1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Any way to give captured workers back?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Greyhawk1, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Greyhawk1

Greyhawk1 King

Hi, I was wondering if its possible to give back captured workers to one of the AI players? I've had a browse through the manual but cant seem to see the option. I'm playing vanilla Civ III v1.29f.

Reason I ask is that I need to bolster the English as much as possible so I can keep them as a buffer zone against the warmongering Russkies...In a pact with them and I keep recapturing their already captured workers ;)

2. vmxa

vmxa Deity

You should be able to send the slave to your capitol and then contact Liz and make a gift.

3. Greyhawk1

Greyhawk1 King

4. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Emperor

But don't forget that this counts as slave trade and has slightly adverse consequences for the AI's attitude towards you.

5. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

Slave trade has an effect on attitude? I'd never heard that. Think I could trouble you to educate me a little or point me to an article on those effects, Lord Emsworth?

6. darski

darski Regent in Training

I agree that I did not know about this before :eek:

Is this a two way street? do they hate you for buying their workers?

7. Puppeteer

Puppeteer Emperor

AI Attitude Study from the War Academy:
    Although it's not clear to me if this includes selling or giving them their own captured worker back to them. It's also not clear if buying workers from them affects attitude.

8. Aabraxan

Thanks, Puppeteer. I guess I'll have to go back and read that one more closely again.

9. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

It is worth reading, Aabraxan. Does explain why I tend to have problems with the AI. The worker issue is a bit strange, and might take additional looking at, and not sure at all what effect it has with respect to the Aztecs. I have had them demand workers from me as part of a peace settlement. Since this article was written for Play the World, I am assuming that it still applies, but someone might want to check it out again.

10. Gosnork

Gosnork Warlord

Any Civ can ask for workers in a trade if you have workers in your capital, not just the Aztecs.

11. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

Buying workers does NOT affect AI attitude. At least, I've bought slaves in plenty of games and still had plenty of tribes at gracious level.

12. Greyhawk1

Greyhawk1 King

I tried this but when it said to give the worker it said "Worker (Babylon)" (my civ) in the info box not the civ I was repatriating the worker to? May be a display issue...dunno.

All the civs bar England were annoyed or cautious with me from then on...but I dont know if that was something else I did inadvertently or selling workers to be honest.

I just finished the game with a potential HoF entry! 1968 space race win on a huge map on Warlord. Unfortunately I get an error when I try to submit :( boo...

13. Aabraxan

I'll give it a read. Frankly, I've grown so accustomed to them being furious with me that I probably don't pay as much attention to attitude as I should. Besides, I don't think I've ever sold one of my workers to the AI. I've bought plenty, but not sold.

14. darski

Why? Is there some other setting besides Furious? Imagine that! :mischief:

:lol::lol::lol:

15. Aabraxan

Of course there are other settings. There's also Cautious and Annoyed, but those never last very long. :lol:

16. darski

The other day, I had just had enough of that snot-faced little brat Empress Wu* and I just decided that she would indeed pay for her insolence. Losing half a dozen cities didn't teach you to respect your elders??? Try a dozen and then we'll talk.

I think she was saved by the bell as those Chinese cities put me at domination. Just maybe they should watch their attitude towards us:p

Yes I realize it is just words typed into a textfile -- at that point I had just had enough of her and her warring ways.

*Empress Wu is my replacement LH for China.

17. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Hmmm, every once in a while I manage a Polite, but normally early and only at first contact, then they get mad. Except for India, normally they start at annoyed and it rapidly goes down hill from there.

However, the article does explain to me why everyone is furious with me in one of my test games. I used a tactical nuke missile and an ICBM to see what the effects were, and now everyone is really unhappy with me. Since I have already won the game on Victory Points, I am simply running it for more testing. Slowly grinding the Aztec down.

Darski,sometimes it is hard to remember that it is not a human player on the other end. I find the AI infuriating at times too, but my major AI annoyance is Gandhi. The Aztecs are simply my favorites to test units with. Gandhi furious with me is really an irritant.

18. Spoonwood

Usually I have almost everyone at Polite or Gracious. I actually felt disappointed in a "Regent" level XOTM when I had 5+ tribes at Gracious and 2 at Polite.

19. Spoonwood

Timerover,

*NEVER* forget the nature of your opponent.

20. darski

This is all in good fun. I have had Civs at gracious and polite. In my current game, the Koreans think I am the cat's meow because I gifted them up a few techs (AA :eek: ) and bought them into the war with the Iros... and kept the Iros so busy that they could not defend that measly city they build in 'Korean' land.

It can be done... just not for the whole game :lol: