Anybody Else Like the Score Victory?

InsidiousMage

Emperor
So, I've recently tried a couple of games with some leaders that don't have any victory type they are particularly good at (Dido, Poundmaker) and set the turns limit to 285 (which is about where my game normally end anyway) and it was a really nice way to play the game. Instead of hyper focusing on a specific adjective you just play the game where it takes you, even if you have some kind of objective in mind. It was a really refreshing to not have to worry about min/max towards an end goal and, honestly, might become my preferred way to play game.

Hmm. Might be worth trying next time I play.

I don't even know how to change the number of turns, but I agree, not having to do the tedious work of grinding out a science, culture or religious victory sounds nice.

Basically how I have always played, though I don’t reduce the number of turns from epic 750 (with mods to extend the eras.)

Before the implementation of the era score mechanic, I pitched something to that idea as a victory condition. Players would accumulate score in different areas of development, so diversification was the goal rather than spam- to-win. It's a race to trigger the condition, rather than running out the clock and counting the score.

Before the implementation of the era score mechanic, I pitched something to that idea as a victory condition. Players would accumulate score in different areas of development, so diversification was the goal rather than spam- to-win. It's a race to trigger the condition, rather than running out the clock and counting the score.
This was one of Humankind's better ideas, though the implementation was direly lacking.

Grinding out a time victory can be difficult because of the other victory types that other AI might usually end up in, but I guess if you lower the turn levels it could be interesting to see what happens particularly when you want to have a score higher than Augustus Caesar's and in the more difficult level as possible. :)

This was one of Humankind's better ideas, though the implementation was direly lacking.

This is basically how Old World's ambition victory works, you complete a variety of goals and win once you've finished ten. They vary a lot - like controlling four cities in the early to have a certain amount of improvements to building a specific wonder to conquering some number of cities. Its one of thing that pushed me towards this in Civ6 because its more about just playing well and seeing where the game takes you rather than hyper focusing on a specific part of the game.

Sounds like a quite relaxing way to play. Good for these lazy summer days, or alternatively - if you're snowed-in.

I always have Score Victory turned on, and always lower the number of turns to somewhere in the 200-300 range. Whoever set the default to 500 turns had clearly never played a game of Civ 6.

I like Old World’s victory conditions. I really hope Firaxis spend some time rethinking victory conditions of Civ 7. The endgame shouldn’t feel like a chore, nor like you are just waiting for a number to increase to an arbitrary value.

Whoever set the default to 500 turns

Try 1500 turns in marathon. Only a masochist could play that many turns. :) I love marathon, but no way in hell am I playing that many turns. It's pretty rare for me to even go above 1000 turns, and that's only when I'm running up the score.

So, I've recently tried a couple of games with some leaders that don't have any victory type they are particularly good at (Dido, Poundmaker) and set the turns limit to 285 (which is about where my game normally end anyway) and it was a really nice way to play the game. Instead of hyper focusing on a specific adjective you just play the game where it takes you, even if you have some kind of objective in mind. It was a really refreshing to not have to worry about min/max towards an end goal and, honestly, might become my preferred way to play game.
I like the concept, but not the implementation.

Not sure if it's possible to change the scores through xml (I assume/hope it's just a matter of changing values in a table somewhere, but I never checked). If so I'll change them for the purpose of playing Score Victory ONLY games, as I've gotten tired of the uber focus on a given pathway.

I wouldn't be upset if Civ 7 completely changed their approach in regards to victories. Make Civs more likely to gain score through certain actions, basically as they work atm, but not force it down a path, which is what it traditionally occurs in Civ games.

I like score victory, and I think that, ideally, the other victory conditions would be folded into it: Winning the space race would net you a sizeable number of points, you'd get a bonus for each original capital you controlled, etc

+1 to this. Make it also that score victory can be achieved two ways: either having the most score at the end turn, or reaching certain score treshold which might increase with turns passed. Then compute the score points sources and make it a science/religion/... victory if >x% points were given by a single source, or a generic score victory if the sources are mixed.

Of course your best options at reaching the set tresholds would be to get some of the other victory achievements (being nominated Leader at World Congress, capturing capitals, landing your spaceship in an exo-planet, etc.)

Reactions: j51
20-ish turns from finishing another game with Brazil and I'm now absolutely convinced this is, at least, the funnest way to play the game. Its is so, so much more enjoyable to play as you want to or to where you think the game is pushing you towards than play as you have to get a specific victory. I think the only change I'd make personally is set the turn limit to 300 turns so I can hit some really late game stuff.

I like score victory, and I think that, ideally, the other victory conditions would be folded into it: Winning the space race would net you a sizeable number of points, you'd get a bonus for each original capital you controlled, etc
Things that contribute to era score contributes to your overall score. Here is the breakdown from the wiki.
  • Civics
    • 3 points for each civic researched.
  • Empire
    • 5 points for each city owned.
    • 2 points for each district owned (4 points if it is a unique district).
    • 1 point for each building (including the Palace).
    • 1 point for each Citizen in the player's empire.
  • Great People
  • Religion
    • 10 points for founding a religion.
    • 2 points for each foreign city following the player's religion.
  • Technology
    • 2 points for each technology researched.
  • Wonders
    • 15 points for each wonder owned.
  • Era Score

Last edited:
So. . . if you accidentally turn off all victory types and hit the turn limit you lose the game.:sad:

Also, after getting a religious victory for the achievement, I'm only doing score victories going forward. Just a so much more enjoyable way of playing and experiencing the game.

I found out this was an option one time when I hit the turn limit with nobody having won any other way. I do think it would make sense for this to be the default, with the other "victory types" being ways to get a victory from way behind in score (but maybe also harder to get to? IDK).

popping in to say, i just started up a cree game after seeing this thread, turn limit of i think 330 on standard speed, and in the first handful of turns im already feeling much more free in the way i play the game. im not optimizing for settling this city first to get some early science, or that one first to build a certain victory-specific wonder early, i just gotta build my cities satisfyingly and, with the difficulty i play on (prince), im essentially ensured a win. i think this will be my default for playing as a good number of civs/leaders that have kinda spread out bonuses like muhtesem suleiman and hojo, as well as a backup for civs that i usually wanna go diplo victory for, like hungary and rough rider teddy. this has super boosted my motivation to actually play with some civs that i usually think of as more like "ugh, i dont really wanna put in the work to convert these bonuses into a win condition", thank you very much for this thread OP ^_^

Top Bottom