1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else carry a grudge against AI opponent into next game?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Jacozilla, May 24, 2013.

1. Jacozilla

Jacozilla Warlord

Am I the only one that plays a solo game vs various AI opponents, have one of them backstab you or just behave obnoxiously enough that you now carry a grudge against that AI civ into the next or all future games? :p

Had Theo and Dido betray me and/or just be so obnoxious in one of my games that in the next (and all future) games I consciously decided to annihilate them first soon as I see their civ is in my random pool.

Technically each "re-roll" of an AI civ should be a fresh new start, but being a human being, I can't quite turn that caveman part of me off and I nurse a grudge against those civs. I suspect I will run out of "friendly" civs eventually ;)

2. Heerlo

Heerlo Jedi Master Hearlo

I try not to hold a grudge for things civs did in another game, but I know who have often been my worst enemies(*cough*Elizabeth.....Suleiman*cough).

3. beestbijnacht

beestbijnacht Chieftain

Yeah, whenever I meet Ramkhamhaeng I just get a bad feeling. For some reason we just never have good luck with each other. He seems to be awfully fond of settling right next to my capital and telling me off when i do it back.

4. PreLynMax

PreLynMax Your Lord and Master

Not necessary. I'm more cautious than normal against that particular AI civ in the next game, but only if they are shown to be a repeated offender am I permeently hostile to him/or her either through warmongering (i.e., Alexander, Napoleon), or being a chronic REXer (Hiawatha, Wu Zetian), or having a rude attitude (I'm talking to you, Elizabeth!), but other than that, my attitude towards a specific AI civ does not carry into the next game.

5. Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom Chieftain

Goddamn Siam has always been a grudge of mine.

On the other side, I always have a good opinion about Hiawatha, Catherine, and Washington. Those guys have never betrayed me and I've had my skin saved by them in more than one occasion already.

6. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

The only leader I really hate is Elizabeth. This is because she usually makes for a pretty feeble opponent but that doesn't stop her from pausing the game every freaking turn to tell me how terrible I am.

7. pedropavani

pedropavani Warlord

It don't matters which strategy game I'm playing... If France is in, France is down. Not that I have anything against the frenchman... but on strategy games it seems that France always mess up my plans.
    It all started back in the 90's on a Civ II game in which they decided to attack on the worst time possible. Before I noticed they were always messing up with me, too early raids on Age of Empires, and all the annoying-ness they can do on CIV. Actually I had some Ethiopian and Japanese games pretty much destroyed because of France.

They have yet to do memorable damage against me on Civ 5... and I have yet to not dow on them as soon as I find them.

8. kkapalk

kkapalk Warlord

Yeah, I hold grudges. I usually start against four or five civs and for some reason when I meet Greece they have zoomed ahead on most counts. Alexander hurls insults at me, starts wars etc. Sometimes he gets so powerful I just retire and start again. I re-start playing against just Greece and annihilate him. :) I have stumbled across him again in my current game and he is ahead again, and he is insulting me again. :eek:The good thing is I have Sweden between us, and I am now pegging Alexander back on all scores. Can't wait to give him plenty of my Artillery shells free and gratis! Civ 5 seems able to make us think of the different AI as real individuals (to an extent), which is an achievement in my book. How many times do we meet someone and issue a loud groan?

9. Jacozilla

Jacozilla Warlord

My favorite-disliked insult is from chatty Dido who seems to always chime in a lot to hurl insults my way. Something to effect of "ah, my favorite city state. It's a surprise how your people can stand being so unhappy"

Lol. I wonder if city states consider being called a city state an insult.

I nuke Dido now every chance I get.

10. Evie94

Evie94 Warlord

Catherine and Theodora are my honeys, always my best friends on the map. Washington, Kamehameha and Rammy must just be jealous

11. NuOmicronMu

NuOmicronMu Chieftain

I hate it when I get a game with Maria around. Until recently, she never really bothered me, until one game where she successfully built just about every wonder that I was going for, settled a ridiculous number of cities, and gobbled up all of my friendly neighbours.

Since then, she popped up in another couple of games and became a huge runaway in each. Now I try to exterminate her, or just reroll if she's too far away.

12. Brimstone

Brimstone Chieftain

Catherine, Hiawatha, and Napoleon. If I run in to them, I change strategy and move to destroy them. I can't wait for Shaka to come around, I still hate him from Civ III.

13. bdporter

bdporter Emperor

Yep, I pretty much had to destroy him in every Civ 4 game I played.

14. docbud

docbud Emperor

Maria ticked me off several games ago, so in the following games I made sure she would be in the games. And I made sure to kick the crap out of her.

Suleiman is usually good to me, but there was one game where he was a giant runaway. And those elephants are powerful. He attacked with a half-dozen of them, and I was hitting them with artillery, bombers, and GW infantry, and they still kept coming.

I hate it when Liz is in the game, as she is always hostile and insulting. Same thing with Alex. Dido will always back stab me, and Theodora is always begging for my resources.

15. Loucypher

Loucypher King

Suleiman has elephants? I know his Jannisaries are strong, but I wouldn't call those elephants...
    That said, I hate Suleiman as well. He'll always act like a nice jolly guy, but he will ALWAYS end up warring with me. And I ALWAYS end up destroying him despite his preference for military techs up until rifling.

16. pilot00

pilot00 King

The list is too large to count :D

I have seen both their good and bad sides so I am not particularly predisposed.
    I know that 90% of the time Alex will try to wipe me out (good call on making this difficult to your country men Bro :lol:), that Suleiman will DoW me with a huge carpet of doom even if we have the best relations etc etc.
    But I try to give them a chance. But that b#$#$# Eliz, she wont shut up will she?Only when Attila is knocking at the gates of London will she be polite.

Stern allies I had in many games include: Hiawatha: We had partitioned Alexs holdings
    and I had him as a buffer in my eternal war against Attila in a game for example.

Boudicca:Keeping Monti on his island while I was teching with Babylon like mad.

And not so surprising in that game Wu: She had been gobbled up by Rome and seeing as Augustus had tried three failed attacks against me, I decided to impose a strict dead zone between us: I gone in and liberated Wus cities one by one. Made that one a beautiful diplo victory :D

17. docbud

docbud Emperor

Ooops--you're right. It was Siam.

But I also hate Suleiman.

18. Sabrina

Sabrina Warlord

It may be just bad luck, but it doesn't matter which leader I chose, Siam ALWAYS backstabs me, so yes, I hold a grudge.

19. civ54lyfe

civ54lyfe Prince

Haven't ever come across Siam backstabbing specifically (at least no more than an average AI), but, Siam is one of those horrible uber-massive-ICSing AI's that will be on my target list immediately if I see him.

20. Sabrina

Sabrina Warlord

And yes, I would rather having both Attila and Montezuma as neighbors than Siam.