1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Addicted?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Macintosh' started by Zaimejs, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Chieftain

Okay, so it's sluggish and it plays oddly, but is anyone else up until 3 a.m. playing this game? Or am I the only one?

Huh?

2. Zarathustra I

Zarathustra I Chieftain

4:15am last night, or was it this morning? :crazyeye:

3. ejday

ejday Chieftain

Even on my hand-cranked PB, it's addictive.

4. AlexandrNyetski

AlexandrNyetski Chieftain

Addicted!

I am definitely reminding myself to turn it off, and do other things, such as spend time with my wife ...

5. gfeier

gfeier Chieftain

I'm enjoying it immensly on my "unsupported" MacBook. Just wait until I get my Mac Pro! :D :D :D

6. Beamup

Beamup Higgs boson

I'm hoping to actually get my first real, serious game going tonight - so far I've spent far more time testing sound and OS version issues than actually playing!

7. thegreatluke

thegreatluke Chieftain

I'm addicted, but the game is very freeze-happy for me. In that it freezes completely, making me restart the computer. This makes it almost impossible to finish a game.

When the patch comes out, I bet I'll be addicted. Civ IV is some hard stuff, man.

8. dwiese

dwiese Chieftain

Addicted? Heh. :D I can barely function this morning after one-more-turning myself until about 5 AM.

BTW game runs fine on the nVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 even though it is unsupported. A few small animation quirks and the same sound bugs many are reporting. No crashes yet (crossing fingers).

9. choleric

choleric Chieftain

Ive been playing Marathon games on large maps and I cannot get myself to turn it off since the day I got it. Thankfully I dont have any performance issues other than no battle sounds.

10. Beamup

Beamup Higgs boson

Currently, I'm merrily orchestrating a tripleteam on Izzy. She founded HinJewism, you see - and I founded Buddism. So, I'm dumping some missionaries into Cathy and George's territories, ensuring that she'll hate their guts as much as she hates mine right now. I sense a :hammer: in her future...

FYI, the basic point of this post is "yes."

11. civn

civn Chieftain

You'll soon found the light. :lol: muhahahahahaha

12. Beamup

Beamup Higgs boson

LOL. I get to pick "My spouse plays Civ with me. Commence your jealous rage." Or at least, she likes to watch... which is just as good. :D

13. lateralis

lateralis Chieftain

I'm pretty sure this falls into the "brute force == supported" category. ;)

I know i'd expect a $1500 video card to play a 3d game fairly well. mind if I ask what you do that you need a card like that? I considered getting one for the 3D work I do (carrara) but $1500 is a LOT to spend on just the video card, not to mention the quad G5 I would get to go with it ;)

I guess I'll have to settle for my dual 2.5 with 6800 ultra.

and I'm still deciding whether the clock display is a good thing or not. every time I look up it's 2 hours later. still haven't messed with the alarm yet.

14. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Chieftain

The clock is a great feature. That way I can say "I'll quit at 1 a.m." and when I look up and it's already 1:30, I say "I'll just play until 2." Fantastic!

15. Skippy_Kangaroo

Skippy_Kangaroo Prince of Denmark

I'm appreciating the windowed mode. Not only does it prevent Kernel Panics but you have your standard menubar visible. So I can see the time, CPU temperature (78C constant), memory usage (surprisingly little), CPU load (200%). The CPU info is especially helpful to remind me I'm playing an advanced game if I somehow go deaf to the roar of my fans.

The little clock in Civ IV just doesn't cut it for me. I'm more inclined to look up there and say - Wow, 1864 already! I better invade someone!

16. The WAB

The WAB Chieftain

Altough I'm really pissed at Aspyr for releasing a game thats so buggy i must admit been playing for hours but it might be because the game gets so slow after AD 1800. What pisses me of the most is that Civ 4 would be such a fantastic game if it would run smooth.

The 3D approach of Civ4 is amazing. The screenshots really don't show you how amazing Civ 4 works with globeview and zooming in and hearing the city coming closer and all that stuff

All this would be so amazing if it didn't stutter that much. Patch please!

17. Rance Mohammitz

Rance Mohammitz Chieftain

I had the worst case of just another turn last night. My eyes were starting to droop around 1.30am. Then I just wanted to get the last few buildings done. And then a great engineer pops up, so I wait a few turns before I use him to rush sistine chapel. Then a great artist pops up, and I send him over to my new city which is right on the edge of the Mongol border, for a huge culture boost. Then my head bounces off the keyboard and I look at the clock and its 3.30am. Bed time me thinks.

18. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Chieftain

So I'm just trying my best to conquer the world here. I have found that Panzers are the most worthless units on the map. They consistently get beat man to man against riflemen. Even when the odds say over 90% in my favor... they get beat up so bad.

Is this a glitch or just a slam against Germany?

19. Skippy_Kangaroo

Skippy_Kangaroo Prince of Denmark

Well, I haven't played with Panzers yet, but I really liked tanks in the most recent game I had - bit of collateral damage, blitz, high strength, what's not to like? So I can't see why Panzers would be worse.

(Interface aside - is there any other way than option clicking to get the combat odds? I find my self option clicking all over the place during a move before finally attacking and it gets tedious.)

20. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Chieftain

Right click.