1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Any way to turn off espionage/spies?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Bakaroyna, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Bakaroyna

Bakaroyna Chieftain

Hi,

I'm kind of a newbie at 'modifying' the game as I usually just play standard games. Lately I've started getting annoyed with enemy spies, as they constantly destroy improvements around my cities (my computer really is too slow to handle this game on a big map with many civs, and therefore the message about the destroyed improvement doesn't always show it seems). This gets real tiresome, as I feel i have to check around the map to see if all my resources are still connected every turn.

I haven't seen any way to do this in custom games, is it possible to do it thorugh xml or something?

And I know I could go back to playing Vanilla Civ4, but I really like BtS. Except for the annoying spies :)

2. Murky

Murky Deity

When you customize the setup of your game, there is a No Espionage check box.

3. nbcman

nbcman King

When starting a 'Custom Game' select the 'No Espionage' option in BTS.

edit: xpost with Murky.

4. Bakaroyna

Bakaroyna Chieftain

Wow, can't believe I missed that!

Thanks guys :)

5. Bakaroyna

Bakaroyna Chieftain

Seems I got a little ahead of myself.. Do you guys mean the place where you can choose 'One city challenge' and 'No random events' etc? Because there isn't a 'No espionage' option there as far as I can see :(

6. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

You need to be fully patched to 3.17 in order for that option to appear in the custom games settings. You need the 3.17 patch.

7. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

Still, selecting no espionage breaks culture; all espionage is converted to culture, and i hear that researching Communism still gives you a great spy.

Besides, i like espionage.

8. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

Me too. In my last game, I took some time out of research to fund a lot of EP and focussed it on my tech racing neighbor. I then spammed spies and used them to pillage all the towns in her bureaucracy running civ ;)

That was crippling. Killed my Friendly relations though ;)