any way to remove the robot?

How could you possibly hate the robot?

It's weak when on defensive, costs 1 Uranium, and takes very long to build. How anyone can suggest it's OP is mind boggling to me.

The robot is great. I mean after all that hassle of managing stuff right to the end of the tech tree, I want *cruise control* at the end of the game as I sip tea watching it own everying in sight.

Alas in my last game, my mere modern armor hammered the last AI before I'd even finished it...how rude!

Ridiculous?

It was a suggestion from these boards right here

Actually it was more like trolling/black humour. The person who posted the "suggestion" often made ridiculous claims and had funny ideas. I didn`t look too far into it but he made guides on how to win the game which were actually hugely misleading. And that they were on purpose. Would you really believe i were not joking if i told you that the best strategy in CiV is to build all buildings in cities and always puppet captured cities?

So this was more like a joke. Now, the CiV devs thought they would give us a little easter egg. Namely, the giant death robot that this guy was ranting on about. GDR was supposed to be the secret unit (as 2KGreg later told us after the game released) but for god (I`m an atheist) knows what reason they made it not so secret.

The GDR seems like another example of the game developers mindset in making Civ V. "Hey, let's make something streamlined and dumbed-down and has an X-Box like feel. Who cares what the old hard-core Civ veterans might think, because the younger crowd will love it."

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind the GDR at all if it was a game option that you could click on or off. But the fact that it is hard coded into the game seems wrong.

Yeah the joke is on us.

I wouldn't mind if they replace the GDR with a fortress tank, like the ones, Ishtar tanks, in the anime "Venus War". Can't find a pic though but it's the same as a Warhammer 40k tanks but a bit bigger.

Spoiler :

While we are at it, is there any way to remove the Space Race victory because there is no space ship that travels to other planets.
Oh and we need to remove the conquest victory, because no one has ever conquered the whole world.
This game is totally not historically accurate.
I want my money back.

Are you serious? I have not played a whole game through yet. No space ship, how cheesy!

If you look in the mod browser, you would see that there's already a mod available to remove the robot.

Not that it's necessary... I've never played a game yet where a robot was fielded.

This. Following the branch of the tech-tree leading to GDR means you'll be missing better stuff on other branches. Unless I was specifically trying to get the GDR, I can't imagine getting to the point where I would even be able to build it. And assuming I do, I probably have 4-6 uranium available, so I could build 4-6 max. Except that it's so expensive that chances are someone will have won a space victory before I finish building the first one.

Why is this really such a big deal?

While we are at it, is there any way to remove the Space Race victory because there is no space ship that travels to other planets.
Oh and we need to remove the conquest victory, because no one has ever conquered the whole world.

Any let's remove the culture victory, since I don't recall seeing the Utopia Project in the real world. The diplomatic victory (a rich country bribes the leaders of every other country to accept their hegemony) is the only one that's actually realistic.

Yeah the joke is on us.

I wouldn't mind if they replace the GDR with a fortress tank, like the ones, Ishtar tanks, in the anime "Venus War". Can't find a pic though but it's the same as a Warhammer 40k tanks but a bit bigger.

Spoiler :

Ugh, that tank is awful, straight out of Soviet naval warship design school...

Yo, people, don't hate the haters of the robots.
It just doesn't feel right for some people, me included.
And they can be pretty cheap to buy with big ben and some social policies, so its not a joke.

I'm happy that I can mod it away, but this should really be an option in the advanced settings.

I fielded this thing once. Granted I had already won a diplomatic victory but I played ahead anyway. Duel map, me as Egypt against Arabia. I built just one, and it single-handedly smashed through all seven or eight of Arabia's cities, one each turn, without stopping. By the time I was done it was only half-way through its hit points. Seriously it can knock a city down from full hit points to zero in one shot (unless it has walls/castle, maybe). And this includes the fact that it has a penalty for attacking cities.

So if you had just a few of them, it would rampage a whole continent in no time. If the game truly mattered at that point, whoever could get them and build them before anyone else would own in a huge way. Strength of 150 is almost double the modern armor.

I fielded this thing once. Granted I had already won a diplomatic victory but I played ahead anyway. Duel map, me as Egypt against Arabia. I built just one, and it single-handedly smashed through all seven or eight of Arabia's cities, one each turn, without stopping. By the time I was done it was only half-way through its hit points. Seriously it can knock a city down from full hit points to zero in one shot (unless it has walls/castle, maybe). And this includes the fact that it has a penalty for attacking cities.

So if you had just a few of them, it would rampage a whole continent in no time. If the game truly mattered at that point, whoever could get them and build them before anyone else would own in a huge way. Strength of 150 is almost double the modern armor.

so i guess to tie this into a response to adam_grif's long post, it's not for balance at all. it's for something that's just fun to play around with. the future tanks, planes, etc would be just as nice and hopefully will be put into the game eventually somehow, but the robots are there for fun. if you don't like them, don't use them. like, i don't really like machine guns in civ4, so i don't use them.

A-freaking-men. If they wanted to make things ridiculous, why not a tech that lets your tanks and mec infantry transform into heroic autobots? :rolleyes:

That would be a massively righteous paragon of awesome surrounded by angels singing a chorus of pure win. :goodjob:

If my tanks could do that, I might go back to playing Civ 5 again! :lol:

I think they should mod out spaceships to other solar systems. Now THAT's ridiculous.

I really don't see the problem and I would love Civ to continue on with mroe advanced units. i get bored with the modern era, I think its ugly, polluted and not as cool as historical or futuristic periods.

The GDR seems like another example of the game developers mindset in making Civ V. "Hey, let's make something streamlined and dumbed-down and has an X-Box like feel. Who cares what the old hard-core Civ veterans might think, because the younger crowd will love it."

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind the GDR at all if it was a game option that you could click on or off. But the fact that it is hard coded into the game seems wrong.
Actually the majority of "old hard-core Civ veterans" pleased with this game. You are in minority, so don't try to act like you represent "old timers". This game has only two downsides - AI and poor diplomacy options.

I really don't see the problem and I would love Civ to continue on with mroe advanced units. i get bored with the modern era, I think its ugly, polluted and not as cool as historical or futuristic periods.

Agreed, some variety in Future units would be nice. After all this is the Future Era, so why complain about realism?? Some people just need an excuse to whine about something I guess.

Essentially, the only thing keeping them balanced are other late game victory conditions (space ships, diplomacy).

Although I wonder, how much would they be balanced in pure late domination only game (other victories turned off). 150 strength means it can pretty much kill everything exempt other bots without loss of any HP. I mean, difference between bot and mech. infantry, for example, is bigger then difference between riflemen and swordsmen.

This game is totally not historically accurate.
I want my money back.

Those are game ending achievements for that very reason... no one has done it before. Building a GDR does not end the game. Though some would argue that once someone has built it, that they win due to easy conquest, this argument fails because to complete a domination victory.... you have to complete a domination victory. :lol: This is why the GDR is ridiculous.

Additionally, I have seen games with GDR's roaming around. This happens often while selecting a non-ancient starting era. (Though the computer has a tendency to transport them over water while your ships are around, making it kind of anti-climatic when you defeat them with a nameless destroyer :crazyeye:)

Finally, while using the logic of "its so late in the tech tree anyway, so GDR is fine, blah blah blah" then the natural counter is "then why include them anyway!" The logic is circular, of which is enough to invalidate the original premise.

Oh, and anyone who says Civ isn't trying to mimic history is fooling themselves. A brief check of the in-game civipedia contains verbose historical background for almost everything in the game. It's really is just a silly argument to say otherwise. ;)

Top Bottom