Anybody playing with CS turned off?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by AxelRhodd, Apr 12, 2011.

1. AxelRhodd

AxelRhodd Warlord

Hey.
    Recently I started playing with city states set to none. I normally play on tiny or small maps so lack of city states allows me to include 2-3 extra civs into my games without causing too much congestion on the map.

So my observations:
    - I dont miss city states at all - sure this makes bunch of SP and diplo victory obsolete but this does not affect my style of play
    - I actually have more fun now - CS are little more that giant expensive farms or monuments and an unecessary detraction from the core game

Please share your experiences and opinions on CS free gameplay.
    Also, do you ppl think city states as they are now are OK or could their role/function be improved?

Cheers

2. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

All depends on which Victory Condition(s) i plan for...
    goes like this;
    1- No Ruins
    2- No Barbarians
    3- Timer Meter
    4- Disable Start Bias
    5- No CS
    6- 1 CS per majors + ONE more
    7- Or anything else if i *feel* like it.
    8- Whatever other mods i intend to test for LeoPaRd.
    9- Back to Modding.
    10- Loop back to #1 as often as necessary or until stopped on my tracks by CFC forums for some little or much "activities".

I'd multiply them if i could.

3. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

The AI has run a couple of close games by doing an end run around CS. Alexander is always a threat, but I've seen Bismarck with with a diplomatic victory 10 votes to my 9. Both cases were continents games (my preferred set-up) and the AI was on the other continent.

I think removing it will make the game a lot easier, especially continents games where the AI on the other continent can develop unmolested for a longer period of time.

The thing with CS victory is you can't switch it on at the last minute. The costs associated with it especially if you have a well funded AI competitor is high.

It's one of those victory conditions that you have to plan for and cultivate from at least the mid-game when most of the world is explored and contacts made.

Trying to stop an AI from winning a diplomatic victory has been one of the more interesting challenges of Civ5, and certainly far more interesting now that 80% of the work is between the Civ and the CS and not the old Civ4 model of hoping the AI liked you enough or was a vassal of yours so they had to vote for you.

4. wcbarney

wcbarney Know-it-all

CS allies are essential to my style of play; I usually end up being allied with every CS on the map. I like getting the extra food from the maritimes, the extra luxuries & strategic resources from all CS, and especially all the extra science beakers. Plus, whenever I am at war, the enemy civ spends 90% of its time & resources attacking my CS allies rather than me.:p

5. Randall_Flagg

Randall_Flagg The Evil One

Remove them, no, but I do always drop down the number. I place one per civ on the board. They have way to many per map imho. If i decide to do a crowded map, which are great fun, then I limit CS to 6. They are part of the game, to remove them totaly is hurting the AI far more then it helps me. Lets face it, the AI needs all the help it can get.

6. I_qua_I

I_qua_I Prince

I used to drop the number down to roughly 1/2 of the civs that would be in the game. I then started playing with no city-states to make the game run faster on my computer and noticed that I didn't miss them either (not that I was ever too fond of them anyway.) Now playing without city-states is more like my default option.

7. Save_Ferris

Save_Ferris Admiring Myself

Depends- I don't like CSs if I'm going military or science, but you need them for culture or diplo.

8. Flyer20

Flyer20 Chieftain

I also always drop it down at least a few and sometimes play with none. I usually drop the AI down a few also though. I like a little room in the begining to expand and grow before the battles start.

9. tortugapir8

tortugapir8 Chieftain

Playing completely without CS breaks some fundamental balance with certain SPs and leaders so no. But I do turn down the #; having fewer CSs makes them feel more valuable and generally makes for more interesting interaction between them and other players.

10. SRG

SRG Warlord

Frequently I do turn them all the way down to 0. I then add as many regular AI civs as I can. I think this results in a somewhat different game, and I often enjoy it.

The biggest reasons I started doing this were:
    A) I do not like the Diplo victory much, and
    B) I enjoy settling small islands far across the ocean, and usually by the time I'd get there the CS would have all the good stuff.

11. bronzeager

bronzeager Chieftain

This. I'm always tempted to turn off diplo victory, but then the game would just be too easy. I also like having buffer city states to protect my lands. Worst thing about CSes: killing even one makes every hate you for the rest of the game. :(

12. Colonel Bogey

Colonel Bogey Chieftain

From a military point of view city states are useful when invading another continent with strong civs there. You conquer the cs and get a footing in the region where you can launch a ground assault and have somewhere to base your stealths. ;)

I do tend to turn them down to half the amount of the default though.

13. CYZ

CYZ Toileteer

I find the CS can really help diplomacy, as they are often in between me and other Civs. Since Im' a mostly peacefull player this really helps the diplo.

Also, they make great bufferstates in a war. Some of my wars were fought 75% in CS territory.

Nonetheless, I do usually half their number, and on maps like archi or small continents I will limit them even further.

However, I love playing random maps on random size and even with a random leader. And sadly, there is no way to control it then. Doesn't bother me much either way though.

14. TPQ

TPQ Cogito Ergo Civ

I find the game more enjoyable with fewer City States now. I used to put all 28 in, but I usually play with 14 on large and huge maps where I'm also playing with 19 civs including the civ I pick for myself.

Playing with them off completely just removes extra flavour from the game imo.