Anybody waiting for Civ V patches might want to take a look at BioShock 2

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by EmpireOfCats, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Thry

Thry Warlord

:facepalm:

Moderator Action: If this is the only thing you have to say in response to a post, please don't respond at all, thanks. :)
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

2. smitbr

smitbr Chieftain

I definately recommend reading the thread on 2k games. It lets us know us poor civ fans arent the only people pissed off at the moment. And to wake up to the fact that 2k are more than happy to lie and deceive its customers with beta stage games all the way to the bank and not a step further. id like to hope things will turn out better since we have firaxis to look out for us, but then again that means Jon Shafer too

3. CyberTyrant

CyberTyrant Emperor

2K is slowly turning into EA.

4. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

The problem really for us is, things aren't much better when Firaxis was with infrogrames.

If anyone recall the Civ3 launch issues, PTW being basically just a mod pack with a MP patch for the the vanilla game, and C3C patching being dropped even before Firaxis could do a finalized patch for it. Hence it ended with 1.22 without the 'f'

Ironically 2K's handling of Civ(4) probably has been the best since Microprose owned it. But we Civ fans have had to endure the franchise being handled from publisher to publisher for so long.

It's a testament to the franchise and its fans that Civilization is still here.

5. Tatran

Tatran Deity

No surprise, civ5 was in development.

6. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

The fact that any consumer would trust 2K Games in this day and age is surprising to me.

Even without the patching problems and PC issues, BioShock 2 wasn't worth the plastic it was sold on. :(

7. Luft46

Luft46 Chieftain

The quote below is from the comments on the Kataku site:

8. Nog

Nog Warlord

They have a skeleton crew at best left on this game. Probably 1 or 2 people who will try and fix absolute game-breaking bugs and nothing more.

They made their money - no monthly fees like an MMO means they can't afford to keep people staffed on this game for free.

The resources are likely working on an expansion which will also not be supported - but as long as they can get your $$$ up front, you can deal with it later ;)

Just go read the threads about what they did for BS2 and you'll know why a less popular/mainstream title like Civ 5 won't see squat.

But I'm guessing most of you already realize this, but just can't come to terms with wanting to believe it.

9. JoxerNL

JoxerNL Warlord

Well first of all Bioshock is a internally 2k developed title, actually from the division that used to be "irrational games" to be precise.

Where as Civ V is developed by Firaxis and 2k is merely the publisher.
    This means that Firaxis as a company has more resources available form the get go as they are their own company, and dont have to follow the publishers choices, the publisher just publishes, which they have done since most of us have the game.

Im abit at a loss why the Civ V forums are the 2k forums though since imho those are quite draconic and i personally do not agree with their modus opperandi of deleting any good negative constructive feedback.

I dont see a reason to be concerned about the Bioshock 2 statement made by 2k, it's their own in-house made game, Civ V is Firaxis's baby.

10. zionprophecy

zionprophecy Chieftain

i was afraid to post on the bioshock 2 forums, but one trend i've noticed is the explosion of pirated expansions online. How easy it is to aquire them, and make them work. The amount of tutorials and videos showing you how to is crazy.
    My point is with a multi platform game, the DLC for the consoles are as far as i know impossible to pirate, but the PC DLC you can wait a week and voila you have it. Thats a lot of money wasted for the company. Not sure how much, or if it even matters to them, but i wanted to see what you guys think of that

11. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

PC only right now. The console version is coming. We all know it.

2K Games' service has been sub par to put it nicely. Extremely low expectations for them.

12. Krall

Krall Warlord

At the moment it is, but as mentioned in other threads Civ V's gameplay and interface clearly lends itself to being a console game. Maybe not now, but certainly in the furture it has the ability to transistion itselft to other platforms.

What's really ashame of what PC gaming has become is no matter how many complaint threads you see for a particular game, no matter how many red flags you may already know about a game before purchase, or that ceratin companies promise X but deliver X - we still buy these games and their enevitable expansions/DLC.

It seems like PC gaming is heading down the path of goverment regulation for better or worse.

13. Venger

Venger Give it a tumble, sport

Inside tip - sun rising tomorrow. Bank on it.

14. Sadan01

Sadan01 Conical Flask

Infogrames = Atari. Well, fake-Atari. Self explanatory as to why C3/PTW/C3C were ordinary when it came to post-release support. People, STOP buying anything published by "Atari". You then have no excuse to whinge and complain when they don't support you and their games are ridden with bugs with no patches in sight. They've done this for years. :hammer:

Venger is probably talking about the forthcoming Mac-release of Civ V.
    Assumption: I'm sure a console version will be released soon enough :lol:

15. Nog

Nog Warlord

I just checked weather.com.

Storms and clouds all day. Omen?

16. Geddy

Geddy Warlord

This sort of thing will only stop when a game developer is taken to court and looses. Of course they could mitigate this by not employing people little older than school children to design their games.

17. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

That is pretty scary stuff. :eek:

18. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

2K and Take-2 and everyone that works there is garbage.. and they spew it all over the place. Disgusting individuals.

19. Sadan01

Sadan01 Conical Flask

Yeah it's a real pity that the EULA doesn't work in reverse. Publishers are quick to bring up the EULA in litigation but the consumer doesn't really have much protection. Try proving in court that the publisher was negligent when they released game "ABC" and it had some bugs.

But then again, if someone successfully challenged a publisher in court, then the entire game as we know it changes. It could end up worse for the consumer.

20. Carver

Carver King

This forum, like almost all forums, is full of personal views: CiV is awesome! CiV sucks!

Moderator Action: *snip* no insults here.