Any way of making AI breaking a defensive alliance?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Tergiversater, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Tergiversater

Tergiversater Chieftain

Portugal have just declared war on me.. I can spank them easily.

However, they have a DA with America.. who declare on me as soon as I attack Portugal back. I have gone to America (via cheaty reloading) the turn before Portugal attacks, but they are not interested in any bribe to start a war with Portugal.

Is there any way I can avoid this.. or am I going to have to start a war on 3 fronts?!

2. Puppeteer

Puppeteer Emperor

I don't think you could talk them into breaking the mutual defense pact. However, the pact is triggered when you attack in Portugal's territory. You can kill them off outside of their home turf all you want.

3. Tergiversater

Tergiversater Chieftain

Ah ok, I wanted to destroy them, but a defencive war it is, for now :)

4. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Emperor

You have to be at war with Portugal before you can bribe anyone into an alliance against them.

5. Everkane

Everkane Valar Morghulis

You don't need them to break the pact with Portugal, all you need is talk to America for a Mutual Protection Pact between you both.

They will have MPP with you and Portugal also, but as long is Portugal who is attacking you in your territory, America will be forced to declare war against them, it doesn't matter if they have their own MPP pact.

6. Babylon746

Babylon746 Warlord

Technically, you can make an alliance against another nation even if neither of you is at war with the 'target' - it just is prohibitively expensive, often to the point that you can't afford it.