1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone else getting this save game crash?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Maxor127, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Maxor127

Maxor127 Warlord

It's only like 1100 AD and I just have my continent explored and I'm the only one on it. When I load in my game from the menu, it loads fine, but if I try to reload a later save from the game, Civ4 crashes to desktop. I'm assuming it's a memory problem since it doesn't happen with earlier saves, but I have 2 gigs and my system well exceeds the requirements for the game. Or it's a Vista problem since Vista sucks in general. Either way, my game shouldn't be crashing so I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem, particularly in Vista. I tried Solver's patch, but it didn't fix this particular crash. I did notice my games load a lot faster now though. I can't imagine what will happen when I actually start exploring the rest of the world and meeting the last few civs. The game crashes every time I load in my latest save during a game but loads in fine once I crash, reload the game and load it in from the main menu.

2. Hawki

Hawki Chieftain

Yea, I found that problem too, I'm using XP and it happens to me the same

3. Bad Brett

Bad Brett King

Me too. Maybe this thread should be moved to Bug Reports?

4. Maxor127

Maxor127 Warlord

Yeah, I was going to post it in bugs, but I didn't know what the nature of the crash was and I still don't know what's causing it. I thought maybe it was a problem with Vista and memory, but since it still happens in XP and 2 gigs is more than enough, then I don't know. I'm going to try memory saver in the .ini and see if it still happens.

*Edit* Still crashes... knew it wouldn't help.

5. prestermatt

prestermatt Chieftain

My BTS games regularly crash when I'm loading a saved file from within the game. No problems when loading from the menu.

I never had this problem before BTS.

6. RandomInsanity

RandomInsanity Warlord

Mine crashes sometimes when i load in game too. I just thought my copy was special...

7. Arlborn

Arlborn Legendary Noob

Mine too.
    I found out already that this bug quite normal...Stupid.
    At least it breaks a bit the habit of reloading xD

8. Maxor127

Maxor127 Warlord

I guess I'm going to hold off playing until it's fixed in a patch then. If it's crashing already so early, I'd hate to think what will happen once I actually search the world.

9. Portus

Portus Warlord

Same problem here

10. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_ King

This has already been reported in the bugs forum.

As I say there, this problem has been around since the beginning of civ4 for me. If I load a game once another has already been loaded, it brings down my entire system with a hard-lock at some point later. Ironically, the problems come for me in other applications after the game has been closed.

I would guess it's some major memory problems. It feels to me like this game doesn't let go of the memory from the old game properly when loading a new game. Closing the application completely and re-loaded the game, then your save removed the problem.

11. Arlborn

Arlborn Legendary Noob

I prefer just to don't reload then! ;)

12. sabo

sabo My Ancestors were Vikings

Yup, happens to me all the time. I have to get OUT of civ to reload

13. Maxor127

Maxor127 Warlord

It only started happening to me with BTS. I never had the problem in regular Civ4 or Warlords.

14. Kevin J

Kevin J Hewer of Wood

Same here. Also using vista.

15. Maxor127

Maxor127 Warlord

The game still crashes for me with 3.13 patch. I was trying to reload my old game though that was crashing in the first place. Has anyone with these crashes tried 3.13 with a fresh new game and seen if they have the crashing problem?

16. peter450

peter450 Prince

it's a bug, a lot of people have it (I'm one too), dont load from in game there's a 50% odd chance it will crash, for some people it's a 100% for other less but it's there, just exit to main menu an load from there

17. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_ King

You can also try exiting the game completely (not just exit to the main menu). This is the only way I can keep things stable.