Any way to change Launch Options in Steam to DX12 by default?

Oddible

signal / noise > 1
I know I can create an icon on my desktop that points to the DX12 exe but I don't use desktop icons, I always launch from Steam. I was hoping there would be a "Set Launch Options" string that would prevent the additional dialog from popping up to select which DX I want. Anyone know if there is one?

Sorry, I can't help you with your question, but I would appreciate it knowing how to create a desktop icon to launch the DX12 version (yes, my computer skills are meager). I prefer icons, but the only way I know to launch the DX12 version is through the Steam popup.

Create a shortcut to:

(wherever your steam library is)
\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI_DX12.exe

You can get to the '\Sid Meier's Civilization VI' folder by right clicking on it in Steam and selecting Properties then go to the 'Local Files' tab and select 'Browse Local Files'

Create a shortcut to:

(wherever your steam library is)
\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI_DX12.exe

You can get to the '\Sid Meier's Civilization VI' folder by right clicking on it in Steam and selecting Properties then go to the 'Local Files' tab and select 'Browse Local Files'

Actually, in this instance, that doesn't work. It will still load the DX11 version... the only way currently to get the DX12 version is from Steam.

Actually, in this instance, that doesn't work. It will still load the DX11 version... the only way currently to get the DX12 version is from Steam.
Yeah, making a shortcut doesn't work. I confirmed it by running Win 10's process monitor and it shows the dx11 exe running, when using the shortcut.

Thanks, I guess I'll continue to use Steam to open just this game; it's really not that hard. Though TBH, I haven't noticed any real difference in performance on my DX12 capable but middling laptop (sixth gen i5, 16 GB RAM, 960M), nor, apparently, have people with much better rigs. Actually,either in DX11 or 12, the game runs better than I expected even late game on huge maps (though with my preferred 6-7 AIs) on mainly high settings.

I have a question. So far I have been playing the vanilla Civ6 not the patched version. If I choose the patched version on Steam in the popup to see what it is like, will I still get the choice next time to go back to vanilla ? or will I be locked into the patched version once I have tried it ?

Are you sure you are not playing the patched version? Unless you have disabled auto update in Steam and only play in Offline mode, Steam would have automatically downloaded and installed the patch when you first started Steam after the patch was released.

In any event, once you install the patch, you cannot "roll back" to a prior version.

Top Bottom