balanced the free tech builidings nicely in that they definitely give a boost, but they don't slingshot you.

5. Randall_Flagg

Randall_Flagg The Evil One

Yes I found one that works. *blush*

Pottery/Calender Build SH and profit.

I know chessy but it was going to be said at some point, better early then late!! :)

6. Andulias

Andulias A Stranger on a Train

It's not a sling-shot, it's beelining, and by no means unbalanced :p

7. Calouste

Calouste Deity

As headcase mentioned, there is a bit of a beeline through the Renaissance to Industrialization which is useful. An extra spy, increased city state bonusses, Coal, Factories, Big Ben and Gatling Guns all become available there.

For small empire cultural games there is a beeline to Radio that avoids all the military techs in the bottom of the tree, but still lets you pick up Crossbows and Alhambra for defence and has a one tech excursion to Industrialization for the benefits mentioned above.

8. flairin

flairin Prince

Yeah, I stumbled on that beeline to Radio by accident with the Celts ... to my surprise I was in Modern Era by turn 190!!

9. Lectere

Lectere Chieftain

So, first research Pottery/Calender, build an Stone Hedge, and then...? You get a little extra religion... :/

10. Lectere

Lectere Chieftain

I'm not very familiar with the term 'beeline'. Does that mean, just on the first turn select radio and sit it out? Modern era by 190, sounds good! :eek:

11. Montov

Montov King

Great Library to go for Iron Working is an option.

12. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

when using a "beeline" its better to LOOK at the techs along the route and ask if (automating workers rule applies here) - ask if this is the best route on the beeline, you can hold shift + click several techs ahead of yourself.

For example, there might be 2 prereq techs you need on the line - depending on whether either of these techs gives you something, research times etc - you can often do better than what is "offered" by clicking 4 techs ahead in the field.

13. Lectere

Lectere Chieftain

Ur using beeline to explain beeline, might be me, but I still don't get what a beeline means... :/ also checked the urban dict. no succes... :)

Thnx for trying thou :)

14. Alanology

Alanology Chieftain

15. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

In vanilla, great library to pop theology for hagia sofia with free great person. Use that great scientist and great scientist from liberty to profit. That is a "slingshot". Using great library to get extra food for which you likely don't yet have enough happiness is... well unless you're neighboring temujin or askia and need the pikes, or have no iron. It's still not a "slingshot".

edit: oh yeh, it was education after that for universities, porcelain and notre dame... to whatever rolled over the era for city state bonuses. I don't even remember anymore. Seems like forever ago now.

16. Veneke

Veneke King

According to the Civ 5 Acronyms and Terms (found here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=442106 ) 'beeline' means "[The] strategy of directing game play towards the earliest possible acquisition of a specific Technology."

That usually means Shift+Left click on the Technology you're beelining towards in the Tech Tree to identify the quickest path. As Thadian pointed out, however, the computer doesn't calculate (at least I'm pretty sure it doesn't calculate) which techs are more likely to boost your science output so the order in which they're researched becomes important.

This differs from a slingshot, which more accurately describes the Renaissance-Industrialization move. It's similar to a beeline but differs in that it usually revolves around the rapid acquisition of a number of Technologies/benefits in quick succession. A beeline is concerned with the speed of the acquisition over the course of the game, whereas a slingshot largely describes a very quick acquisition of a number of technologies by capitalizing on the benefits each previous technology brings.

Here's an example of a pre-G&K slingshot:

Build the Great Library to to grab Theology, build the Hagia Sophia while researching Civil Service, grab the Liberty GP (which usually popped around this time if you were careful with your timing), bulb Education with one of the GPs and Hurry Production with the other on the Porcelain Tower immediately thereafter, which left you in a very strong position tech wise.

In this example you'd have beelined to Writing, after which you'd have slingshot'd to Education. I think you then used to go along the top of the tree into Astronomy for the next-era bonus.

Edit: Bear in mind that these are just terms coined to describe different actions in Civ by the community. Plus, I think I was ninja'd...

@ OP: I haven't noticed any big ones, certainly none on the scale we saw in Vanilla anyway.

17. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

yeh, what he said. great library theology hagia sofia for engineer, liberty for scientist, tech civil service, bulb education, pop engineer for porcelain tower, spawns great scientist, use him to roll over era...

... pass go, collect stuff from city state buddies, especially siam.

Ramkhamhaeng has problems, too. He's just like you, except he's Ramkhamhaeng.

18. Lectere

Lectere Chieftain

To sum it up;

It means not just left clicking on a desired tech, but selecting ur path manually using shift clik. As result you get there quicker because you first select tech's that deliver science?

Right?

Thanks guys!

19. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

Mayan's can slingshot very quickly into the medieval period with their GP calendar bonus.

20. Calouste

Calouste Deity

OCC Culture Slingshot:
    Research: Pottery-> Writing
    Build: Monumennt-> Granary->Great Library
    Policies: Tradition-> Aristocracy-> Legalism

When the Great Library is done, pick Drama & Poetry as your tech and enjoy a free Amphitheatre in addition to your free Library. And you'll get your first Great Artist in 34 turns.