Anyone else did this?

stoferb

Prince
Often if I wanted to play civ in a different way I did this. It only works on a small maps. Instead of settling within the first few turns I wandered around getting huts until 1 AD. You have to save before you open huts in case they are an advanced tribe that gives you a city, but otherwise I didn't do any save-reloads.

Strangely it often isn't that hard and you might not be that far down the list even though you only have one city. And the reason is that before you settle your first city it seems huts cannot give barbarians. In fact I never saw a barbarian wandering around either so perhaps barbs can only spawn once all civs have settled. Another thing is that you can often demand tech and money from the other civs you meet. So I was often quite rich, advanced and with lot's of units when I finally settled.

The only downside is that getting all those techs from huts, extortion and trades means that once you settle down it will take ages before you research your first techs. And ofcourse all the early wonders are gone. It does give the AI some real advantage. This kind of game was the only time I lost a nuclear war.

Hmmm, playing as nomad civilization? Interesting but never tried that. :scan:

It reminded me of a civ style game I played long time ago. It had a fantasy setting and the orcs were nomadic. They just put their goblin :p units on hill squares and they digged gold. If the enemies approached they could just move them away to safer area.

And the reason is that before you settle your first city it seems huts cannot give barbarians. In fact I never saw a barbarian wandering around either so perhaps barbs can only spawn once all civs have settled.

It is possible that I mix up rules for Civ2 and Civ3 now, but I remember that huts never have barbarians if all of your units have an attack factor of zero.

It reminded me of a civ style game I played long time ago. It had a fantasy setting and the orcs were nomadic. They just put their goblin :p units on hill squares and they digged gold. If the enemies approached they could just move them away to safer area.
Did you have a mod that replaced units with orcs and goblins??

It is possible that I mix up rules for Civ2 and Civ3 now, but I remember that huts never have barbarians if all of your units have an attack factor of zero.

No that's not it. With all the huts you open you will have military units early on, often the good ones too like chariots and legions. And it's also perfectly safe to investigate huts with military units before you settle your first city.

No that's not it. With all the huts you open you will have military units early on, often the good ones too like chariots and legions. And it's also perfectly safe to investigate huts with military units before you settle your first city.
Then that rule applied to Civ3. I remember reading a gamelog from someone here, winning on a very high difficulty setting (Sid?), they did never build a military unit. I guess that if they got a military unit from a hut they disbanded it, or reloaded and retried until they did not get a military unit from the hut.

1. In Civ 2, it makes no difference what unit opens a hut. In Civ 4 it does.

There are five possible outcomes from a hut:
1.Tribes / nomads
2. Gold
3. Mercenaries
4. Advances
5. Barbarians

The probability of each is equal, 20%.
The prob ratio this is: 1:1:1:1:1.

If you have no village and have not reached GT50 (Game Turn 50, which is 1500BC in Deity), then Tribes & Barbs are not allowed. Their odds get put into the Merc category. Thus, 0:1:3:1:0. At turn 50 and later, then you can get Tribes and Barbs even with no village, with 1:1:1:1:1. If you get a village in this manner, it will also give you a free Palace!

About NONE settlers: You can get one from a Hut (subject to odds) for every 8 cities. You need 9 cities to be able to get a 2nd nomad from a hut, and 17 to have a chance at a 3rd. If you have a Nomad, then the Tribe odds if Nomad would result are put into the Advances outcome, thus 0:1:1:2:1. You will not get a Nomad if you have one, and don't have a village yet. When you discover Explosives, you will not get Nomads, and the odds are shifted to Gold outcomes. :)

Top Bottom